Author Topic: What's with all the negativity?  (Read 20557 times)

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
Re: What's with all the negativity?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 04:10:31 AM »
Quote from: shieldsy10
1. Better and a bigger variety of prizes.
2. Foreign cars (not just Focuses, Cobalts and Jeep Wranglers)

Don't really care.  "Better" is debatable, though.

Quote from: shieldsy101
3. The fact that Fremantle has managed to bring Price out of the 1970's/1980's and into the 21st century (I am a radio announcer, and I believe that you have to change your format frequently to keep it fresh, so I believe what Price did for basically 35 years, bar a few cosmetic changes, was STUPID!!!!!)

And this one I was waiting for.  Why do you have to change your format frequently?  I really hate when radio stations do that.  There was one station I loved a few years ago that changed to a generic rock format in 2008.  Bleh.  The most popular stations here are actually the ones that don't constantly change formats.

And what's so important about being all 21st century, anyway?  Something being old doesn't necessarily make it bad, and something being new doesn't necessarily make it better.  The Price is Right was doing great in the ratings while Bob was hosting.  Apparently the viewers didn't mind that the show wasn't arbitrarily forcing itself into the 21st century.

And green screens are very much not 21st century, it should be noted.

Why was it stupid for the show to stay basically the same for thirty-five years?  It wasn't broken:  why fix it?

What I don't understand, is shows like Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy change something at least something every season, and no-one (not even Big Jon's Forum, my main forum) bats and eyelid.

Um, Jeopardy! hasn't really changed that much, relatively speaking.  Wheel of Fortune has, and I've got a lot of complaints about that one, really.  But since I was never as obsessed with Wheel of Fortune as I was with The Price is Right, I don't have the same passion.  I feel a number of shows have gotten worse as time goes by.  I hardly have that passion to complain about every single one of them.

If you don't like the way the show's going, here's something you can use.....

IT'S CALLED A REMOTE

USE IT.....

You can just as easily take your own advice and not come to this site if you don't like it.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 04:20:07 AM »
IT'S CALLED A REMOTE.  USE IT.....

Ah the old "change the channel" standby (even default) response when the lovers have nothing else to go on.  That one NEVER gets old for me.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 05:24:21 AM »
And this one I was waiting for.  Why do you have to change your format frequently?  I really hate when radio stations do that.  There was one station I loved a few years ago that changed to a generic rock format in 2008.  Bleh.  The most popular stations here are actually the ones that don't constantly change formats.

There’s changing formats and changing what’s in the format.  Adult contemporary stations for example aren’t playing Barry Manilow into Neil Diamond like they did 25 years ago.  Oldies and classic rock stations are playing ‘80s tunes.  It’s called keeping up with the audience advertisers want to reach, the core objective for a business that makes its money based on advertising revenue.

And what's so important about being all 21st century, anyway?  Something being old doesn't necessarily make it bad, and something being new doesn't necessarily make it better. 

No, but an audience that’s all old isn’t sellable (save for Scooter Store and “diabetus” supply ads). 

The Price is Right was doing great in the ratings while Bob was hosting.  Apparently the viewers didn't mind that the show wasn't arbitrarily forcing itself into the 21st century.

“Doing great?”  By surpassing all of its daytime network brethren in terms of factors like average age?  Being the show of choice for the retirement home set isn’t doing great when it comes to what matters.   

Why was it stupid for the show to stay basically the same for thirty-five years?  It wasn't broken:  why fix it?
Because perhaps had they paid some attention to the demographic issues earlier, they might not have reached the point they did. 

Um, Jeopardy! hasn't really changed that much, relatively speaking.  Wheel of Fortune has, and I've got a lot of complaints about that one, really.  But since I was never as obsessed with Wheel of Fortune as I was with The Price is Right, I don't have the same passion.  I feel a number of shows have gotten worse as time goes by.  I hardly have that passion to complain about every single one of them.

