Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/29/2010 (All Hallows Price 4)  (Read 62940 times)

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/29/2010 (All Hallow's Price 2010)
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2010, 12:07:12 AM »
Was that the Big Door banging open as the $1000 shopping spree was being described?

Sorry for the double-post here....

It seems that since the models have been mic'ed, we have heard many sounds that weren't noticable before.  Namely, the big doors banging open and the reveals in Switch, Easy as 1-2-3, and Danger Price come to mind.  It all comes off as a bit sloppy.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2010, 12:37:18 PM »
I disagree with the idea that Mike et al. want Pay the Rent never to be won. I think they just want it to be won extremely rarely. After all, extremely rarely is the better result and it's not as if they made it impossible.

Really?  Are you telling me you could have looked at that game and figured out the solution in 60 seconds or so?

I didn't think so.  And you understand that the cheapest item doesn't go in the mailbox.  The contestant obviously didn't, which is exactly what they want.

A game whose rules intentionally deceive the contestant is not intended to be won.

Or think of a DSW; $250 is really small window. They don't want it to happen much. But I imagine that a DSW coming up less than 5% of the time is good enough because viewers realize that it could actually happen in a given show.

Totally different scenario.  A double showcase win is a bonus.

Also, with Pay the Rent, if you know the most expensive item, stick it in the vault, and you have a 1/30 chance, even if you place the remaining items completely at random, of winning $100,000 [5!/(2!*2!) = 120/4 = 30 for the 5! ways to place those items, divided by 2! twice since the two items on the first floor and second floor are interchangeable]. That is significantly difficult, but it's not Plinko's astronomical odds for a $50,000 prize, notwithstanding the fact that getting 5 chips is by no means a guarantee. The fact that Pay the Rent should have strategy, but is essentially placing the items at random or has an incredibly farfetched strategy (let's see, second least or third least expensive in the mailbox?), is what's annoying me. Again though, 1/30 is slim but nowhere near impossible, so I'd expect a winner at some point soon.

Why would you say that?  It's pretty obvious now that the least expensive item is never going to go in the mailbox, yet every contestant who's played the game so far has clearly tried to put it there.

It's kind of like waiting for the first price in Push Over to be the right answer -- theoretically, it should happen once every six playings, but it's been wrong every single time for 11 and a half years.

It seems that since the models have been mic'ed, we have heard many sounds that weren't noticable before.  Namely, the big doors banging open and the reveals in Switch, Easy as 1-2-3, and Danger Price come to mind.  It all comes off as a bit sloppy.

Kind of likes Drew's conversations with the Beauties!
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline yabbaguy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2010, 07:18:57 PM »
It all comes down to how much of a learning curve there may be to this game. Realizing that it's essentially a ridiculously intellectual exercise which deceives any of its naive players, there may very well be someone like me who figures the game out and has that aforementioned 1/30 chance if they can spot the expensive item.

Although then there's the "but they'll never let the smart Price players in" etc. It's a 1/30 crapshoot at its optimum, I guess is the argument. Basically, the game is rubbish, but it's not impossible.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2010, 08:29:48 PM »
But neither was the Million bucks in Clock Game in the Specials....

Actually, from the mouth of one Mr. Dobkowitz himself....."that was the only one we counted on being won!"

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2010, 10:55:09 PM »
I have to say I was surprised to see Pay the Rent and Golden Road in the same show; not because I expected both (or even either of them, for that matter) to be won or that the budget would be broken, but just because of time constraints.  But they obviously got around that with 4 dull pricing games filling out the remainder!

If nothing else, I did expect Pay the Rent to pop up, even though we just saw it 1 week prior to this.  However, I was expecting to see it done up as a haunted house; I wouldn't have thought to have the pair of legs sticking out from beneath, though this made more sense in retrospect.

