Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/29/2010 (All Hallows Price 4)  (Read 63191 times)

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/29/2010 (All Hallow's Price 2010)
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 04:12:17 PM »
My .02...

I think The Wizard of Oz theme was a lot of fun. The cast seemed to get on really well with it, the costumes were good. Jeff Davis is really starting to grow on me and at this point, I wouldn't mind him taking over for Rich permanently.

Golden Brick Road - to all those out there who are complaining that we haven't seen the "real" Golden Road in some time, I say...really? Of all the things to gripe about, really? I have a perfect solution...I say retire Golden Road so it dies with the dignity of retaining its original name. Would that make you all happy? As for the game itself, too bad it wasn't won, but, that second price was pretty evil.

Coming or Going - Nice win, there.

Most Expensive - I'm curious as to how Jeff is reading the prize descriptions when he's on stage like that. He seemed to be reading it even before the doors were fully opened, so, I doubt that someone was holding a cue card for him. Anyone know?

Safe Crackers - Dumbass. That's all.

Squeeze Play - Always a bit tricky when they pull out six-digit Squeeze Play. Say what you will about that (incredibly attractive) contestant, she played the game well.

Pay the Rent - When will you guys get it...they don't WANT this game to be won. It's the old bait and switch...the allure of this game is that $100,000 CAN be won; the producers are hoping that it WON'T be won. As it is, it becomes a fairly easier game to win $10,000 than Punch-a-Bunch, but, not as much as Plinko or Grand Game.

Showcase Showdown #2 - I wonder if the west coast was affected by the news break-in? If not, perhaps someone can upload that segment to YouTube?

Showcases - Showcase #2 seemed like a better version of the season 37 "Drewcases" what with everyone (including Drew, himself) getting involved. I think it flowed really well. And at least we didn't have silly bids like $4,200 like we did last year.

Offline sethpac

• Outside in Line
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 04:16:22 PM »
I hate to break this to everyone, but a game that offers $100,000 as a top prize isn't supposed to be won with ease.  If they would stop listening to the peanut gallery and took a couple of seconds to think it through, they might give a good run. 

This is a very good game.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 04:24:58 PM »
I hate to break this to everyone, but a game that offers $100,000 as a top prize isn't supposed to be won with ease

Fixed your post for you....

The problem with IUFB 1 is that nobody expects to be bidding on anything besides the small prize they see.  All this stuff about calling plans, gift cards, and packages as IUFB's needs to stop.  Just offer one thing, and let people big on it.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline coulsonc

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 04:42:59 PM »
I hate to break this to everyone, but a game that offers $100,000 as a top prize isn't supposed to be won with ease.

There's a difference between being hard to win (e.g. Deal or No Deal) vs. impossible to win (Pay the Rent). When you watch Deal or No Deal, you know that the $1 million prize is almost certainly not going to be won, but you know that it *might* be won.

In contrast, there was absolutely no realistic way that today's PTR was going to be won, except by accident. None. Zero. Nada. 0%. The items/prices were obscure at best and, as has been pointed out before, even if the contestant was fairly sure of the prices, there is no realistic way to perform the necessary math calculations while standing on stage.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 04:46:25 PM »
...and let people big on it.

big = bid

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 05:08:56 PM »
Good, my TV wasn't screwed up.  The black-and-white opening was intentional.

And if we're doing a Wizard of Oz theme today, that can mean only one thing:  Golden Road!  Excuse me... Golden Brick Road.  I believe this is the first pricing game ever to get a special name change for a special episode.  In any case, you could kinda see this game coming from a mile away.

Did anybody here actually pick the friggin' random designer crap in Most Expensive?  Or did you get suckered into picking the tiki hut, like I did?

A contestant in CR bid 911.  That begs the question:  "Too soon?"

Yay!  Safe Crackers for a car! :P

I can't believe that Vaughn had the temerity to pick a price with 0 as the second digit.  What is this, 10 Chances?

That Highbrow bubble chair is $4,000+ now?!

There was no way that I would've won Pay the Rent.  That little canister of nuts totally threw me off.  I did not think that would be over $6.00.  I had a price of $6.00+ on the water.

Didn't lime green cars go out of style in 1979?

$1,000 won't get you a heck of a lot in Beverly Hills.