There are still some people complaining about that whippersnapper Trebek not being like Art, too.  But those folks aside, Jeopardy still plays two rounds of questions and a final category, just like Price plays two sets of three games and a showdown, plus the showcase.  In that regard, both keep their same format.  But Jeopardy has changed sets several times, updated music, added things like video clues (from the Clue Crew), etc.  Wheel has made more cosmetic changes and the one core change of dropping shopping for ceramic dogs and the like, but it’s still multiple rounds of spin/solve at heart.  And both demonstrate that making updates to look current while keeping the core structure can work (more than a quarter century at the top of their particular field, with demos that—though clearly towards the higher end of the 25-54 spectrum—bring in good advertisers and keep replenishing at the younger end enough to hold firm).   

Offline JonSea31

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 07:34:24 AM »
I am one person who does not get involved in any "bashing" threads.  If I see any bashing threads, I just stay away from them at all costs.

Besides, I realize that if I have nothing nice to say about TPIR - whether it be the host, the contestants, the models, the Dob, the pricing games, the gameplay, or the show in general - I just keep it hush-hush and move on.

This is why I only post when absolutely necessary.  I have been a member of this forum for more than 3 1/2 years, and so far I have been a very clean person for the most part.  I may have had one hiccup in my early days of posting, but I learned a lesson due to a PM I received, and I moved on to better topics.

To sum it up:  If it is uncertain that a thread may be negative or not, I keep away from it.  And that's my 2 cents.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 08:13:47 AM »
Actually, I gave up a long time ago caring about trying to change things for the better.  Heck, I predicted the current status a lilttle more than two years ago, and was for the most part, laughed at, ridiculed, broasted, chastised, etc. as being "unloyal".

I know how you feel.

Shieldsy, the negativity is based on the fact that we no longer have the ear of the "insiders" at the show, something to which we were accustomed, and we can no longer feel as if we can dictate what the show does or doesn't do just because we discuss it here.

You mention your radio background and how you feel formats SHOULD be changed, apparently just to change them up, the radio listener in me HATES this.  I want to turn to my favorite radio station and know what I'm going to find.  Radio format changes here in the U.S. mean switching from Country to Rap overnight.  Is that the kind of change you like? 

'Price' spoiled us over the years by being a show that specifically DIDN'T change things just for the sake of change, and we liked the idea of always knowing (within reason) what to expect.  A lot of the viewers of 'Price' seem to feel the way I do, and when what appeared to be "major" changes for a show that had changed so little over the years came along, they bucked. 

The problem NOW is that most people seem to refuse to accept that the show now is what it is.  It's as if some people here STILL think that just because they start a thread saying they don't like this or don't like that, whatever they're complaining about will just suddenly go away.  Or, at the very least, we'll actually hear from the producer or an insider about WHY the change was made.

For years, we told ourselves -- as long as it looked like Barker WASN'T going to retire -- that there'd only be ONE Bob Barker.  For years, we told ourselves that the show would never be the same if he were to leave.  Then he left, and we were proven right.  And being proven right in this case made people really, really angry.

In other words, the negativity today is the frustration that seems to come with so many people STILL not accepting the fact that the show they WANT 'Price' to be is over.  It's not coming back.  Barker's not coming back.  Johnny, Janice, Dian, Holly, Rod aren't coming back.  Rich isn't likely coming back, either.  The only thing we can expect now is that there's absolutely NOTHING we can expect.  And all of the "Mikey" foolishness is basically the immaturity of a child's temper tantrum:  we can't have our way so we'll just call people names.

Yeah.  That'll show 'em!

Some of us have been saying for some time now that it's time to get over it.  That's not because we LIKE what we see these days, but because we realize that what we liked so much is over to one degree or another.  I'm not a huge fan of today's show BECAUSE I liked the older version.  If I'd only started watching in the past few years, I'm sure I'd like the current show much better...because I'd have no real perspective on how much better it had once been.

I don't hate the show today, but to me, it just isn't anywhere near as good.  But I'll let you in on a little secret:  I've reached the point with Sherwood's announcing, that as soon as I hear him bellow his over-the-top, Don Pardo-ish "Price is RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT," I pick up that little remote you mention and switch to something else. 

You're not the only one who feels that the negativity here is too much, but I hope you can at least understand why someone who has watched the show for decades would have a hard time adjusting.

