Author Topic: The Price is Right on Philippines!  (Read 51456 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: The Price is Right on Philippines!
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2011, 10:26:54 PM »
Well I just love the idea of spreading out the wins a little bit more.

Dandy.  What part of "That doesn't have anything to do with my question" do you not get?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline everyonelovesshellgame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2011, 11:33:59 PM »
I think the English you all are hearing is called "Taglish", it's a mix of Tagalog and English:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taglish

This must operate on a shoestring budget. Golden Road for a motorbike??

Offline vanziedorcede

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2011, 04:11:25 AM »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
Kind of ridiculous to make a reference to the Cullen version and then say the show's never been done live before.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline CeleTheRef

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2011, 04:26:56 PM »
I believe that the Portoguese edition is also live

as for Italy, the 1992 Saturday primetime edition was live and the 2500th show aired in 1997 was live as well.

Offline offerta

« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
I believe that the Portoguese edition is also live

as for Italy, the 1992 Saturday primetime edition was live and the 2500th show aired in 1997 was live as well.

SABATO OK!

Offline jandallo

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2011, 03:31:22 AM »
Hi guys,

New to the board (love the American version; have been watching ever since I can remember, so...), and thought I'd just join the conversation here.

The reason why the prizes are so cheap is because the price of a car is just way too ridiculously high to play with. The average price of a car in the Philippines (and trust me on this one, I'm Filipino, though I actually was born in Canada) can vary from P600,000 to just a little over P1,000,000, and keeping in mind that there's about P45 to the US dollar, the average price of a car is more or less the same as in America. But because of it's relatively enormous price, they only offer cars in the Showcase; that's why they offered a motorbike as the big prize at the end of the Golden Road. Although I must say some of their IUFBs can be on the extremely cheap side! I remember once IUFB being around P500, and if you do the math, it's only around $11 for that prize.

And shellgame is right. The lingua franca of Manila (the capital of the country, where the show is taped) is called Taglish, and it's a melange of English and Filipino (though we like to think of it as Tagalog). It's not that we're not sticking to one language, that's just how we speak; since the Philippines is a country of more than 100 different languages, it's very common to hear people code switch between two or three languages, not to mention that English, as stipulated in the constitution, is an official language of the country (the Philippines prides itself for being the third largest English speaking country in the world, though I think that's disputable). Plus, there are a lot of Tagalog words that are either too archaic to use or just too long to say, so we use English words and incorporate them into our language. If you speak Spanish and English, you just might be able to pick up a huge amount of what we say on the show. :)

And yes, the wheel does spin too damn long! You barely spin it, and it takes an eternity for it to stop! I remember the Philippine Wheel of Fortune had a wheel that also took forever to stop; coincidentally, it was on the same network as TPiR, and Kris Aquino also hosted it.

That's just me and my two cents. :)

Offline jandallo

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2011, 12:01:34 PM »
ABS-CBN has announced that TPiR Philippines will now be shown once a week on Saturdays, starting April 2. The cited reason? Apparently, it's due to low ratings. The show isn't garnering more viewers than its rival network GMA-7. Apparently, Kris is upset that management suddenly decided to do that, but a person close to her said she wasn't angry.

Here's the link to the story. It's in Tagalog, though:
http://www.pep.ph/news/28817/(UPDATED)-Kris-Aquino's--The-Price-is-Right--to-change-airing-schedule

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2011, 02:29:33 PM »
That's too bad but unsurprising as well
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline jandallo

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2011, 12:13:54 AM »
Well, there are quite a lot of things wrong with the show. They spend too much time on short games, like 1 Right Price and Double Prices. Kris gives the contestants way too much leeway for change, especially when they're playing Hole in One (Or Two) or It's In The Bag. And they also need to add way more new games to the lineup (I'm starting to get really fed up with seeing Eazy as 1-2-3 on nearly EVERY show!).

The biggest annoyance are the announcers. While they are of Filipino descent, they can't speak a word of Tagalog (seeing as they were born in the States), and when they do speak the language, it really sounds crass and would be equated to listening to people talk in an ESL class (no offense to anyone, but that's my honest opinion of how they sound). I remember one time, Kris had to correct them on the proper pronunciation of a city in the south. Clearly announcing isn't something they should be doing, especially in the Philippines. I think they were only picked because they were the recent winners of The Amazing Race Asia, and nothing much else.

I think it would be nice to see a car being played for in one of the pricing games, but because cars are extremely expensive in the local currency (around P600,000-P1,000,000 for an average car), I highly don't see that coming. They could play 3 Strikes for it, though... :)

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2011, 08:39:23 PM »
Playing Five Price Tags for bags of rice isn't exactly going to help things.

Offline jandallo

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2011, 08:07:23 PM »
It's not quite that. What the contestant was playing for was a "negosyo package" (literally a "negotiating package," taken directly from the Spanish), that would give him multiple bags of rice to help kickstart his own business. It's very common to see "negosyo packages" given away on game shows, especially ones in the daytime.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2011, 11:53:25 PM »
"negosyo package" (literally a "negotiating package," taken directly from the Spanish)
Adjusting prizes for people is a bad idea regardless...the prize could look as dumb as bags of rice!!

Offline jandallo

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2011, 01:21:39 AM »
Adjusting prizes for people is a bad idea regardless...the prize could look as dumb as bags of rice!!

What do you mean here? I'm a little confused... :confused:

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2011, 01:40:38 AM »
What do you mean here? I'm a little confused... :confused:
You said the bags of rice were meant to "help kickstart his own business". That makes it sound like they handpicked the prize specifically for him...