Speaking of Pay the Rent, while I could have actually won the $100,000 on last week's playing (yes, I actually got them all placed correctly!), today's setup was yet another pattern:  the complete opposite of what I thought it was!  I actually had the floors completely reversed! 

Did anyone else notice that in the one Showcase (I believe they offered a trip to the Alps) the cue that they used was from the same song/piece that the Cliffhangers cue was taken from off of that yodelling album?  I recognized it from having listened to it online a couple of months ago.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2010, 07:19:28 AM »
Regarding Pay the Rent, they would prob never do this but if they gave the contestant an opportunity to make any changes once the products are placed on the house AND if they showed the correct locations after the game is over then maybe the game would catch on a bit and maybe they would have one winner per season.  Right now the game is very disappointing coming off of how they build it up so much...

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »
I think the proper thing to do when paying Play the Rent, is to determine what you believe is the highest priced item first. Once you figure that out, you should work your way down, instead of up. A bit awkward to do on a stage with 300 people yelling at you, but I think it would work better than going from bottom to top. And with the rate they have been playing it so far, I stand by declaration that it will be won sometime this season.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/29/2010 (All Hallows Price 4)
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2010, 03:30:14 PM »
It'll be played by somebody who's figured it out eventually this year, but "figuring it out" and actually winning are two different things.

Oh, recap's finally up.
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline sethpac

• Outside in Line
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2010, 06:04:49 PM »
Wow.  Didn't mean to ruffle everyone's feathers by saying that PTR is a good game. 
All I was trying to point out is that the game CAN BE won with just a small amount of thought process by the contestant. 
I realize that it's a game show, and not UNICEF.  That they just aren't going to give away $100K without some "work" being done. 
I still feel that this is a good game.  And after watching all episodes this year, feel it will be won before the low-watt bulb they have play 10 chances wins the car, let alone the 2nd prize.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2010, 07:35:29 PM »
I still feel that this is a good game.  And after watching all episodes this year, feel it will be won before the low-watt bulb they have play 10 chances wins the car, let alone the 2nd prize.

Why the hell would you think somebody would win a game as convoluted as Pay the Rent when you freely admit that people are having trouble winning even Ten Chances?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2010, 04:59:44 PM »
Golden Brick Road:  That was an evil setup!
Pay The Rent:  Good thing Estralletta bailed - that was a tough setup.

Pretty good overall, IMHO.

I liked the Wizard Of Oz theme.  I wonder why no one was dressed up as the Wicked Witch or the Wizard.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline JonSea31

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2011, 01:18:47 PM »
I saw the replay yesterday, and I must say it was - by far - the best Halloween special ever.  At least the second Showcase Showdown didn't get victimized by President Obama or anything CBS News related this time.  At least there was as little as one winner on the pricing game agenda, unlike the 2009 edition.  And the 2009 edition had two super low Showcase bids of $4,200.  At least something good came out of it - there was a guaranteed winner and zero chance of an overbid in that Showcase.

Plus it was an oddity to see Pay The Rent as the last pricing game.  It's a wonder I saw Coming or Going, Mo$t Expensive, Safe Crackers, and Squeeze Play all in a row - they had to do some squeeze play themselves trying to fit in a lengthy pricing game like Pay The Rent.  And the only other time Pay The Rent was played outside the first pricing game was the game's second playing, which was the second pricing game on the agenda that episode.

But one thing comes to mind:  the dog that accompanied Rachel, is it possible it was Rachel's own dog?  My friend in my apartment told me the dog seemed to be very content with Rachel.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:21:59 PM by JonSea31 »

Offline pjheath

• In the Audience
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2011, 10:54:48 AM »
I really enjoyed it! Let's hope that this year's Halloween episode is just as good as last year's
I really like the setup of the set, the costumes, the music for the Golden "Brick" Road (Very much like the Wizard of Oz)
It was really excited when they had that fancy car at the end of the Golden "Brick" Road.  Too bad it wasn't won, but it was a nice car!