What seems harder to understand is why it's just STILL taking so long.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline FrenchFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • CCSCO
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 08:47:59 AM »
For another foreign point of view, I like classic Price, but I also like current, not for the same reasons.

Bob is surely a great host. He knows how to bring fun interaction with the contestants. He's maybe the only one to know how to make Double Prices interesting. This is under Bob the core of the show has become famous. This is under Bob that many countries adapted Price.
Bob and his crew knew almost everything. Except one thing: how to feel modern, how to adapt yourself and your show to the time being. I recently watched Bob's last show on Youtube, I had the feeling it was taped back in the early 90's.

Sticking with traditions is not bad in itself (I'm a traditionalist myself), but they have to be careful about not being too outdated, otherwise they'll reach a non-return point. A median age of 63 is the signal (here, channels care only about viewers younger than 50). They have to attract younger viewers, otherwise the show will disappear because of its too-invasive traditions. And that's precisely what the current show tries to do, attract younger viewers with a whole new, way more modern set, more modern or more young-wise prizes... while the core of the show is exactly the same. Exactly.

I like Drew. He's not worse than Bob. He's different. He maybe doesn't know how to make Hi-Lo (crash items) or Double Prices exciting. But he knows how to interact with his announcer, what Bob didn't really do. I like some of his jokes (not the grocery crash). He didn't like the show at first, but now, after 3 years, he regularly throws a random history fact, proving he cares about the show.

The show is rushed? That's not in Fremantle's hands, but CBS's. I'm not sure Bob would be THAT good, bring THAT much interaction, with 38 minutes instead of 42-45. It's more difficult to produce the same show 4 minutes less, whatever your name's Dobkowitz or Richards. Richards may want some "foolishness", but he has to deal with some things we're not mastering.

Current staff has also one more problem: the economy is not the same since 2008. Fremantle had to deal with the economical crisis, and maybe that's what Dobkowitz was unable to. Crisis is not over, that's why they have less sponsors. And really, that's not much of a deal: having 3 sponsored medicines and 2 sponsored cosmetics as a Grocery Game setup is not fun to watch. I like themed Grocery Game (Apple, Pine, brands with names of pricing games...). CNAOS still receive parting gifts from sponsors, and those are not cheaper than before.

Talk about impossible setups: in France, the last two L7 setups have been 10809 and 10019. Just feel lucky with what you have.

About set changes since season 37:
- the Big Doors: they work the same way they did for decades, and their design is more modern. A bit pale, IMO. Looks foreign? You are the only country which has kept this kind of doors. You're the only country which has no giant screen. At least that looks less outdated now than it did.

- the new turntable: finally! The old turntable could be sold as an antique. I like the mechanism, but that's all. Now, it looks brighter, even if it could be more, IMO.

- Showcase podiums: I just regret they're overloaded with plasma things.

- Temptation: a useful paint job, but a plasma overload. Pink set looked terrible. Plasma wasn't needed, IMO.

- Any Number: the digits started to fail, they had to change it. They changed the whole set to accomodate Drew, and that's where I call fail. It was not needed, the whole "used numbers" thing looks awkward and the prize placards are ridiculously tiny. The false vane display is awful.

- Plinko: the new reveal is way better than the old one. They brightened up the main set and it looks better, even if the other things (light spots, winnings display) were too much.

- Rat Race: very good game, the set is a bit too busy, though.

- Pay The Rent: deceptive.

- Ten Chances: looks foreign? It's nowhere close to this: (courtesy of lejusteprixtv.com)

Once again, be lucky with what you have.

Once again, you criticize (you may be true) international versions, but even if I don't like French current version myself (it's nothing but a one-man show of the host), four of the last six international adaptations (Flemish Belgium, Walloon Belgium, Lebanon, Romania) of Price went from the French current version (Pakistan and Mexico aside). This is a fact. It doesn't care of traditions (they make jokes on it), it's LCD screens everywhere (no magic), the games are deceptive (I invite you to see what are the games they "created" lately, it's an horror), set pieces and prizes are cheap (€75 for the average IUFB), it's centered on the host and not on the game, but this is what works. Price might have attracted foreign TVs in the early 80's, but they're not attracting any foreign channel by 2010 anymore.

