Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 12/24/2010  (Read 25348 times)

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 12/24/2010 (DSW #2)
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2010, 05:46:51 PM »
It's always a nice surprise to see somebody win That's Too Much!.  Of course, the surprise would have been even nicer if Manuela hadn't given it away before she revealed the price.

It seemed like there was an odd edit there during the reveal. I'm not sure Manuela's "reveal" was completely intentional.

Although I like Pay the Rent, I would have preferred Golden Road today. I actually ignored Rent's playing, more or less. (Although, I still feel if anyone here ever gets the chance to pay the game in real life, the way to win it is to play it backwards... Safe to Mailbox.)

Got say I was somewhat surprised at the DSW. I felt the showcase was somewhere around $42,000. Nice way to end the show tho. Drew almost seemed to be stretching for time there at the sign off.

I think we all knew the Christmas tree was going to be a one bid, but it was surprising it wasn't played for until Part 2 of the show. It has to be a record for the longest display of a One Bid in Price history.. lol
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline TPIRZippy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2010, 05:51:04 PM »
Wow, talk about a show with a slow start turning into something great!  Winless first half, perfect second half, and a DSW!  Not bad at all!  Nice way to go out to Christmas.

What a heartbreaker on Dice Game.  She played it well.  She went against the odds thinking that she had an idea of the last number and it didn't work out.

Strange having the Christmas tree be the 4th IUFB, not the first.  

I can't believe he didn't stop with the $5000 in Pay The Rent.  No way he was getting $10,000 with his choices.  

I was bracing for a wild misadventure in Secret X with all the motioning about putting an X in the middle. Somehow she still manages to win......  Drew needs to explain Secret X better.  Watch some Barker playings and learn, Drew.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2010, 05:52:35 PM »
I didn't see it as a spoiler since the show has already aired in both zones.
I will be mindful of that in the future, and denote DSWs in titles later.

Kitch, keep leaving it as it is.  I like the way you've got it setup and for pete's sake people, anytime you click on a recap you are by default asking to be spoiled.

Worse though is the fact that no one has mentioned we saw the third biggest daytime winner in PIR history and no one noticed THAT!

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2010, 06:10:35 PM »
A couple have mentioned that it's the third-biggest daytime win ever.
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »
3rd highest winner in daytime history!!!

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2010, 06:12:50 PM »
I knew she bid well. I didn't know she bid that well.

I was hoping she was just over, which would've meant a DSW for me in the CSS. xD
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2010, 06:13:28 PM »
Who's to say that's the thread people were coming in to look at?  You can have something to do in this subforum without having seen the day's episode yet.
Then either highlight Spoilers in the title of this Sub-Forum or get rid of the word all together. You can't say "spoilers", but not until you click on the episode. They should be allowed to pop up wherever. What if someone didn't know an episode was for Holloween, but Kitch referenced it in the title? Are we to remove that? I'm done on the subject. I believe it is frivolous since the word spoilers clearly forewarns of this.

It's always a nice surprise to see somebody win That's Too Much!.  Of course, the surprise would have been even nicer if Manuela hadn't given it away before she revealed the price.
So now Manuela's on your list. Seems she'll pick-up where Lanisha left off.

Worse though is the fact that no one has mentioned we saw the third biggest daytime winner in PIR history and no one noticed THAT!
I know. I'd rather like to know who provided Drew with that fact. Kathy before the reveal? Or is Drew somewhat studying PIR history?
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2010, 06:26:52 PM »
Kitch, keep leaving it as it is.  I like the way you've got it setup and for pete's sake people, anytime you click on a recap you are by default asking to be spoiled.

The DSW in the recap title doesn't just show up in the recap thread. It also shows in most recent posts.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2010, 06:38:14 PM »
As uneventful as it was to see Pay the Rent first (and see another loss), it did allow for Double Prices to be played second... and be played at Door 3 for the first time in 11 years.  Very exciting.

I got a kick out of the fact that I made a post in OILF this morning about the Russian guy calling himself "Peggy" in the Discover commercials... and there was actually a contestant named Peggy on today's show.  Needless to say, "Peggy" became a running joke in chat for the rest of the show, especially after Dice Game.  She tried to out-Mike Mike on that last number and blew what was the easiest setup in a very long time.

Sure enough, we got our dreaded tree One-Bid this week... and it was weird to see it fourth instead of first.  Sadly, no animatronic Santa and Mrs. Claus this year.

I can't believe that somebody actually won That's Too Much today.  I thought that $23,235 was too much.

Why was Judy trying to put her Xs on the red squares?  She looked totally out of it the entire show, but redeemed herself with an amazing Christmas Eve DSW-quality bid.

My showcase bids:
:frbs: --$32,507
Acura--$47,507
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2010, 06:42:46 PM »

Oh, come on, Willy.  I've been known to come in here before watching the day's show to look at something in a previous recap thread.  I certainly don't want to have to avoid doing that in the future because I'll be able to tell what happens in the Showcase based on whether the recap is stickied or not.

