Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/1/2011 (April Fools' Price 2011)  (Read 70067 times)

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
Re: TPiR Recap - 4/1/2011 (April Fools' Price 2011)
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »
You know, mrbrown, thanks for those tweets, because I was wondering about that. That makes me feel a little better.

Still though, today was - what can I say - a LOT packed in one show. My personal favorite things included the extended ticket plug (although that maybe took a bit TOO much time but was hilarious - something tells me Drew came up with that one himself), Scott having to take over during OB4, and doing SC1 in the dark and having the lights come on at the end (that was really cool!) Duds for me included Balance Game and OB5. It's obvious to anyone watching that Balance Game was a staged edit - there was no way that Manuela could lift George, and that crosses the line a bit for me. There's a bit of a difference between that and something like Rachel driving the car into the door in L7, which is actually plausible because she's done it before - that was much funnier as a result even though it was faked as well. OB5 just dragged out an only marginally funny joke too long (although I do think they were purposely making fun of gr.net there, with Drew just wanting to "make sure the contestant could understand the copy"). In fact, I felt large parts of this show were directed at the general gr.net population, and I'm not sure how to feel about that, haha.

But dang, this show sure felt like what everyone's worst nightmares were of it turning into in Season 37. An almost inexcusably short lineup (and I'm setting my foot down here. You're obviously going to have to edit a bit anyway, so play something that's not a one prize game. Please.) and staged gags and destruction throughout. I hope they realized that a lot of this only worked because it was April Fools' Day, and we don't want to see George popping up everywhere (or ANYWHERE, really) doing staged bits during a normal show.  (Like, George in the steam shower. Remember when that was Rich in the dunk tank? Everybody hated it then). Still, it was entertaining, with quite a few laugh-out loud moments, and I'll give them that. It just didn't really feel like TPIR today at all, which is a bit of a problem. It may even just be because of today's all-quickie game lineup, but I feel that previous Halloween and April Fools shows have done a much better job of making it feel like Price while still being crazy and funny.

Oh, and one thing they should take note of: one of the funniest moments on today's show was one they didn't even stage, when the contestant jumped into the steam shower during Freeze Frame. I hope they realize that they can try as hard as they want, but due to the very nature of the show contestants will most of the time be able to spontaneously create better humor than they could ever script.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:38:19 PM by Kev347 »

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 05:52:01 PM »
Only 29 minutes of show today?
I still can't believe you have this confusion. My YT description clearly states I cut a little bit out of the episode.

Also, I kinda doubt any of the jokes were directed at us...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:56:56 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline everyonelovesshellgame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 05:59:55 PM »
While a few April Fool's jokes would have been okay, to destroy the beloved set and make such over the top jokes is pointless.  All of the changes take away from what, I believe, the show is about:  the prizes, the games, winning, and fun contestants.  All of the other stuff that has come up are a bunch of distractions, compounded by terrible winning records.

Oh come on...."destroy the beloved set"? It's not like they blew it up beyond recognition....far from it.  :roll:

I thought the winning was a nice change of pace!

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 06:23:40 PM »
Fellow g-r.netters, I have something to say: the promo they released did not do this show justice, and I was wrong to judge this show by the promo alone. I don't know who's putting the clips together for priceisright.com, but they really need to watch the way they do it. The promo would put you under the impression that all they were going to do was tear apart the set, and that's completely inaccurate. All the people who convinced me to watch the show should be thanked, as well.

With that being said, I'm glad I decided to watch this show. It was definitely better than last year's show, but I don't think it came anywhere close to 2009.

Squeeze Play was great! Props to the "sound effects lady" on that one. :-D

Hey, Drew! That ticket plug was one of the most genuinely funny things I've seen in a while. I'm sure that was a shot at me for taking a shot at you a while back, so thanks!

They missed a huge opportunity to run with the "10,000th thing" meme by not playing a game that offered a $10,000 prize. I was halfway expecting Grand Game, Gas Money, or 1/2 Off to show up. Imagine all the crazy things they could've done with the boxes in 1/2 Off: boxes going up and down, boxes falling off the podium, boxes refusing to move at all...oh, well. That's all past us now. Too bad they didn't think of that.

One final thing here. I'm not trying to play backseat moderator, but I have something to say to Mr. Brown that I don't think is too over the top: just because Person A and Person B have an opinion of something does not mean Person C has to hold the same opinion as A and B. For example, that would be like me saying my friend and I think Double Prices is the best game ever invented, and because we hold that opinion, you have to think the same thing or you're wrong. I think your posts are well-thought-out and I usually agree with you, but this is one time I find it hard to agree. I hope you're alright with that.

Tyler
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline ballooney

• Outside in Line
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 06:31:08 PM »
...right.

First off, nothing was really over the top. You must be confusing this year's show for last year's "Mimi Takes Over," which by all accounts was "over the top."

So, having game props falling apart, having the Mustang driving into the Lucky Seven door, and lights falling apart weren't over the top.  Granted, I didn't see a lot of last year's special, but what the "jokes" that happened today were just plain stupid and unnecessary.  Besides, think of how the money that was spent would be better used to allow more wins.

The show is ultimately about entertaining the general viewing population, not the 1% of viewers like us that come on a dedicated message board.

