Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/5/2011  (Read 29114 times)

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/5/2011
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »
Bonus Game! Yay! No classic reveal. Boo! And we had another person tripped up by the fondue set.

Nice to see a double showcase winner, but I think Drew would have gotten a more immediate (and in my opinion, better) reaction from the contestant if he would have said "You win BOTH showcases!" as Bob used to do, instead of the more generic "Double Showcase Winner!".   Or at least say, "YOU'RE a double showcase winner!"  You gotta make it personal :-), especially if you're speaking to the winner.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 08:03:16 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 08:06:16 PM »
-Safe Crackers is a great game, especially when it is won. The contestant didn't even open the safe however....the door was halfway open before the OPEN lights came on! :lol:
-Drew FAIL on Money Game....I mean are they really that easy to confuse? That's all that needs to be said about Money Game....that's how boring it is. Why don't they do something exciting, like play it for a boat.
-The fondue trap strikes again in Bonus Game and that conceals the Bonus. Of course.
-Squeeze Play really should have been won. Oh well.
-That's Too Much makes its return as That's Too Eighth. Sigh.
-Grand Game was just EVIL. Really, the show went out of its way to dig up $8 Foldgers? That kind of upset me.

:dsw: Nice to see someone not fooled by the boat. I was fooled by the hot tub in SC1 and the Go Kart in SC2....sigh.

What a terrible show picked from the seas of obscurity by a DSW...
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 08:20:04 PM »
Recap is up.
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 09:01:25 PM »
Great DSW today! But I feel bad for Nicole, coming so close in the showcase.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 09:16:08 PM »
Did anyone else see the ARP card for SC2? If you look at it in HD you can clearly see "SC II TRIP/CAR" on it...however....I didn't see a trip in showcase 2? Does anyone else think that Mike saw a DSW bid on 1 and wanted to save any money he could by taking a trip out of showcase 2?

Couldn't it be that this sleeve is used whenever a trip or car is in Showcase #2?

I think what you are proposing would be very difficult to pull off.  

To rehearse something earlier in the day and then convey to everybody on the staff to completely erase one part of the showcase in a couple of seconds would be impossible.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 09:20:39 PM »
Couldn't it be that this sleeve is used whenever a trip or car is in Showcase #2?

No, it's used when there is both a trip AND a car, I distinctly pay attention to these sorts of things :P

I think what you are proposing would be very difficult to pull off.  

To rehearse something earlier in the day and then convey to everybody on the staff to completely erase one part of the showcase in a couple of seconds would be impossible.

Yes, there would probably have to be a stopdown if it did happen. My theory was they would have used the plasma in the back for the trip in the first place, so it would hard to notice it before the showcase started. (Aka there wouldn't be a blank plasma on stage for no purpose once the SC was over after the swap)

Mike has been known to do things like this. Most recently, he was banking on that Spelling Bee for the retro car to be lost, and when it was won, made a quick showcase prize change. There was supposed to be a super expensive pool table, after the car was won, he made the prop/stage/prize guys take the sexed-up pool table out, and put a cheaper, more reasonable one in.

"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Shaymin

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • May we have some decorum here, please?
    • Nintendo Free Radio
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 09:24:17 PM »
Minor thing Kitch, but you've got the red in the wrong box for Nicole's showcase (it's in the total).

And if Nicole bid $1k less, I think Drew would've spontaneously combusted due to 2 people in DSW range. Guess we'll have to call it a missed moment of awesome and leave it at that.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 09:53:48 PM »
Did Drew actually refer to Money Game as "Any Number"?  Wow...

The Bonus Game reveal was going so well in recent weeks, and then they [French flag] it up again.

The wheel is getting hot again!  The second dollar spin-off of the week, as well as the second $10,000 winner of the week.

Even though the target price was fairly high, Grand Game was evil.  Only $5.09 for a Duraflame log?

My showcase bids:
:frbs: --$24,107
Car--$30,507

And if Nicole bid $1k less, I think Drew would've spontaneously combusted due to 2 people in DSW range. Guess we'll have to call it a missed moment of awesome and leave it at that.

Yeah, I had the same thing in mind.  That would've been the first time that both contestants were in DSW range in a very, very, very long time.  I can't remember when the two showcase contestants were off by $30 and $29.  Late '70s?  Early '80s?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 10:00:02 PM by BRB_TheFireball »
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 11:43:09 PM »
Sorry to say this, but Drew's hosting (or more accurately, non-hosting) of Money Game sucks. He stands there, basically says nothing, has no interaction with the contestant, and pulls the numbers off the board as if he's bored to death. Today, he even got it confused with Any Number. Perhaps if he'd actually put some effort into the game and mention the money the contestant has won (yes, Drew, I know it's a puny amount of money, but it's the freakin' premise of the game--get over it, and mention the money), he could remember that it's Money Game. If I was hosting Money Game, and I pulled off any random number the contestant chose and did nothing at all to enhance the game, I'd probably subconsciously think "Any Number" too.

