Author Topic: What's with all the negativity?  (Read 12837 times)

Offline shieldsy101

• Walking the Golden Road
What's with all the negativity?
« on: November 16, 2010, 10:56:11 PM »
(Before I get started, let me re-assure everyone that this is by no means a personal attack on anyone in particular, this is just the general atmosphere I feel)

As many of you know, I am from Australia. I joined the boards around 2 1/2 years ago, because like practically everyone here, I love gameshows, in particular The Price is Right, Wheel of Fortune and Sale of the Century (our version). When I came on here, I was a bit uncomfortable with the amount of negativity directed towards the current regime of TPIR. Let me say this first, I may be one of the few people on this board who say that Mike, Drew and the rest of the TPIR crew have done a fantastic job, and that TPIR will go on for at least another 10 years. So my question to everyone on this board is.....

WHAT DID MIKE, DREW AND THE REST OF THE TPIR CAST DO TO DESERVE THIS PASSIONATE ANGER?

I'm cool with people saying that Price will never be the same since Bob and Roger left. Me personally, looking back on those shows, I prefer the new Price. Because when you strip back all the frills of the set recently, it's the same show that it was 3 1/2 years ago.
6 IUFB's
6 PRICING GAMES
2 SHOWCASE SHOWDOWNS
2 SHOWCASES
1 WINNER

So what Mike and Drew do to deserve all this anger?
Hurricane Microsoft - It'll make your Windows Crash
Andrew Hansen from the Chaser's War on Everything (Australian Comedy Series) discussing whether companies should brand a natural disaster

Offline pete1974

Re: What's with all the negativity?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 10:59:02 PM »
(said with tongue firmly in cheek)....They`re not Bob and Roger :D

Offline shieldsy101

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 11:21:10 PM »
Thank you for your opinion.

Have a merry Christmas  :-D
Andrew Hansen from the Chaser's War on Everything (Australian Comedy Series) discussing whether companies should brand a natural disaster

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 11:24:21 PM »
Quote from: shieldsy101
WHAT DID MIKE, DREW AND THE REST OF THE TPIR CAST DO TO DESERVE THIS PASSIONATE ANGER?

I'm cool with people saying that Price will never be the same since Bob and Roger left. Me personally, looking back on those shows, I prefer the new Price. Because when you strip back all the frills of the set recently, it's the same show that it was 3 1/2 years ago.

I have a serious question, then:  if it's the same show that was on three and a half years ago, why do  you prefer the show now than when Bob and Roger were there?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 11:29:19 PM »
(Before I get started, let me re-assure everyone that this is by no means a personal attack on anyone in particular, this is just the general atmosphere I feel)

The way you're interpreting the atmosphere is quite correct, and you honestly shouldn't expect it to change any time soon.

As many of you know, I am from Australia. I joined the boards around 2 1/2 years ago, because like practically everyone here, I love gameshows, in particular The Price is Right, Wheel of Fortune and Sale of the Century (our version). When I came on here, I was a bit uncomfortable with the amount of negativity directed towards the current regime of TPIR.

Well, then with all due respect, perhaps that should have been your first hint that this wasn't the type of hang-out you were looking for.  Golden-Road was built with the blessings of Bob and Roger, and many of us spent a lot of time studying the way they did things.  It shouldn't come as a surprise that when Roger was cast aside and replaced by someone who didn't even have any experience with game shows, most of us were skeptical...and most of that skepticism has proven valid.

Let me say this first, I may be one of the few people on this board who say that Mike, Drew and the rest of the TPIR crew have done a fantastic job, and that TPIR will go on for at least another 10 years.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you are.

They took a format that was still working perfectly well after 36 years and decided it needed to be fixed.

6 IUFB's
6 PRICING GAMES
2 SHOWCASE SHOWDOWNS
2 SHOWCASES
1 WINNER

Now, I don't understand this argument one bit.  It almost makes it look like you think you're wrong and are trying to rhetorically mask it.  To make the show look like it's still the same, you have to strip away everything besides the basic format, because if you include anything in your description about the way that format is presented, it's not going to sound like The Price Is Right anymore.

(Oh, and I think Frank poses a very fair question.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Rod Roddy is not amused.
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
I can't speak for shieldsy, but the show right now kind of feels like some of the foreign versions I've seen.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

The actual retail price is...

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Time to Stack The Deck, you lucky contestant!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:50:05 PM »
I guess I'd like them to get back to basics a little more prize wise. Sure, a trash compactor isn't glamorous or "cool", but it's a heck of a lot more practical than a $20,000 wine vault.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 11:50:59 PM »
Several reasons for the negativity,

Mike and Drew took a show that had great class, entertainment, and wit and gradually turned into more of comedy bordering on slapstick antics.  (The Fried Chicken Showcases, Pie Fights, novelty items.)  The format of the show may be similar, but its  not the same show, because of these comic elements.  For Mike and Drew, Price is Right is a paycheck.  For Bob and Roger it was an American institution, a way of life.

