Author Topic: $1  (Read 3026 times)

Offline coulsonc

• In Contestant's Row
$1
« on: October 26, 2010, 03:18:57 PM »
It seems that the whole point of the $1 bid is being lost. I'm not sure what some of the contestants think they're doing. When the lowest bid is $450, and you bid $1...

Offline coulsonc

• In Contestant's Row
Re: $1
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 03:30:08 PM »
Wow! Again, you amaze us all with your brilliance. Search, cut, and paste. You've got that down pat. Thanks for keeping us all in check by performing such a valuable service!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 03:47:46 PM »
None of the three topics linked have relevance to this one, never mind being similar.

Anyways, some people think clothes, etc. are cheap, because they should be.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 04:02:47 PM »
Funny thing is, 2 of the 3 aforementionned threads are over 30 days old, and should coulsonc have posted in one of those, brtsimpson142 would've been the first to call foul...

Seriously, man! It's getting old! If the mods decide that this thread is useless, they'll take action. But last time I checked, you weren't one. So just let people be, especially considering that this discussion is somewhat relevant after yesterday's show!

I'll agree with you, coulsonc. That girl in the fourth spot, yesterday, twice did like many people have been doing lately. When you don't know what to bid, go for $1.

But to me, it's their loss... It's not more dumb then when someone bids $1 when bidding second...

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 04:06:30 PM »
http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,15649.0.html

The only thing that thread has to do with this one is the fact that the phrase "$1" appears in it.

I agree with the original poster. It seems like bidding "one dollar" is more of a "I'm going to go on The Price is Right and bid a dollar!" mindset as opposed to "all of the other bids are over, so I'm going to bid a dollar!" mindset. However, it really doesn't bother me at all. If the contestant is more worried about getting in their dollar bid than getting up on stage, so be it. It's not like it's hurting anyone.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline coulsonc

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 04:27:26 PM »
The girl in the fourth spot, yesterday, twice did like many people have been doing lately. When you don't know what to bid, go for $1.

I think this is one of the misconceptions... that the $1 bid is a Hail Mary (which, of course, makes no sense). That and the "I'm going to bid $1 because it's funny" (which Drew plays into).

Offline SamtheBravesFan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 06:56:51 PM »
I think this is one of the misconceptions... that the $1 bid is a Hail Mary (which, of course, makes no sense). That and the "I'm going to bid $1 because it's funny" (which Drew plays into).

I'd be more inclined to agree that the $1 bid is a Hail Mary.  But I don't think any contestant has the presence of mind to play a $1 bid for a cheap laugh, especially from the host. 

Heck, it could be asked: what is potentially funny about a $1 bid other than Drew yelling "ONE DOLLAR!" at the top of his lungs?

Offline coulsonc

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 04:27:11 AM »
But I don't think any contestant has the presence of mind to play a $1 bid for a cheap laugh, especially from the host. 

It could be argued that many recent contestants exhibit no presence of mind at all.  :lol:

Offline FrenchFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • CCSCO
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 05:09:58 AM »
The one-dollar joke has become so worn that someone had to bid $3 to make Drew react. ^^
Le Juste Prix, my childhood gameshow, and love TPIR.

HYO: $75,515 (SC 1/2 (loss against a DSW), PG 2/2, getting up on stage 2/8 - 2 FFBC)
CSS: 2 wins, 1 DSW, 2 WSD, $202,298, best bid $118.

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 08:07:16 AM »
I'd be more inclined to agree that the $1 bid is a Hail Mary.  But I don't think any contestant has the presence of mind to play a $1 bid for a cheap laugh, especially from the host. 

Heck, it could be asked: what is potentially funny about a $1 bid other than Drew yelling "ONE DOLLAR!" at the top of his lungs?

Bidding $400 would guarantee not going over at this point, as the cheapest IUFBs are in the $400-$500 range, and have been since probably the early 90s.

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 09:02:35 AM »
Bidding $400 would guarantee not going over at this point, as the cheapest IUFBs are in the $400-$500 range, and have been since probably the early 90s.

I think you're missing the point! Bidding $1 is good strategy, but only if you're bidding last and only if you think the other three went over. Those two concepts, and especially the last one, seem to be foreign to more and more contestants, nowadays!