Also falling into the realm of the pathetic today was Drew's attempt to fill time before the showcase reveals. "Wow, what a good show today. Oh man, we had a double dollar...spinner on the show today, um, and uh, all kinds of good stuff." It almost sounded as if he was trying to convince himself that it was a good show. Sadly, and as Steve has already mentioned, one of the points I found most amusing about today's show was watching Drew flounder through that. I still cannot fathom how someone who is supposedly great at improv can't put together a string of coherent and interesting words. It doesn't matter if it's when the wheel is spinning, filling extra time, or whatever, Drew is just bad at it on The Price is Right.

Overall, this was one of the worst hosting jobs I've seen Drew perform.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 11:58:08 PM »
I still cannot fathom how someone who is supposedly great at improv can't put together a string of coherent and interesting words. It doesn't matter if it's when the wheel is spinning, filling extra time, or whatever, Drew is just bad at it on The Price is Right.

I believe, however, Drew only gets the recognition of being good at improv because he was always closely affiliated with people who ACTUALLY WERE good at improv. Most times I ever watched "Whose Line is it Anyway?", I mostly just saw Drew sitting at his desk, orchestrating the scenes, and then giggling to himself afterward, not actively participating in the improv.

Drew clearly takes a very cavalier attitude toward hosting the show. It's been established by KenCrane before that Drew refuses to rehearse. I suppose his mindset is "why should I? CBS has me locked into a very lucrative contract, as long as I stand here on the stage and go through the motions, I'll make a lot of money. And as long as I'm happy, everything else is secondary."

At least, that's the mentality I get from him. And Drew clearly just cares about the money. Why else would he have made all those stupid little asides when he first started as host about "I know nothing about the prices because I'm rich," or rag on the prizes on the show that he considered cheap. Hell, even when he was getting booed off the stage at the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony, the first words out of his mouth were "You can boo all you want, but, I'm rich and skinny..."

Maybe part of the reason why the show is so inundated with guest walk ons and the announcer's role has been increased is so Drew has to say less.

My patience with him is clearly starting to wear thin...

And speaking of the announcer, man, was George Gray annoying today. Just stand at the damn podium and read your copy. During that double overbid during one of the one-bids where he was goofing around with his handkerchief and all that, like, come on, that's not funny...it makes you look like an ass. Can you imagine if on Wheel of Fortune, Vanna walks away from the puzzleboard after all three contestants spun a bankrupt?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 12:08:50 AM by Kyle_C_Haight »

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 12:20:55 AM »
The 7,458th episode (156th for Season 39)

Showcase #1
Hammock - $1,010
Beachcomber - $3,995
Sea Doo - $17,599

My bid:  $22,424 (Difference of $180!  WOO HOO!)

Showcase #2
Wii - $280
Go Kart - $1,457
Dodge Challenger - $25,495

My bid:  $29,294 (D'oh!)

Your Modeling Scorecard for May 5, 2011
Rachel Reynolds
Total:  9/$59,985 (5/$24,322, 4/$35,663)
Cars:  1/$19,995 (0/$0, 1/$19,995)
Trips:  0/$0 (0/$0, 0/$0)

Amber Lancaster
Total:  11/$58,730 (10/$38,833, 1/$19,897)
Cars:  2/$45,392 (1/$25,495, 1/$19,897)
Trips:  1/$4,700 (1/$4,700, 0/$0)

And for the season
Rachel Reynolds (154 shows)
Total:  1,508/$7,913,116 (903/$3,352,542, 605/$4,560,574)
Cars:  159/$3,628,231 (49/$1,143,777, 110/$2,484,454)
Trips:  149/$1,139,912 (72/$553,620, 77/$586,292)

Amber Lancaster (56 shows)
Total:  479/$3,183,001 (281/$1,141,210, 198/$2,041,791)
Cars:  63/$1,495,515 (18/$432,314, 45/$1,063,201)
Trips:  48/$367,524 (20/$138,783, 28/$228,741)

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 03:06:33 AM »
The success in the Showdowns and the DSW were the sole reasons that this show was even somewhat good.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: David
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 03:38:37 AM »
Sorry to say this, but Drew's hosting (or more accurately, non-hosting) of Money Game sucks. He stands there, basically says nothing, has no interaction with the contestant, and pulls the numbers off the board as if he's bored to death.

I never realized how much effort Bob had to put into hosting Money Game to make it interesting until I saw Drew host it.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 06:52:28 AM »
Bonus Game! Yay! No classic reveal. Boo!

My hunch is that the classic reveal will be permanently laid to rest once R. Brian DiPirro's replacement takes over.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 04:39:40 PM »
Safe Crackers:  Nice job! :-)
Bonus Game:  That was evil IMO; I never would've thought the fondue set was more than $119.
SCSD#1:  Nice! :-)
Grand Game:  How is instant coffee $8.19!? ??? 8-O
Showcase:  Another :dsw: - love it! :biggrin:

Pretty good overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!