Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 12/24/2010  (Read 25383 times)

Offline spoon14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Straight outta Medellin!
Re: TPiR Recap - 12/24/2010 (DSW #2)
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2010, 11:19:06 PM »
I love how Drew said Pay the Rent is "winnable". Sure, it's winnable but not when you put the cheapest item on the bottom. The moment David did I knew he was done.
It seemed like Drew was trying to push for a win a little bit. I doubt they'll have him explicitly say that the two prize levels may involve pairing a cheaper prize with an expensive one. However, Drew seemed to put great emphasis on his words when he talked about the prices for the level as a whole being higher than the previous level. I think he was hoping the contestant would catch on. Picking the ribbon made clear the contestant wouldn't win. I can't believe he actually thought his level three would beat level two after the price reveal. Thought that was a pretty obvious bail-out point.

Finally, someone doesn't squander the Flip Flop gimme.

It's too bad to see a dedicated fan lose out on Dice Game. I can understand why she went against the odds on the last digits. She may have theorized that TPTB would use a price with a mix of digits rather than one that lacked a 1 or 2 among the four digits she had to guess.

So now Manuela's on your list. Seems she'll pick-up where Lanisha left off.
Steve may decide to give Manuela a lump of coal, but she's still on my nice list. I like how she seems to have the regular gig of modeling the muscle cars. And I think she did a particularly good job on the first Showcase. If I won two tickets to Cancun, I'd be generous and let Manuela keep one.

I liked Drew's "Judy, Judy, Judy" reference. Judy was a curious player. She seemed to have trouble understanding Secret X. But when it came to actual pricing, she was fantastic. She got on stage on her very first IUFB. She was perfect with her Secret X guesses. Then, she gets the DSW.

gumdrop

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2010, 11:46:20 PM »
I guess it's no contest as to who the heelsrule "contestant of the day" award recipient would be?  :lol: And i'm sure many in the audience (at the studio judging by the groans into the last ad break & at home) thought Judy had at least slightly overbid (including myself).

Also, Judy hit the stage in what turned out to be the last bid of the day, i'm guessing the list of those who've done that successfully is rather low (she clearly didn't blow it as Drew tells final "contestants row" entrants).  ;-)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 11:56:12 PM by gumdrop »

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2010, 02:02:32 AM »
Well it was weird to see a winless first half followed by a second-half sweep. But I'm not complaining. Now, there's a lot to say about this show.

First of all, I'm pretty fed up with cbs.com spoiling things in the titles and thumbnails of their video clips. When I saw "3rd in Price is Right History" with Drew standing by the showcase podiums, I knew something was up. It occupied my mind the entire show. I thought maybe we had had the third perfect bid in history or something. Still, it's really annoying that I can't even click on the episode without seeing or reading some sort of spoiler.

Pay the Rent probably had its toughest setup ever. I never would have guessed the cider mix was $7.00, and the cards were surprisingly cheap if you ask me.

Double Prices was very tough, but still 50/50. Dice Game was just poor luck. Flip Flop was very easy, which doesn't say anything for pricing game records these days. But at least we got a win this time.

The win in That's Too Much was a nice surprise, especially since I thought the right price was the next one. But the reveal was extremely sloppy, be it because of some sort of edit or lack of communication, followed by confusion on the part of the contestant and the audience. It felt like Season 36 for a minute. "Oh. Okay. Huh? I WON?!" The reveal on this game is one of DiPirro's few weak points.

Secret "X"... boy, Judy sure had no idea what she was doing. She wasn't thinking for herself at all placing the exes; she held them over squares in the middle row, and even the middle column. Ay guey.

Even though the suspense was totally blown by cbs.com (Is there someone I can write to about that? Something needs to be said. AFTER Christmas.), the DSW was still super special awesome, especially because it resulted in a six-figure total. It's also the first time in daytime history a six-figure number was displayed on a showcase podium. It's indisputable that the Righteous Moment of the Day belongs to the best bid of the season so far, resulting in the highest cash and prizes total in daytime since Drew took over.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 02:10:30 AM by TPIRighteous »

Offline clemsonfight

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2010, 02:20:09 AM »
TPIRighteous, if you go straight to http://www.cbs.com/daytime/the_price_is_right/video/, it'll take you to the most recent episode without having to read any spoilers. Just don't scroll below the video.

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2010, 08:13:42 AM »
YESH another :dsw: And 3rd all time in winnings in daytime, next to VickyAnn with $147,517 and Denise with $140,235 (from Bob's last show) YESH!!!!!!!!!!!

