Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/1/2011 (April Fools' Price 2011)  (Read 70574 times)

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 4/1/2011 (April Fools' Price 2011)
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2011, 06:57:56 PM »
Great show.   I didn't have a problem with the 10000th didn't happen.  I kind of figured from the start that is what they were going to do.   Although, I was hoping for something stupid like the clang clang whoop whoop going off for something like "We did it, our 10,000th burnt out light bulb"

Richard ripping Drew's coat way ahead of when it was supposed to happen was great.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2011, 08:21:34 PM »
1. The online version screws up the website plug gag.  They don't show the second half of Drew's spiel.

What was missed?  I only saw the CBS.com version.

Joe

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2011, 08:36:57 PM »

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2011, 10:49:14 PM »
Sod's Law is in full effect on this episode:  Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

One thing that did not go wrong was Squeeze Play.  Mike was actually being nice in 5-digit Squeeze Play.  There was only one 4 in the correct price of the car.

So that's what the inside of the Double Prices prop looks like.  That's actually more interesting than the game itself!

Drew's drawn-out explanation of how to get tickets to TPIR allowed for two cool things to happen on camera:  the stagehands moving the Big Wheel and the red carpet off the stage, and the complete playing of the Dig We Must cue.  And Richard was jumping and cheering behind Drew the whole time.

Yay!  Scott on camera, and we're not even playing Grocery Game!

Very interesting to hear a random audience member read a prize description.  Crystal didn't do too bad.

It took her 7 years to do it again... Rachel crashed during Lucky $even.  This one was much more serious, as we now have two doors and a tarp.

My showcase bids:
In the dark--$31,107
On fire--$27,507
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2011, 12:17:11 AM »
I can see the old 3 Strikes bag still being backstage, it's a complete prop.  But the old Double Prices logo is just one panel of a prop, it just doesn't seem to make sense to have it laying around backstage (well, unless spare parts are needed, I guess).  I had assumed that the current logo was painted over the old one almost a decade ago.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2011, 12:18:43 AM »
I can see the old 3 Strikes bag still being backstage, it's a complete prop.  But the old Double Prices logo is just one panel of a prop, it just doesn't seem to make sense to have it laying around backstage (well, unless spare parts are needed, I guess).  I had assumed that the current logo was painted over the old one almost a decade ago.

So had I, and I'm still not certain it wasn't.  I'm just never surprised anymore by what they hold onto.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2011, 12:19:31 AM »
Very interesting to hear a random audience member read a prize description.  Crystal didn't do too bad.

She read it a little too well. She sounded almost professional. I expected her to be announced as some tennis pro or something,
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2011, 01:04:12 AM »
Quote from: SteveGavazzi
So had I, and I'm still not certain it wasn't.  I'm just never surprised anymore by what they hold onto.

How would anyone on the current staff have thought to make a new prop with the old logo, though?  Seems like it would've been far easier for them to make a new prop with the current logo.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2011, 01:14:02 AM »
Probably because I didn't see the entire show, I honestly thought the 10,000 was a gag for the 10,000th episode, which was clearly an April Fool's Joke.

When I saw the promos I thought it would be joke about it being the 10,000th season premiere on CBS.

I actually avoided this site before watching because I was wanted to see everything for myself first instead of having it be spoiled. And I have to admit once again that this was the best show of the season thus far! It's funny though that some of you may disagree. I mean this nicely, but it seems like some of you act like it's against the law to poke a little fun here and there on a game show that is supposed to be fun. I'm with some of you that the lineup really did suffer, BUT we got 4 winners which is something that is actually becoming rare on the show.

OB1- I thought it was funny when the models knocked over the television. And coincidently this actually did happen on an episode of Ellen, and no it was not apart of any joke. They were actually bringing out a TV on a cart to display during her 12 days of giveways and the stagehand accidently pushed the cart too fast and the television fell face first!