My showcase bids:
Genesis--$28,507
Charger--$30,507
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 05:10:37 PM »
And if we're doing a Wizard of Oz theme today, that can mean only one thing:  Golden Road!  Excuse me... Golden Brick Road.  I believe this is the first pricing game ever to get a special name change for a special episode.  In any case, you could kinda see this game coming from a mile away.

Seems you forgot about Green Road, Fireball.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 05:19:04 PM »
Nice show today we had 2 wins and today's was alot better than yesterday's.

It's extremely depressing to see people be excited about a 2/6 show. Still, shouldn't have been. Safe Crackers was totally facepalm-worthy.

I liked the open with the B&W, but I thought it would've been cute to start out in B&W with a shot of a tornado hitting TV City, and Drew in his dressing room getting knocked out by a picture or something, then segway into the opening.

LOVED Showcase #2. Wish they'd do more like it. Sucks that it takes Halloween to get one semi-skit showcase.

Think we'll ever seen Golden Road again?

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2010, 05:30:13 PM »
Seems you forgot about Green Road, Fireball.

Never heard of Green Road.  I searched the term and I see that it was used this past April 22.  Seems you forgot that I was in my final weeks of seminary then and therefore was unable to watch the show or even read this forum.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2010, 05:46:43 PM »
Oh, man! I missed it! CBS News preempted it with a special report about Suspicious Packages in Several Northeast Cities. I hope someone will upload it up on YouTube in HD so I can catch up on all the fun I missed.

Offline GR WHAMMY

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Just wants to enjoy the show!
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2010, 05:59:34 PM »
Never heard of Green Road.  I searched the term and I see that it was used this past April 22.  Seems you forgot that I was in my final weeks of seminary then and therefore was unable to watch the show or even read this forum.
Green Road was the Earth Day version of Golden ROad
Just wants to enjoy the show!
HYO WINNINGS: $3675

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2010, 06:20:28 PM »
As the 2nd SCSD was not shown on the East COast, I'll say that the Squeeze pLay contestant ended up winning the SCSD and the showcase. The showcase winner's grand total, by my calculations, included a $1K win in her SCSD.

Offline PaladinTornado

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2010, 07:20:19 PM »
Roger, when was the last time someone didn't end the safe combination in 0?

It's been at least since the Barker era, I am fairly certain.

Now, only 3 Strikes remains to be seen this season (except, of course, for our 3 AWOL games).

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2010, 07:27:59 PM »
Loved the themed show. I loved the B&W open and the fact that they all came out of the big doors. The curtains around the studio were nice (as a note the dark tones working well gives them more reason to bring back the red and blue curtains). There was one problem I had with the theme. I think that there should've been a pair of witches legs under the big wheel or PTR house.

Game wise I think that this was a horrible show.

I also had a problem with IUFB1. I don't care if you can hear or not or see the $500 gift cards. The fact of the matter was that those were two iPads. One of them cost around $500. So why bid anything under $1000? That got to me.

G(B)R: Tricky second prize. Witch cackle with the losing horns=funny. As for its name change, it is still the same game played the same way. The problem with the name changes is that it shows that they may relegate its playings to special shows only. I hope not.

ME: I picked the hut, but am not surprised. Safe: I guessed 760. I guess the contestant thought he was playing 10C.

PTR: Who was expecting this to be won? I will say my problem, though lie in the fact that they made it so hard that not even the 10k could be won. I'm glad that the smart woman knew when to bail.

I think Grocery Game would've been better to play with the theme they had in PTR and stood a better chance to be won.

As for the Katie interruption, I think instead of missing the loss of SCSD 2, thank your lucky stars that it was a developing story and was off by the Showcase. I think that Showcase 2 was great in focusing on each character and I love Lanisha.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:31:15 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2010, 07:52:24 PM »
I hate to break this to everyone, but a game that offers $100,000 as a top prize isn't supposed to be won with ease.  If they would stop listening to the peanut gallery and took a couple of seconds to think it through, they might give a good run.  

I agree with this post.

I am sure that PTR will be won before it is 'retired'.

I loved the theme and thought it was done well.   The Safe Crackers moron nearly ruined the entire show with his ridiculous selection.   We should put together a list of all the contestants' pricing game epic fails this season as there has been at least one per week.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:54:16 PM by brosa0 »