Many things are changing in small, but significant areas.  Many Barker Mannerisms have been removed from the show.  There is no such thing as a loyal friend and true anymore under this staff.  Drew was angry at the Perfect Showcase bid from several seasons ago, when the contestant did nothing wrong,  A loyal friend and true who happened to be in the audience and had studied prizes on Price for years, knew an exact showcase bid, the contestant heard it, made that bid, and the staff's feeling of cheating was very upsetting to the members of our community.

Because of this incident and a few others like it, the members of our community, who had had personal friendships with Bob and Roger for many, many, years, and were given special perks to visit the studio and have a wonderful time with Bob and his staff were either banned from the studio, or they had it sit a certain number of rows back, because the members in question were "too good" for the current type of audience that the show's producers want to attract.  What it boiled down to was, very loyal and dear members of Golden Road.net and Price is Right were being punished for being loyal friends and true to the show, and this has upset them deeply to this day.

The show saw what was happening and created harder set-ups with more generic prize descriptions that would be almost impossible to win. (i.e bidding on groceries for a year, a private jet to Vegas, a trip to some little nothing place like Palm Springs, which is nice, but for Price is Right, not enough.) The staff cut down on specific prizes because of the instances above.

The terrible US economy has seen a decrease in luxury cars, boats, motor homes, things that used to be staples on the Barker version.  Worse still, was the set up of games were 0 and 5 for the most part were eliminated as good ending price choices.  Lucky Seven numbers ending in 1 and 9.  The dramatic deceases in wins from season to season since the Drew era.  The firring of Rich Fields was also a terrible blow to  the Price is Right!  Many miss him and want him back.  Rich stated in interviews that Mike Richards and CBS Fremantle wanted the show to be more comical and less predictable, and those words go against the grain of everything that Bob and Roger did for the last 35 years.

Shows are edited down due to commercials and time constraints.  The old classic good 45-50 minutes of episodes from the Barker era has now been reduced to about 38 minutes of showtime.  Drew has no time to interact with contestants and the games.  The show is so rushed nowadays.

The biggest blunders is that Mike Richards at only about 35 years of age, has almost no other game show experience, and Drew's moods still fluctuate from show to show and game to game.  There are days when Drew does a very good job, but there are days when Drew is putridly bad, like he could care less.  And even on good Drew mood days, there are many more losses than in the past, which bring down the overall mood of the show.  

What Drew lacks is an emotional attachment to the audience and the quick stories and spontaneity that Bob was a master at with contestants.  Bob got the contestants, the audience, the viewers involved and absorbed in the show, always encouraging the importance of viewing the show as often as possible and ways to use strategy to do well.  Drew's just there as "a nice guy to give away prizes."  There's still very little great contestant interaction with Drew, UNLESS that contestant does something really bizarre or slapstick in nature to get Drew to play off of those antics.  Bob made every contestant on the show feel special and valued.  With Bob, viewers at home and in the studio were always a part of the action.  Bob would make very funny and classic comments based on a contestant's reaction.  Drew uses the same mannerisms when a Contestant "Comes on Down!" or wins or loses a game.

Price is still an OK show most of the time, but the above reasons show why it has slipped from its days of yesteryear.

Joe

Offline WilliamPorygon

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 12:01:33 AM »
1 WINNER

There's the problem.  Back when Bob hosted and Roger produced the show, it wasn't uncommon to see more than 1 winner on any given episode.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 12:33:01 AM »
 :lol:

Offline PriceFan07

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 01:30:51 AM »
I can't speak for shieldsy, but the show right now kind of feels like some of the foreign versions I've seen.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

I get the same feeling from time to time as well. It doesn't always feel like the classic game show everyone has come to know and love, it feels like a spin-off...I get strong "foreign TPiR" vibes when I see the new Ten Chances in particular.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Gwendolyn Osbourne-Smith! Manuela Arbelaez! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 02:17:32 AM »

As many of you know, I am from Australia. I joined the boards around 2 1/2 years ago, because like practically everyone here, I love gameshows, in particular The Price is Right, Wheel of Fortune and Sale of the Century (our version). When I came on here, I was a bit uncomfortable with the amount of negativity directed towards the current regime of TPIR. Let me say this first, I may be one of the few people on this board who say that Mike, Drew and the rest of the TPIR crew have done a fantastic job, and that TPIR will go on for at least another 10 years. So my question to everyone on this board is.....

Before I get started, let me reassure everyone that this is just my personal opinion.

I am a bit uncomfortable when people who have been exposed mostly to foreign versions of the show decide to level a large amount of negativity towards those of us who actually grew up here watching it, because the current show more resembles their beloved foreign imitations.

Now let's watch the fire fly.