Then either highlight Spoilers in the title of this Sub-Forum or get rid of the word all together. You can't say "spoilers", but not until you click on the episode. They should be allowed to pop up wherever. What if someone didn't know an episode was for Holloween, but Kitch referenced it in the title? Are we to remove that? I'm done on the subject. I believe it is frivolous since the word spoilers clearly forewarns of this.

You know what?  That's a downright stupid comparison.  Noting that there's a set of special decorations on the stage is a far cry from giving away the outcome of the Showcase, and I'm kind of bothered that someone would advocate telling people to avoid an entire group of threads just because a single one will reveal whether or not there was a DSW.

It is a spoiler.  Spoilers should not be in thread titles, and the act of stickying a thread certainly shouldn't be one.

So now Manuela's on your list. Seems she'll pick-up where Lanisha left off.

If she keeps it up?  Yes.  None of them should be doing that.

The DSW in the recap title doesn't just show up in the recap thread. It also shows in most recent posts.

Well, there ya go.  Nothing that could cause people to have to avoid a region of the front page should be considered acceptable.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2010, 07:34:56 PM »
You know what?  That's a downright stupid comparison.  Noting that there's a set of special decorations on the stage is a far cry from giving away the outcome of the Showcase, and I'm kind of bothered that someone would advocate telling people to avoid an entire group of threads just because a single one will reveal whether or not there was a DSW.

It is a spoiler.  Spoilers should not be in thread titles, and the act of stickying a thread certainly shouldn't be one.
You know what? You are right. However, I wasn't advocating anything, simply stating the word Spoiler is what it means. It just is and it is in the title of the Sub-forum. Yet since the thread title is listed in an area seen by all, spoilers shouldn't be named (see below).

Also, I couldn't find another comparison. I'm an apples to grapefruit guy *sarcasm*

I like you. You very smart and wise.

Well, there ya go.  Nothing that could cause people to have to avoid a region of the front page should be considered acceptable.
I concede. And NOW, I'm done speaking on the subject. You can tell I'm serious because of the bold capitalization.

By the Way, it looks like we are on serious track to match and probably beat last season's 3 DSWs. Way to go Season 39!
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline katrinka_ohio

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2010, 08:33:15 PM »
I yelled so loudly at the DSW today that I scared the dog!  Judy was a terrific contestant.  Great to see a win at That's Too Much. 
Go fellow Buckeye Drew!

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2010, 09:44:50 PM »
Well, today was most certainly a tale of 2 shows. It got off to a grinding halt at the start with that Pay The Rent, which in my opinion wasn't really that much more or less winnable than any of the other times we've seen that game, and then Double Prices and Dice Game were both disappointing losses considering they were easy setups. (Seriously, why did she think that last number in Dice Game was a 2 or a 1? Maybe it's because they've been really evil in setting up Dice Game enough times that when they're finally nice, no one is able to give them the benefit of the doubt?)

But then after that, oh boy. Flip Flop started us off, and then TTM and Secret X were both particularly impressive wins! TTM is always nice to see won, and that was the first time when Secret X was won with the X at the bottom in several seasons - Mike really got fooled there! And then that contestant went from barely knowing where to put the X to DSWing an Acura! I bet Mike nearly fainted at that result. Here's a hint: When both showcases are that expensive, you probably shouldn't have the ARP of either showcase end in anything between 000-250; if the showcase ARP had been 49251, for example, she wouldn't have DSWed because she would have been off by $251. and most people tend to bid ending in -000. This is a practice that I'm pretty sure Mike has used frequently in setting previous showcases up, but I wonder why he got cocky today).

Still, honestly this was by far the best of the three Mike Christmas weeks. I was beginning to get skeptical after Wednesday's and Thursday's shows, but then today's second half went and made me feel better all on its own. Let's just hope this doesn't affect the budget too much now in the coming year.

Timings:
Pay The Rent (7) - 5:52
Double Prices (3) - 2:56
Dice Game (4.5)- 4:45
Flip Flop (3.5) - 3:17
That's Too Much! (5) - 3:20
Secret X (4.5)- 4:57
Total (27.5): 25:07

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2010, 10:12:19 PM »
Nice wins on Flip Flop, That's too much, and secret X. And nice to have a DSW for the holidays. Double Prices and Dice game shoulda been won then we'd have a 5 for 6.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2010, 11:09:52 PM »
Dice Game:  Tough loss, although that was a dumb move not going with the odds on the last number.
Flip Flop:  Nice job! :-)
That's Too Much:  Wow, it was actually won! :-o
Secret X:  Nice win to make it a perfect 2nd half! :-)
Showcases:  What an awesome DSW!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Great end to the week, IMHO.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!