I don't say it's the way to go (and I clearly expect and want you: DON'T DO IT), but that's what attracts. Bear it in mind.

It’s called keeping up with the audience advertisers want to reach, the core objective for a business that makes its money based on advertising revenue.

No, but an audience that’s all old isn’t sellable (save for Scooter Store and “diabetus” supply ads). 

“Doing great?” By surpassing all of its daytime network brethren in terms of factors like average age? Being the show of choice for the retirement home set isn’t doing great when it comes to what matters.   
Because perhaps had they paid some attention to the demographic issues earlier, they might not have reached the point they did. 

Jeopardy still plays two rounds of questions and a final category, just like Price plays two sets of three games and a showdown, plus the showcase. In that regard, both keep their same format. But Jeopardy has changed sets several times, updated music, added things like video clues (from the Clue Crew), etc. Wheel has made more cosmetic changes and the one core change of dropping shopping for ceramic dogs and the like, but it’s still multiple rounds of spin/solve at heart. And both demonstrate that making updates to look current while keeping the core structure can work (more than a quarter century at the top of their particular field, with demos that—though clearly towards the higher end of the 25-54 spectrum—bring in good advertisers and keep replenishing at the younger end enough to hold firm).

I'll give imhomerjay a point, which is part of my reasoning.

I know how you feel.

Shieldsy, the negativity is based on the fact that we no longer have the ear of the "insiders" at the show, something to which we were accustomed, and we can no longer feel as if we can dictate what the show does or doesn't do just because we discuss it here.

You mention your radio background and how you feel formats SHOULD be changed, apparently just to change them up, the radio listener in me HATES this.  I want to turn to my favorite radio station and know what I'm going to find.  Radio format changes here in the U.S. mean switching from Country to Rap overnight.  Is that the kind of change you like? 

'Price' spoiled us over the years by being a show that specifically DIDN'T change things just for the sake of change, and we liked the idea of always knowing (within reason) what to expect.  A lot of the viewers of 'Price' seem to feel the way I do, and when what appeared to be "major" changes for a show that had changed so little over the years came along, they bucked. 

The problem NOW is that most people seem to refuse to accept that the show now is what it is.  It's as if some people here STILL think that just because they start a thread saying they don't like this or don't like that, whatever they're complaining about will just suddenly go away.  Or, at the very least, we'll actually hear from the producer or an insider about WHY the change was made.

For years, we told ourselves -- as long as it looked like Barker WASN'T going to retire -- that there'd only be ONE Bob Barker.  For years, we told ourselves that the show would never be the same if he were to leave.  Then he left, and we were proven right.  And being proven right in this case made people really, really angry.

In other words, the negativity today is the frustration that seems to come with so many people STILL not accepting the fact that the show they WANT 'Price' to be is over.  It's not coming back.  Barker's not coming back.  Johnny, Janice, Dian, Holly, Rod aren't coming back.  Rich isn't likely coming back, either.  The only thing we can expect now is that there's absolutely NOTHING we can expect.  And all of the "Mikey" foolishness is basically the immaturity of a child's temper tantrum:  we can't have our way so we'll just call people names.

Yeah.  That'll show 'em!

Some of us have been saying for some time now that it's time to get over it.  That's not because we LIKE what we see these days, but because we realize that what we liked so much is over to one degree or another.  I'm not a huge fan of today's show BECAUSE I liked the older version.  If I'd only started watching in the past few years, I'm sure I'd like the current show much better...because I'd have no real perspective on how much better it had once been.

I don't hate the show today, but to me, it just isn't anywhere near as good.  But I'll let you in on a little secret:  I've reached the point with Sherwood's announcing, that as soon as I hear him bellow his over-the-top, Don Pardo-ish "Price is RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT," I pick up that little remote you mention and switch to something else. 

You're not the only one who feels that the negativity here is too much, but I hope you can at least understand why someone who has watched the show for decades would have a hard time adjusting.

What seems harder to understand is why it's just STILL taking so long.

I think with this post, I'm going to understand you better. But you know as well as me, this is how life goes, and there's nothing we can do against that, because G-R members are (and will always be) a minority. I feel the same way about current French Price, but it is WAY more different to former French Price than "older" US Price is to "current" US Price.

