Author Topic: Which 'Modern' Car Games Would Be Backward Compatible w/4-digit Prices?  (Read 3523 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
I've been thinking, which car games, that have debuted since Cover Up would be backwards compatible with four-digit prices?  Obviously, fee games would be compatible (Pass the Buck, Rat Race, Let 'em Roll, Gas Money [which would be strange, considering the $10,000 payout, unless you halve or further reduce the maximum payout]).  Some games which just print the price on a card or something similar would be compatible (More or Less, That's Too Much).

Stack the Deck would be incompatible as it is, because of the amount of fakes and grocery products used for revealed numbers.  Cover Up is incompatible, because of the way the prop is built, and you'd have to have three choices for the first number in a 4-digit car.  Line em Up may work, but you'd have to deal with how strange giving away the last number free is.

Pocket ¢hange can work, just eliminate the free number and remove or cover up one of the numbers from the prop (probably the uppermost one).

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:00:56 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Online tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
They'd use the first four columns on the Cover Up prop, keeping the 2/3/4/5 choices.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
I've been thinking, which car games, that have debuted since Cover Up would be backwards compatible with four-digit prices?  Obviously, fee games would be compatible (Pass the Buck, Rat Race, Let 'em Roll, Gas Money [which would be strange, considering the $10,000 payout, unless you halve or further reduce the maximum payout]).  Some games which just print the price on a card or something similar would be compatible (More or Less, That's Too Much).

Stack the Deck would be incompatible as it is, because of the amount of fakes and grocery products used for revealed numbers.  Cover Up is incompatible, because of the way the prop is built, and you'd have to have three choices for the first number in a 4-digit car.  Line em Up may work, but you'd have to deal with how strange giving away the last number free is.

Pocket ¢hange can work, just eliminate the free number and remove or cover up one of the numbers from the prop (probably the uppermost one).

What do you guys think?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Gas Money isn't a fee game, as it doesn't use GPs or SPs.

As for Line em Up, you could give the first number for free.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Right, Gas Money doesn't use SP or GP, but because the prices are just printed on cards, it is compatible with 4-digit prices.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
Right, Gas Money doesn't use SP or GP, but because the prices are just printed on cards, it is compatible with 4-digit prices.

I know. I was talking about the listing of it as a fee game, when it isn't.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Cover Up could totally be played with a 4-digit car -- just take out the rightmost column.

I suppose Split Decision could be played with just seven digits, but I'm not sure I like the idea of it.

I once heard that Line em Up, or at least something similar to it, was origianlly proposed in the early '80s, so I suppose there might be a way to make that one work.

Let 'em Roll would work, obviously, as would Triple Play, That's Too Much! (although probably with smaller jumps between the fakes), Pass the Buck, On the Spot, Gas Money (although it would be awkward to have the cash be worth more than the car), and Rat Race.

Pocket ¢hange practically exists as a 5-digit version of a 4-digit game already -- the first number in the price is totally irrelevant to gameplay.

Stack the Deck is probably the only one that there's really no good way to convert to four digits.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
Stack The Deck could be used for 4-digit prizes, although it wouldn't be worth it - just place a "$" card in the first slot.    It does mean that if they get all three GP's right, they would only have one choice to make but I don't think that would be such a bad thing for a 4-digit prize.   That would make it basically a harder version of pick a number.

Offline JonSea31

• Walking the Golden Road
I think Let 'Em Roll would work for a 4-digit prize.  Just replace the car with an inexpensive prize, like a living room group or a catamaran or a trip, and replace the car images with the word PRIZE.  If necessary, reduce the cash incentive from $1,500/$1,000/$500 to $250/$100/$50.

Also, going off-topic, I believe Add Em Up would work today with 5-digit prizes.  Just give the first digit for free (as many would know it would either be a 1 or a 2) and would not be included on the giant plus sign.

Walk Of Fame could be used as a 5-digit prize game.  Just increase the ranges to $10/$100/$500/$1000.  In a TPIR game that I am developing, Walk of Fame will be used, and the display has already been adjusted to accommodate 5-digit prizes.

Rat Race would work for 4-digit prizes.  It's that easy.  But it would mean having to reduce the first prize to below $100, the second prize to below $1,000, and the big prize to cost anywhere between $1,000 and $9,999.

Offline Rusty

• Walking the Golden Road
I think Let 'Em Roll would work for a 4-digit prize.  Just replace the car with an inexpensive prize, like a living room group or a catamaran or a trip, and replace the car images with the word PRIZE.

Read the OP: four-digit prices (of cars), not prizes.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
Also, going off-topic, I believe Add Em Up would work today with 5-digit prizes.  Just give the first digit for free (as many would know it would either be a 1 or a 2) and would not be included on the giant plus sign.

There's no reason Add 'em Up couldn't be played for 5-digit cars exactly the same way it was played for 4-digit cars.  In fact, it might even work better -- the third guess was kind of anti-climactic with four digits, but with five, you could probably combine the third and fourth guesses without really having it look awkward.

Offline nowhammies11

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The blood of angry men, the dark of ages past
    • The Whammy's Blog
Re: Which 'Modern' Car Games Would Be Backward Compatible w/4-digit Prices?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »
Re: Add 'em Up

Why not play it with the first number in the car being shown for free, but it is NOT part of the overall equation; i.e. the contestant gets their choice of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th numbers for free, and that does start the equation.  Kind of like how the BASIC Games version handled it.
YOU CAN NEVER STOP :clipboard:

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 08:28:43 PM »
...didn't I just give a rebuttal to that one post earlier?  :confused:

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 09:31:55 PM »
And of course we know Push Over would have done so back in the day given how well it works the other way around today. 

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 06:54:05 PM »
They'd use the first four columns on the Cover Up prop, keeping the 2/3/4/5 choices.

Certainly that would make it 6 times easier to win the car on the first try, but even with fewer chances of getting additional turns, isn't it still considerably easier that way?

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 07:54:24 PM »
There's no reason Add 'em Up couldn't be played for 5-digit cars exactly the same way it was played for 4-digit cars.  In fact, it might even work better -- the third guess was kind of anti-climactic with four digits, but with five, you could probably combine the third and fourth guesses without really having it look awkward.

Good idea + dumb contestants = Never going to work sadly.  I know people who can't do basic math well, and its really sad.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]