Squeeze play- It was totally the 4 that had to go.
Freeze Frame- For this playing you could actually knock out a few prices because we haven't seen a individual bonus prize that was anything less than $2,000 in years!
Double Prices- What was all that?
OB4- This I guess would answer a question I have, what would they do if the CR displays weren't working properly during a taping?
Balance Game- WOAH HOLD ON THERE! 2 games set up for a win in the same show? That's unheard of in the Mike Richards era!  
OB5- Kudos to George for taking the ass-whooping of a lifetime! First they try to kill him in the steam shower and now Rachel is pounding him to the ground with Tennis Balls
Lucky 7- Just classic! although for this one I would've done something just slightly different. I would've had the stagehands either push the car back a few feet or have them remove the "door panels" so we could see the numbers more easily. I'm sure S & P were watching this playing closely. And I love that all through out the 2nd SCSD and showcases they had a tarp covering door 3 .

I'm not sure which showcase stint I liked more. The lights going out for the first showcase was pretty clever. But I would have to say it was the second showcase that was the best. It was just hilarious watching the stagehands run around to put out the fire and the models looking at each other like "we better get out of here!"

I do have to admit one minor thing though, something about today's contestants just didn't seem natural. The audience seemed like they drank a pack Red Bull before the show. Even when Crystal was announcing it seemed as if she had read it before because she didn't seem nervous and enunciated the description. But despite some of the few miner things that either weren't natural or what I would've done different, it was an overall awesome show.

You know it's so funny to think about too because I've always thought of PiR as a redneck game show, if you will. What I mean by redneck game show is if you really look at other game shows yeah they all have natural real-life contestants playing, but you don't usually get to see the hard-working staff that is running around sometimes trying to make a show happen for all of us to enjoy. I really thought that once Bob was gone that so was this tradition. Thankfully Drew and the staff have kept this intact because for me it really does add something to the show when I see the off-camera crew! Job well done you guys!
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline Dietevil

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2011, 02:40:48 AM »
Just got back from holiday to see this past week of shows. April Fools show was entertaining, but the highlight for me was a new? cue used for the truck in SC2. Had a bit of a 70s feel to it and felt a bit more like Price is Right.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2011, 08:02:44 AM »
When I saw the promos I thought it would be joke about it being the 10,000th season premiere on CBS.

See... now that would have been funny.  And maybe what they actually did would have been a little funny if Drew hadn't oversold it.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2011, 11:51:35 AM »
It's called an Unreveal (at least according to the wonderful guys at TVTropes), guys, and I personally loved it.  I thought they were going to randomly give the Showcase winner a $10,000 bonus, but I actually liked it better this way.

I'd swear I've seen that Bidders' Row display gag before...

On the other hand...what was the joke today?  All I saw was a show where they gave the editing staff the day off.  

(Unless the fact that we had four winners was the joke...I mean, we all know that never happens intentionally anymore...)
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2011, 12:07:33 PM »
Also, to anyone who thinks there's a possibility Robert was a plant...remember what he bid to get up on stage?  Do you really think they coached the other contestants that they all had to go over so he could do that steam shower bit?
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »
Also, to anyone who thinks there's a possibility Robert was a plant...remember what he bid to get up on stage?

I am 100% confident there was no Robert plant (haha) because of the way he continually danced around and bugged Drew during the entire website plug.  That gag played out funny as it was, but I have a feeling the producers were expecting the contestant to just stand there awkwardly as everything was being torn down around him, making it even funnier.  If Robert's activities were preplanned, Drew would have interacted with him more instead of trying to ignore him.

That reminds me of something else I noticed upon viewing the episode again: The lights around the Big Wheel were still flashing when George walked past, but were not once the camera shot went back to Drew.  It's possible that they unplugged the lights by coincidence at the exact moment of the camera cut, but I think it was more likely an edit point.  So if they edited out part of that spiel, how long did it really go on?

So that's what the inside of the Double Prices prop looks like.  That's actually more interesting than the game itself!

I don't think anything inside there was real.  I believe I saw a circuit board hanging out... why would that prop really need circuitry?

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2011, 02:14:23 PM »
What I liked most about this show was that we had a 4 for 6 on the pricing games and yet only gave away $80,000, compared with a couple of 1/6 and 2/6 shows where it's been $100k+ given away.    More 4 for 6's would be nice.