Author Topic: Hiding Individual Avatars  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
Hiding Individual Avatars
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:19:20 PM »
Is there a way to hide individual users' avatars?   I currently have the global selection active... but I genuinely enjoy some of the witty and funny avatars that some of our members create.    There are just a few though that consistently use photos that I really don't care to have my daughter see if she crawls up beside me, and I certainly wouldn't want to be caught looking at by my wife (or anyone else for that matter).

Not trying to be a killjoy... I know some of you enjoy the same photos I find a bit bothersome.   To each their own... I'd just like to enjoy the art without having to look at... the others.   
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline spoon14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Straight outta Medellin!
Re: Hiding Individual Avatars
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:46:32 PM »
I have a suspicion I might have one of the avatars you find irksome. The only solution I'm aware of is to put me (or whomever avatar bugs you) on Ignore. Then, the avatar won't be visible. If you've got someone on Ignore and you want to read just one of their posts without all their other posts becoming visible, you can simply click the "Show" button the right side of the ignored post instead of the Unignore button on the left side. Only that post (and that one occurence of the avatar) will become visible.

As a courtesy, I've taken down my avatar temporarily so you can read this post without my avatar being visible while you decide whether to Ignore me. I'll probably put my avatar back up tomorrow after you've had a chance to decide on whether to use the Ignore feature or come up with another solution.

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 10:57:50 PM »
Well... honestly, yes... but I don't feel that ignore is the solution.  I could have done that already, but I don't want to ignore your content, or the content of others who participate in intelligent discussion, just because of an avatar.   What you have to say is far more important than what pictures you like to look at.  We all have different ideas and comfort levels... and I can (and have) just turned off all avatars to keep my comfort level where I'd like it.    However... if it's just a matter of changing something relatively simple in the forum software to make an individual option available, I'd certainly use such an option.   

As I said... I'm not trying to be a killjoy, nor am I trying to impose my feelings and desires on others who aren't breaking any rules... just trying to maintain a comfort level while still fully enjoying the content of this site.   If I can't have both... then I already have the more important part.   

Thank you for your courtesy, however. 
Wise words.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:10:51 PM »
@SS36Fan:  my recommendation would be to use IE7Pro.  I have similar issues with certain avatars around here, and my solution is to do the following:

Once you have IE7Pro installed, enable its Ad Blocker function.  Then (assuming you're on a Windows machine):

1)  Navigate to the avatar you find offensive.
2)  Right click the image and click "Properties."
3)  Copy the URL of the photo.
4)  Open IE7Pro's settings.
5)  Navigate to Ad Blocker.
6)  Paste the URL you copied into the bar at the bottom, and select "URL Block Filter."
7)  Click OK.

Voila!  That image (and nothing else!) will now be hidden from your view.
Bazinga!

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
Interesting idea, Brt, and it turns out you can do it in Firefox as well.. with the AdBlock Pro plugin (which I already have and use).   It never occurred to me to use it that way, but it works quite well, and doesn't require a browser shift. 

It's actually even a bit easier than the IE method... you just right-click on the image and select "Block image with Ad-Block Pro, then select the URL in a radiobox, and hit OK.   

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:18:12 PM by Season36Fan »
Wise words.