The general public has their right to their own opinions, but I was speaking for myself and all the other dedicated game show followers.  Those of us who grew up with classic game shows, in my time period watching reruns on USA & Family.  In my mind, I believe (not know for sure) that a game show is about playing a game and winning, not about needless banter.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 06:41:09 PM »
So, having game props falling apart, having the Mustang driving into the Lucky Seven door, and lights falling apart weren't over the top.  Granted, I didn't see a lot of last year's special, but what the "jokes" that happened today were just plain stupid and unnecessary.  Besides, think of how the money that was spent would be better used to allow more wins.

Nope, didn't take away from the show, and was funny.

And it seems they got quite a few wins out of this show.

The general public has their right to their own opinions, but I was speaking for myself and all the other dedicated game show followers.  Those of us who grew up with classic game shows, in my time period watching reruns on USA & Family.  In my mind, I believe (not know for sure) that a game show is about playing a game and winning, not about needless banter.

The Price Is Right still features, as its key concept, playing games and winning.

/Didn't take long for one ignore.
//Not me.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline ballooney

• Outside in Line
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 06:48:06 PM »
Nope, didn't take away from the show, and was funny.

And it seems they got quite a few wins out of this show.

The Price Is Right still features, as its key concept, playing games and winning.

I mean in the long term.  Yes, there were 4 out of 6 winners today, but by wasting money on excessive showcases that aren't meant to be won, and by bringing in guests stars for no reason.  If you haven't seen the overall winning percentages during the last few years compared to other years, you'll understand what I mean, at least I hope.

Playing games: YES
Winning: Not as much as before.

Okay, the key game is the same, but the people in charge have added pointless filler and turned the show into something new.

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »
What amazes me is fact some people have issue with the fake destruction going on because it "takes away from the show" (BTW, "takes away from the show" needs to be retired), but would rather see someone mess with the clock in Clock Game and the boxes mess up, fall off, and stick in Half-Off...things that actually effect gameplay and the opportunity of winning.

:roll:
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 07:04:08 PM »
Would that 10,000th thing have been at the wheel had someone landed on the Dollar ~in the 2nd spin?

Offline richfieldsfan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2011, 07:05:16 PM »
The second half of that was extra time, wasn't it? Maybe not...

Regardless... it's CNAOS, it really shouldn't be touched.

What is CNAOS? Sounds like really bad AOL Lingo!

I had concerns about some of the gags, namely the broken tv and the set falling apart at the end. I'm sure there was a stopdown to clean up the glass, but we didn't see it. Just wanted to be sure nobody got cut.

The crashing at the end was just a bit over the top. What if the dingbats from the audience decided to the usual "run on the home base" deal? Could have been more serious than the beating George took!

And I think George really did get nailed by one of those tennis balls. Could have done without that really. The car crashing was funny, but I bet the door 3 panels were probably extras anyhow.

After all that in Lucky Seven, why did Mikey have to have another "94" ending car today? Geeze!

Not a bad show, but I hope they don't try to pull this improv crap year around, or I'm out for season 40. Plain and simple.

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2011, 07:20:19 PM »
What is CNAOS?

Contestants Not Appearing On Stage

Offline spoon14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Straight outta Medellin!
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2011, 07:27:30 PM »
Today's show was great! I didn't mind all the quickies because there was a lot of entertainment value beyond the game play itself. It was very well done. There was a unifying theme, but they did so many variations that really worked. The various gags all seemed to go well. I'm wondering if they did other takes to get it right though.

Looks like George is balding back there. It was noticeable after he got drenched.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2011, 07:38:26 PM »
Funny show today! :oldlol:  Nice to see 4 games won too.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2011, 07:39:03 PM »
Oh come on...."destroy the beloved set"? It's not like they blew it up beyond recognition....far from it.  :roll:

In fact, they didn't "destroy the beloved set" at all.  They destroyed a couple of mockups of set pieces that were specifically designed to be broken.  Even the crashing light wasn't really a light.  Anyone upset about such a thing probably also gets upset when domino mazes are knocked over.

They missed a huge opportunity to run with the "10,000th thing" meme by not playing a game that offered a $10,000 prize.

Yeah, letting the punchline fizzle out was a pretty lame way to end and otherwise good show.  As far as the game selection, considering that we can "play along" with the games for the other 194 episodes each year, I kind of enjoyed trying to "play along" by trying to guess what gag they were going to have in each segment.

Offline clemsonfight

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2011, 08:11:32 PM »
I enjoyed this one. Might be my favorite of the April Fool's Shows. I really cracked up during the "extended" ticket plug. :P

I did feel let down with the 10,000 thing though. Obviously it wasn't going to be a "real" milestone and I guess it being nothing makes sense, but it could have been executed better. For example, after announcing the SC winner and doing his usual thing there, Drew coulda said "Now, you've all been waiting, time to tell you about the big 10,000 event! It's--" then cut to the test screen again like earlier in the show, then after about 5 seconds come back with the audience going nuts (over nothing obviously) and Drew saying "Yeah, that was amazing! Wouldn't have wanted to miss that in a million years, good thing you watched! Don't forget to get your pets spayed and neutered, see you next time, Happy April Fools!"

But of course, that's just what I would have done. ;)