Author Topic: Spinning wheel on TV's  (Read 3638 times)

Offline odiedude

• In Contestant's Row
Spinning wheel on TV's
« on: November 20, 2006, 12:05:07 PM »
I'm sure this has been discussed before, so I hope someone remembers the answer. When TV's are given away on the show, there is usually TPiR being shown on them with contestants spinning the big wheel. Are these just random clips and shows that they choose from? Have they always done this with TV's, and if not, when did they start? I think it would be cool to be on the show twice - once with your "real" appearance and then a second time on one these TV screens!

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
Re: Spinning wheel on TV's
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 12:09:21 PM »
They'll either show that, or someone winning the Showcase. More often than not, those clips are from the previous day's show. As to when they started, though, you'll have to get the answer from the TPIR history buffs here.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 08:30:22 PM »
There's a silly thing I've always wondered about that's related to this...they usually show a clip from a recent (if not the previous) episode, but one day, seven or eight weeks into Season 31, they randomly played a clip of a Showcase Showdown that plainly had the old set in it.  I've never understood how or why that happened.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 08:40:58 PM »

SteveGavazzi wrote:
There's a silly thing I've always wondered about that's related to this...they usually show a clip from a recent (if not the previous) episode, but one day, seven or eight weeks into Season 31, they randomly played a clip of a Showcase Showdown that plainly had the old set in it.  I've never understood how or why that happened.

My guess is that most of the time, they still have tape of the most-recent show handy, and that in that one instance, someone might have cleaned out the tape shelf and they had to find whatever they could.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 01:57:11 AM »
They occasionally do something other than Showcase, Showcase Showdown, and Come On Downs... I do remember once they had a playing of Joker a few years back.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 03:52:29 AM »
At times in the past, you could see Rod on the TV announcing the prize copy for it as he was shown on the prize itself.

Very cool!
John

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 06:14:56 AM »
John just reminded me of the neat little trick they'd occasionally do when showing Rod on the set...Rod would hold up the blue tag with the TV's brand name on it and then move it just off-camera, and the Beauty modelling the TV would at that exact moment reach "into" the TV and grab and hold up the tag as if Rod had just handed it to her.

Offline pitlover

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 08:23:01 AM »
In the 70's and part of the 80's, before TVs had inputs, the picture was superimposed on the set with the words, "simulated picture" on the screen. With modern sets having monitor inputs on the back, they can show the actual set in operation.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 09:35:38 AM »
Yep, I remember when they would have tvs, Rod would always be on here reading the copy and then it they had cookies or something he would hand it up and the model would grab it.  It was very cool.  They started showing the showcase clips I believe in season 31 when rod was taken off camera.