Author Topic: Drew Carey's Improv-A-Ganza  (Read 5958 times)

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Drew Carey's Improv-A-Ganza
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 01:07:47 PM »
Tonight's episode was a little better, but the editing on this is terrible.

Yeah, the editing is awful, especially (but definitely not limited to) when they come back from commercial break.

It's a good show, nonetheless.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 01:44:26 PM »
I actually thought that it felt too long, but not really because of the length...but, rather, because they seem to be playing fewer games.  It would probably feel a lot better if they squeezed more shorter games in per segment than playing fewer longer games...it started to grow stale quickly.

To me, it feels way too much like a stage show, with TV cameras set up to record it, and not an actual television show...that is largely due to the terrible editing. (I really wonder how these professional editors ever get hired half the time...it seems half every television show is edited/directed terribly these days...)  That might be the direction they're going for, but it really doesn't come off well on television...if they did without most of the cuts to the audience (especially during the actual games), it would be a lot better...that, and having proper intros/outros to commercials as opposed to awkwardly fading to black in between games and continuing right afterwards would help, too.

Overall, it has potential...but it needs some work in order to be truly great. It was, however, nice to hear Rich Fields introducing the stars and the day's special guests...I wonder if they'll ever find a way to get him involved in a game from time to time...that might be cool to see.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 01:47:13 PM by cu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline katrinka_ohio

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 02:34:17 PM »

Finally, for having his name in the title, did it strike anyone else that Drew really did very little? I mean, he mostly stayed at his desk on Whose Line, but the disjointed rotating-hosts concept here didn't bring him more screen time, which struck me as very strange.

I believe I read that it wasn't Drew's idea to have his name in the title, but because he has high name recognition, someone (The Powers That Be?) wanted it that way.

I agree the editing is a little rough; but I enjoy the show tremendously.  Having seen the stage shows six times, the TV show follows that format with longer running games.
Go fellow Buckeye Drew!

Offline katrinka_ohio

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »
They're giving away 40 trips to Las Vegas!

Video
Go fellow Buckeye Drew!

Offline Robert

• Outside in Line
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 11:15:56 PM »
Today's episode with "New Choice" (AKA Switch) was great.  This is a good show so far. :lol:

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 12:44:00 AM »
I think you mean "Quick Change".

Offline Robert

• Outside in Line
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 08:38:57 PM »
Close enough.  Anyway, it is getting better.  ;)

Offline katrinka_ohio

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 09:02:06 PM »
It looks like the show will have some reruns over the weekend: 2 pm and 5 pm on Saturday, 5 pm and 8 pm on Sunday (EDT).  I thought Heather Campbell did a good job tonight.  She is far and away better than Kathy Greenwood on Whose Line; there was a whole show where Kathy never said a word!
Go fellow Buckeye Drew!

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 01:04:52 AM »
Agreed on Heather... kind of cute, too. :-)

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 08:36:21 PM »
There was a noticeable increase in quality over the first week, so I'm fairly optimistic so far.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 09:17:20 PM »
So I finally got to see the second and third episodes online, and they are getting better as the show goes along! I was laughing so hard at Colin and Drew in the "Genre" (I don't think the name of the game was ever given) game. :lol:
Signatures are overrated.

Offline Mr. X

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 02:02:12 PM »
This show sounds promising. I still have to wait to see how it does though

Offline katrinka_ohio

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 09:05:27 PM »
Does anyone know what kind of microphones they are using?  (Not the hand-held ones; the little, itty-bitty ones right by their ears.)
Go fellow Buckeye Drew!

Offline katrinka_ohio

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2011, 07:13:43 PM »
TV Squad has a nice interview with Ryan Stiles today.

Go fellow Buckeye Drew!

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 08:07:09 PM »
Does anyone know what kind of microphones they are using?  (Not the hand-held ones; the little, itty-bitty ones right by their ears.)

I'm almost positive they're made by Countryman. I have plenty of experience with using them (and watching people snap them in half while adjusting them) in high school. They're very sensitive mics, so if you're running them without a compressor/limiter, be prepared to glue yourself to the sliders on the board.

The handhelds, in case anyone was wondering, look to be Shure U2 transmitters with Beta 87 heads.

Tyler
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.