Author Topic: Drew Carey's Improv-A-Ganza  (Read 5962 times)

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
Drew Carey's Improv-A-Ganza
« on: April 12, 2011, 03:23:23 PM »
Did anyone watch the first episode last night? Thoughts?

Personally, while it was hilarious, a half hour was just too short for me. That and the fact that the show really has no structure whatsoever make the episode feel like it ends rather abruptly. Other than that, I really do not have any complaints!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:25:56 PM by Todd »
Signatures are overrated.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
Re: Drew Carey's Improv-A-Ganza
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 03:40:24 PM »
The fact that it's like a free-for-all Whose Line makes me extremely happy. This is as close to Whose Line returning as we're going to get. The first show wasn't amazing... but I'm okay with that because of the reasons I just mentioned.

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »
Didn't see it yet but it is on my DVR.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 04:31:58 PM »
I-P-G may be the show that blows Whose Line out of the water... *waits to get punched*
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline Kirsten Vaccaro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me On February 27, 2016
    • It's My Facebook Page.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 09:17:24 PM »
I love Drew Carey's Improv-A-Ganza it's so funny.  :biggrin:
A Big Rich Fields Drew Carey And Jeff Davis Fan For Ever From Kirsten

Rich Fields Thanks Kirsten. I pick out and supply all of my own clothing. That light gray suit is hard to pair with shirts and ties... but I think the lavender shirt and purple patterned tie pulled it all together.

My Favorite Announcers On The Price Is Right Are Johnny Olson Rod Roddy Rich Fields Jeff Davis.

I Met And Took Two Pictures With Jeff Davis On May 24, 2012 He Is So Nice And Kind In Person.

Rich Fields said this about Drew Carey will always be the first to defend Drew (Carey). He's one of the most genuine, down to earth people in Hollywood that I've ever met. He was the first to come to me and tell me that the show was going in a different direction. He assured me it was not his decision to let me go and I believe him. No one else was open and honest about it, but Drew was. We've continued working together on different projects and we stay in regular touch. We'll be good friends well into the future.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 09:44:07 PM »
I couldn't enjoy it. It felt like something trying to pretend to be Whose Line, more than a true successor.

What was up with the editing? Segments seemed to abruptly smash into commercials and already be back in action before the commercial ended, and some of the camera shots were a little out-of-place for such a show.

Having a few of the classic games back was a definite plus. I was disappointed, though, that only four games were played in the entire show; as a result, the entire package didn't feel as fulfilling as an episode of Whose Line.

Finally, for having his name in the title, did it strike anyone else that Drew really did very little? I mean, he mostly stayed at his desk on Whose Line, but the disjointed rotating-hosts concept here didn't bring him more screen time, which struck me as very strange.

This show has potential. You can definitely see glimmers of the old Whose Line spirit in it, but the whole thing just doesn't work.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 09:46:31 PM »
He was a bit more involved in tonight's show... which hardly featured Charlie Sheen, thank goodness. I figured they'd have him on virtually the entire show.

Offline kishy214

• Allen's Rock Band Videos on Youtube
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 10:03:20 PM »
I love how free the games are now... it's just basically "We'll give you some stage time, the audience will give you something to do, and just do whatever you want to make it funny in that time." and that's quite honestly how simple it should be. The games have been re-imagined for the MGM setting and they just work. Bob's Call is the perfect successor to Show Stopping Number, and Options takes Film & Theatre styles to a new level with the presenter being able to make some just plain funny decisions on what to make the performers do.

Drew also showed tonight that he hasn't forgotten his singing lessons from Geppetto. Well played Mr. Carey.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 10:21:22 PM »
Well said drum set in circle man.  I didn't see the entire show but I'll catch the repeat at 11.  I think once they get some kind of feedback on this show they'll fine tune it more and make it perfect.

The actual retail price is...

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 10:40:45 PM »
If you go to the site over at gsn it look's like under videos there is a full episodes tab.  That will be good if you miss one
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »
Improv-a-Ganza is not being offered for streaming on neither GSN.com nor Fancast. (Fancast seems to have mostly GSN's older content up...and the only full episodes on GSN's site are Baggage and High Stakes Poker.)

I don't have GSN, so I can't watch full episodes at this time...but I did see some of the clips online and I definitely echo some of the other sentiments in this thread. Some bits of it were quite funny and reminded me a bit of Whose Line, but the actual production/editing needs a lot of work...there were way too many cuts to the audience, especially during gameplay (the only time we should really see them is when those on stage are asking for suggestions, otherwise, the cameras should be focused on stage where the action is). 

So, based on what I've seen, I definitely feel that they do have something...it just needs some work in order to be perfect.  I just hope that they can build a good variety of games, both new and brought over from Whose Line...the latter grew stale on me after a few years, and if there isn't a larger variety in the games this time around, it'll get old to me fast.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 08:44:27 PM »
GSN has the first show up on there site
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.

Offline AussieEvil

• Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 12:04:52 AM »
Needs to be longer and with less audience jump cuts.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 01:18:07 AM »
Needs to be longer.
Agreed (even though I haven't seen a full show yet).  Whose Line was always a 30 minute show; but when it aired on ABC, they would play 2 episodes back to back.  So I think Improvaganza could work as a full hour program.  Aside from that, it appears to be a pretty good show.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 02:44:51 AM »
Tonight's episode was a little better, but the editing on this is terrible.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.