I dislike "change for the sake of change" myself. But having a median age of 63 (even for a daytime show) IS a good reason for a change. Seeing the ratings slide is also a good reason. Changing Rich to have "a variety show within a gameshow" is not a good reason.

I can understand how you feel. Why it's that long? Because this show has jumped 20 years of age in one year (and because no guest announcers are close to Rich, also).
Le Juste Prix, my childhood gameshow, and love TPIR.

HYO: $75,515 (SC 1/2 (loss against a DSW), PG 2/2, getting up on stage 2/8 - 2 FFBC)
CSS: 2 wins, 1 DSW, 2 WSD, $202,298, best bid $118.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 08:59:10 AM »
I want winners.  Shows that are 1/6 or 2/6 are boring.  The root of this problem is that they want to offer these more expensive prize(s /packages).  I'd want to see someone win a $3000 prize, a $17K car, and maybe a prize package around $5500 (containing more "generic" prizes) than someone winning a restored 1956 Chevy and the other games being set up against the contestant (for a loss).

The old sports quote: "winning fixes everything".
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 09:32:09 AM »
Hardcore viewers of the type that post to message boards are one thing, but the reality is the audience at large has changed, and when someone tunes in and sees the cheaper prize, even if it has better odds of being won, you have a very real risk of boring them to the point of channel changing. 

What's more, the shows and networks well know that self-described "regular" (referring here to frequency, not opinions, tastes, etc.) today watch about 40% of a given show's episodes.  With eveything else going on, they're not keeping track of wins/losses over time--heck, with the changing nature of how people watch TV today, they're not keeping track of wins/losses over a given hour. 

And therein lies the crux of the situation--shows need to deal with how people watch TV here and now, in 2010.  The economics demand tighter budgets and that more and more time be shaved from program content and allocated to advertising.   People have hundreds of additional choices (thousands, really) competing for their viewing attention.   Audiences have fragmented more and more.  Tastes have evolved from generation to generation, just like they always have.   Advertisers are more focused on reaching the right audience, and if you don’t bring that audience in, sooner or later, the axe will swing your way (see: Guiding Light and As the World Turns). 

None of those big issues--nor many others--are the doing of any current, past or future staff members of Price, nor any other show.  But they have to deal with the reality, not sit back and yearn for sime imagined "good old days."  As a culture, we have  a sort of collective ADD—the shiny, cool prize that the 25-54 audience responds to, even if lost, will serve a show better in the long run than trotting out what their parents or grandparents might have ooohhh-ed and aaahhh-ed over forty years ago.

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 09:46:02 AM »
The real issue, here, I believe, is this...

Everything that's changed since S35, and I mean every little thing, whether it's the set, the music, the foreign cars, the expensive trips, the fewer winners, the designer crap, the contestants, the lineups ... Everything they changed was changed because they HAD to. Because that old classic feel to the show, it worked for 35 years because of Barker. If I think back to pre-S36 Price, I think of one thing. Such a show, without Bob, just looks old. With Bob, it's a classic.

If they would've kept the same set, same music, same American cars, regular trips, the same game setups, the same type of contestants and the same Dob-esque* lineups ... If they would've kept all that without Bob, the show would've sunk faster than the Titanic.

The only thing I can do about it is to enjoy the show because, in a way, I believe that all these changes are the reason that the show is still on the air after Bob retired!

* Don't get me wrong, though; they should've kept Roger...

Offline Dakotakid2007

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 09:54:09 AM »
Truly, some aspects of Price needed updating, but I believe the current TPiR is over the top.  Couldn't they have updated and enlarged the Turntable AND still kept it's classic design?  Do they have to have so many squares all over the place?  "It's Too Much!"  I like the updating of the Clam, Plinko (except for the unnecessary spotlights on the floor), the addition of the numbers on Any Number (although I still think it would be better if the used numbers simply disappeared instead of being crossed out in red - it's much too busy a board now!);  the new look of Temptation is awesome; 10 Chances is hoo-hum.  