I'm cool with people saying that Price will never be the same since Bob and Roger left.

The rest of this post suggests otherwise.

Me personally, looking back on those shows, I prefer the new Price. Because when you strip back all the frills of the set recently, it's the same show that it was 3 1/2 years ago.

Guest bands. Random 'celebrity' visitors. Contestants being screened for looks instead of screen presence. Stand-up comedians as announcers. Games planned to deliberately be stacked against the contestants.

Yeah, this is really the same show it used to be.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 02:33:40 AM »
Actually, I gave up a long time ago caring about trying to change things for the better.  Heck, I predicted the current status a lilttle more than two years ago, and was for the most part, laughed at, ridiculed, broasted, chastised, etc. as being "unloyal".  (What do you think now CF?)

For those of you who don't make it into chat, I've been "taking OVER/UNDER" bets on not only the number of wins each day, but how much will be won each day.  Of the say 25 times I've done it, only once did I ever say there would be 4 wins and it was done as A JOKE!  The worst part is it's ridiculous to even think there will be more than two wins on any given show nowadays.

Would they even be able to if they tried setup the show to FORCE SIX WINS much less know which six games they should play to perform such a feat, much less know how to even setup a FORCED WIN?  I'll take the don't on that thank you very much.  No, I don't want to see samples of such a lineup; you either know how to do it, or you don't.  Unless of course RD wants to sneak in, but then of course you'd be outed and that would be "bad" :D!

Hint:  the setups used today (airdate 11/16/2010) for two games that could be FORCED WINS were by all means setup to be LOST.  Yeah kiddoes, SBS was setup to be lost.  Period. Pushy too.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:41:31 AM by FPGWillyT »

Offline shieldsy101

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 03:09:16 AM »
I have a serious question, then:  if it's the same show that was on three and a half years ago, why do  you prefer the show now than when Bob and Roger were there?

1. Better and a bigger variety of prizes.
2. Foreign cars (not just Focuses, Cobalts and Jeep Wranglers)
3. The fact that Fremantle has managed to bring Price out of the 1970's/1980's and into the 21st century (I am a radio announcer, and I believe that you have to change your format frequently to keep it fresh, so I believe what Price did for basically 35 years, bar a few cosmetic changes, was STUPID!!!!!)

What I don't understand, is shows like Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy change something at least something every season, and no-one (not even Big Jon's Forum, my main forum) bats and eyelid. Yet, when something super minor happens on Price, it's all HIT THE DECK, THE SHOW's GOING TO BE CANCELLED IN  A WEEK. AAAAAAAGGGGGHHH!!!!!

If you don't like the way the show's going, here's something you can use.....

IT'S CALLED A REMOTE

USE IT.....

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 03:18:23 AM »
MrPlinko said it better than I could have ever said it.

With that being said, quite honestly, the S39 premiere was the only show that felt like classic Price to me in almost 3 years.  S36 was chock-full of shows that felt like classic Price.  Then again, Roger was still at the helm at that time.

People will always have their opinions about what is working and what isn't.  To some people, the final Barker years were boring.  I've heard that here, there, and everywhere.  I'd have to say that opinion is one that doesn't fit me.  Even through Bob's "senior moments", he always had a temperament that was stern but dramatic.  He knew how to build excitement in games.  Most of all, he knew the tradition that was the show.

Drew is not necessarily terrible, but there are areas that could be improved.  The man is 51, and I can assure you that my five-year-old sister is more mature than him at times.  One area that severely needs improvement is the manhandling of the grocery items and small prizes.  This behavior alone has caused me to tune out and only watch on occasion.

Using an analogy, Price went to feeling like an ordained Top 5 University with Professor Barker to feeling like a Chuck E. Cheese franchise.  Being educated, behaving like an adult, and knowing the material was valued in Professor Barker's classroom, with rewards if you succeeded.  On the other hand, the Chuck E. Cheese version of Price gives you a "token" to insert into a crapshoot of a game that you know you're probably not going to win because the setup is impossible.  From a behavioral standpoint, if you've ever been to a Chuck E. Cheese, you'll know that the atmosphere is one rife with the feeling that authority does not exist, and the kids run around like demon spawn doing as they please.

To answer the OP's question, for 35 years, some of us watched the gold standard in television, and to have that stripped away with asinine behavior and things that degrade that gold standard is offensive to a lot of the people here.  Honestly, I don't blame those people one bit.

I believe what Price did for basically 35 years, bar a few cosmetic changes, was STUPID!!!!!

Respectfully, I hope you know you just shot your credibility in the foot with that statement.  Without all those "stupid" 35 years, as you put it, there would be no Price in Australia.  To say that you do not like the first 35 years of our show is saying that you dislike all foreign versions of the show, including your own.  I hope you aren't running on the premise that Australian Price would've existed without American Price.  It wouldn't have.

Tyler
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.