This winner was crowned on the same day that Tom Nissley left J! as the third highest regular games winner of all time. Just like cbs.com gave a heads up about the DSW, jeopardy.com/showguide/thisweek had a 20-second promo that heard Alex say about Tom's being the third highest regular games winner.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 08:15:16 AM by trytobecharming »

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2010, 08:18:05 AM »
Boo! Down with Secret "X"! That's just a general comment, but today Drew explained it exceptionally poorly (with something like "Your job is to guess where the secret "X" is"), and Judy was practically clueless on how to play.

Yay! The spiffy red Challenger returns, and was won in an exciting fashion. 

And when was the last time Secret X was won with the Secret X on the bottom? Seems like the game is usually lost when the X is on the bottom.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2010, 10:26:24 AM »
Dice Game:  Tough loss, although that was a dumb move not going with the odds on the last number.!!

Wrong.

(Going with the odds has been proven a lost cause in the Usual Dice Game setups with 1's and 6's a plenty)
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2010, 11:05:49 PM »
TPIRighteous, if you go straight to http://www.cbs.com/daytime/the_price_is_right/video/, it'll take you to the most recent episode without having to read any spoilers. Just don't scroll below the video.

Say, thanks! No more holding my hand in front of my face!  :lol:

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2010, 06:22:36 AM »
To the historians: has there ever been a DSW on the last show before Christmas before? Or even one on Christmas Day, if it's ever aired on Christmas Day?
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2010, 08:25:26 AM »
To the historians: has there ever been a DSW on the last show before Christmas before?

Yes.  Off the top of my head, in Season 33.

Or even one on Christmas Day, if it's ever aired on Christmas Day?

Dunno about a DSW, but the show has definitely aired on Christmas; in fact, Seasons 36 and 37 both had Christmas Day shows, although the schedule shuffling in 37 led to it airing on a different day that year.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2010, 08:34:11 AM »
Yes.  Off the top of my head, in Season 33.

Dunno about a DSW, but the show has definitely aired on Christmas; in fact, Seasons 36 and 37 both had Christmas Day shows, although the schedule shuffling in 37 led to it airing on a different day that year.

Season 25 had a new show on Xmas day, no? Said episode was rerun on Xmas 1997 and Xmas 1998. Plinko was played on it, and by the end of 1998, the $5k had been changed to $10K.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Pay The Rent- I have to admit, no matter whether it's a grocery game or an SP game being played, throwing in themed prizes in games kind of seems unfair because prices can vary greatly from store to store. Plus these aren't items you buy every day. It's kind of funny though that during the halloween playing the contestant know right away when she saw the large gap between the totals of the first and second floor that she should quit. Sadly this guy didn't get the memo.

Double Prices- That was weird seeing the game at Door #3 but it looks like they were trying hard not to stop tape for a long period of time since PTR was played prior.

Dice Game- That was just some bad luck. I was quite surprised she had only one wrong.

Flip Flop- Good win. I think the game was slightly damaged at some point. If you look underneath the "P" in "Flip" you can see a rather large crack when the light is flashing.

That's too much- Again good win.

Secret X- Judy seemed clueless and also didn't seem to be paying attention. She nearly put the second X in the same column as the first x and then nearly proceeded to stick it in the second column. She didn't the same routine with the third.

Showcases- Good prizes, but it did seem like the prizes were just strewn together and they really didn't put any thought into a good Christmas Showcase. As a result though I kept saying that I think something good was going to happen and sure enough it did. Judy somehow nailed herself $100,000+ in and prizes. I'm quite surprised though that priceisright.com has not posted a video celebrating her big victory, but yet we have the victory of the lady winning $25K on the big wheel two episodes earlier. I guess to the pir.com staff winning $100K isn't as exciting as winning $25K.

To the historians: has there ever been a DSW on the last show before Christmas before? Or even one on Christmas Day, if it's ever aired on Christmas Day?

Yes Season 33 or 34, I believe on Christmas Eve. Plus 3 Strikes was played and won on this same ep as a side note.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2010, 01:34:48 PM »

I'm pretty sure this show was supposed to air earlier but because of the DSW they decided to air it friday.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2010, 01:41:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure this show was supposed to air earlier but because of the DSW they decided to air it friday.

I'm not sure that's true. I'm pretty sure Drew made mention it was the Christmas Eve show somewhere in there.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2010, 03:26:24 PM »
I'm not sure that's true. I'm pretty sure Drew made mention it was the Christmas Eve show somewhere in there.

Sure did - at the very top of the show.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.