Some games are played far too much while other games hardly see the light of day - there needs to be more games in rotation.  The talking between host and models is inaine - "How ya doin', Rachael?"  They're FINE Drew, if they weren't, they wouldn't be there, they'd be home in bed!  There is just too much unneeded "chatter."  They should cut it out and give more time to the games and the contestants.  Drew repeats too much.  After asking where a contestant is from, he repeats the location - all the time.  I thought Drew was supposed to be good at improv?  He never seems to know what to say!  I forget what he said on yesterday's show (Nov 16) but it was in the moment and funny!  I remember saying out loud -  "Good job, Drew!  More of that!"   Why can't they mix up the music a little - it would be awesome to hear the old tunes from the 70's and 80's.  Some of the new music is forgetable.    

Offline SamtheBravesFan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
What I don't understand, is shows like Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy change something at least something every season, and no-one (not even Big Jon's Forum, my main forum) bats and eyelid. Yet, when something super minor happens on Price, it's all HIT THE DECK, THE SHOW's GOING TO BE CANCELLED IN  A WEEK. AAAAAAAGGGGGHHH!!!!!

There is a group of people who don't like what Wheel of Fortune has done with their changes.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 11:16:50 AM »
There will always be a group that doesn't like something or other.  No doubt there's a loyal group that misses shopping, or whatever else it is they have a gripe about.  But starting from the premise that it's not possible to please everyone, you try to do what's going to do the best for your business, and in Wheel's case, those decisions have paid off. 

Does anyone think had these kinds of forums existed in the early 1970s that when Match Game and Price came back with radically different looks and styles from their predecessors that some segment of the population wouldn't have been griping loudly about unnecessary changes?  I mean, really, a CARNIVAL type atmosphere for a more subdued show like Price?  What were they thinking?   :D Didn't they understand what worked before would work again exactly as it was, for all eternity?

Offline Dakotakid2007

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »
But the old Bill Cullen Price and the first Match Game were both cancelled.  Their formats were old and boring and needed updating.  Barker's Price was not cancelled.  It was not old and boring.  Don't confuse the host with the show - not that I think Barker was ever boring!  He just got old, but the show didn't.   

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 12:01:31 PM »
"Old and boring" are subjective, though.  You can find plenty of people who would, quite fairly, hold the opinion it was both.  Likewise, you'll find people who feel no matter who comes through the doors, it's an old and boring format.  And if we use cancellation as the defining characteristic of what's old and/or boring, had CBS cancelled the show rather than replace Bob, would it have meant it was, in fact, old and boring?  One could make a case that the median age of viewers rising above all peers would indicate it was “old.”

Acting as if everything was as perfect in the ratings world when Bob left as it was in the show's glory days isn't realistic.  Price was getting by on an aging population in later years, and thanks to CBS having some bigger fish to fry, so to speak, it chugged along even as the rust was evident to anyone who didn't want to hide in the sand. 

Once Bob left, it was inevitable that the more change-resistant older viewers who had been watching Bob more than Price, would begin to tune out, just as a portion of the Tonight Show base inevitably left when Johnny (and all the hosts before him) left.  Some took a while to break the habit, some may have been willing to give the new kid a shot, but there should be no surprise that, coupled with a continued fragmentation of the audience in general, that you’d see more dips.  Rebuilding into something viable in the reality of the second decade of the new millennium is no small challenge, and by no means guaranteed to succeed.  But what’s guaranteed to fail is to plod along as if it’s a quarter century ago.   

Offline Dakotakid2007

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 12:59:18 PM »
Yes, cancellation would be a good indication that the audience was dwindling.  TPiR was not cancelled - it's audience was aging.  So what?  Don't we "over 50" people deserve programs we want to watch? 

The overall population is aging and people over 50 are spending a great deal more money today than people who were obver 50 thirty-five years ago.  Our money is vital to the economy too. 

How about a classic TPiR (with a classic game show host like Barker and announcer like Fields) AND an updated, contemporary flashy TPiR (with "comedian" Drew and his cronies) - both on CBS?  The classic can have the current time slot and Drew's version can have the 2pm slot.

We had two TPiR's on in the 90's with Doug Davidson's Price and Barker's Price.  Put both versions on today and let's see which one wins the ratings war! 

My money would be on the classic Price to win!