Author Topic: MAJOR MAJOR CHANGES TO 7800 FOR S40  (Read 46525 times)

Offline monc

• In the Audience
Re: MAJOR MAJOR CHAMGES TO 7800 FOR S40
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 12:19:01 PM »
I'll bite
One of things I'll do when I watch the show from time to time is look for the girls in the crowd, sotty I'm a guy and I'll do that.  Would moving all the pretty people to the front of the audience going to increase the ratings? No, but it wouldn't hurt if your flipping through the channels and coming back from a break and theres a close up of a co-ed.  It's not a PC thing to do, but its television, who want eyeballs on your show by hook or by crook.  I work in television not on the scale of CBS or TPiR, and the sad fact is hey people sometimes just wanna watch pretty people.

The other changes, are summer fodder, if it happens it happens.

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 12:32:16 PM »
Not a TV, but A WALL.
I'm picturing a dramatic cue right out of the 1930s being played after this line, trying to make the audience gasp in fright over the word "wall.'
So what do YOU all think?
I don't think it's a big deal to not be guaranteed to get a 'front row seat" just because you arrive three days earlier, considering the entertainment being doled out is free. And I don't necessarily think we're going to see fashion models and pin-up girls inundating the most visible parts of the studio.

The back "wall" sounds pretty cool. I don't know what they plan on doing to make that happen, but we are in 2011 and they will be celebrating forty years on TV. Let's upgrade!

*This post assumes, of course, that these things will actually occur and this won't be another season 37 "the show is turning into American Idol" situation.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 12:33:08 PM »
Playing devil's advocate for a moment: If seating is no longer first arrival = front row, is it possible that people will no longer find it necessary to get there up to 12 hours before taping and spend the night outside?

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 12:33:53 PM »
As for the set change, I'll remain cautiously optimistic that they're able to do it competently. I like the new Turntable and have liked it since its premiere, so I would hope they would exhibit the same kind of competence in a set change. Whatever they're going to be doing has to have something to do with squares. I don't think they'd build George a podium to match the Turntable and then end up tearing it apart and rebuilding it just weeks later. That wouldn't make much sense at all.

I really hope #2 doesn't turn into a video wall.  That's going to look horrible on TV. And if they're so obsessed about a big display for a trip, they should just man up and bring back the trip skins.

This. I really have nothing against the current screen in the back of the audience as-is, but if you're going king-size, the trip skins give you the best bang for your buck. If you're not going to bring back the trip skins, why not use a screen that looks just like a trip skin and put it back behind a door in such a way that it could be dropped from the ceiling, exactly like the old trip skins? With all the rigging methods they have in Hollywood, that's not a far-fetched idea.

...Again, why does Mike think people are paying attention to the front audience members during one-bids?? That's a really terrible misconception.

People do pay attention to the people in the front row, but for all the wrong reasons--mostly to say, "who put that guy there, and why couldn't he keep his hands off everyone going up the winners' stairs?" These are not things that golden-road.net alone notices. I know plenty of Joe Plinko-types who send me e-mails asking me if I'd noticed anything that was "off".

Tyler
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 12:38:15 PM »
Playing devil's advocate for a moment: If seating is no longer first arrival = front row, is it possible that people will no longer find it necessary to get there up to 12 hours before taping and spend the night outside?
Yes, but this was a traditional Price experience for die-hards.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 12:44:10 PM »
Number 3 sounds like a USELESS change. With the jib cam and zoom ins on calldowns EVERYBODY will be seen on camera. Moving people to the front is stupid. They're moving people to the front for what? A few extra minutes during the IUFBs. That will do NOTHING to help the show, because it wasn't a problem in the first place.

I would hope that TPTB were watching old episodes of the daytime version of The Price is Right, not the 1994 Nighttime version. A video wall seems unnecessary and complicated. I don't know how a "Wall" is constructed, but I can't imagine it being easy to take down once they strike the set at the end of the day.

I hope that one of the set changes means some new door design. Whether it is a drastic change from the squares to a simple number "40" on them, I always find door changes to be interesting. And if they change the turntable to be "bigger" we could see the return of Check Game! (just kidding)
^^^^^^^^
That will be my post if this is true.

I don't think it's a big deal to not be guaranteed to get a 'front row seat" just because you arrive three days earlier, considering the entertainment being doled out is free.
I think it is big deal to change something that was guaranteed for the past 40 years. Also, it is a bit of human philosophy in play. First in line, first in front. If I was first in line for a free concert, and I waited for a while, I'd want to be close to the performer. It is possible to be cheated out of something you didn't pay for.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:48:26 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Online urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 12:49:38 PM »
As for the set change, I'll remain cautiously optimistic that they're able to do it competently. I like the new Turntable and have liked it since its premiere, so I would hope they would exhibit the same kind of competence in a set change. Whatever they're going to be doing has to have something to do with squares. I don't think they'd build George a podium to match the Turntable and then end up tearing it apart and rebuilding it just weeks later. That wouldn't make much sense at all.

I agree. I feel that the show's set looks better than anything from season 31-35. The fact that when they changed hosts (and now show runners) and DIDNT go American Idol-y is great. What do people have against a video wall? Seriously! We've seen that video screen resolutions are way different than the 94' days and you can pull up some really nice images of places/things. I feel that the screen has modernized the show a bit and the way that they've been utilizing it has been pretty good, IMHO.

As for the 3rd...is it possible that OCA will change the seating around to accomadate groups better?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:52:46 PM by urbanpreppie0004 »

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 01:01:54 PM »
Yes, but this was a traditional Price experience for die-hards.

I know. That doesn't make it something most people would want to do if they didn't have to. "Most people" = everyone who's not a 20-something with lots of energy and the ability to function well after going without much or any sleep.

Online urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 01:02:23 PM »
I know. That doesn't make it something most people would want to do if they didn't have to. "Most people" = everyone who's not a 20-something with lots of energy and the ability to function well after going without much or any sleep.

This guy...

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 01:11:57 PM »
OK, but it's still symbolic of the change of guard and is an offense to die-hards like Willy.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Pushover72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 01:15:22 PM »
I think that this new seating plan will eventually result in less enthusiastic contestants.  There was always some type of communal experience in the line for those of us who got there early.  We lacked sleep and drank alot of coffee.   We felt full of energy and excitement...we waited so long to get in and...NOW WE ARE IN THE STUDIO!

If people know that getting there early no longer makes a difference and can come in much later, they are going to get a whole different crowd.  They will probably get even MORE people that don't know the show or even watch the show.  They are going to begin to get all those people that really didn't care enough about the show to get there early.

I'll bet that the show will now begin to get a older and less enthusiastic audience.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 01:33:57 PM »
Is it already that time of year that I have to start reinforcing my roof again? It's still pretty solid from the jump to Season 37, but maybe I better just be prepared...

And while I'm thinking about it, I don't think the all-caps panic-inducing thread title was really warranted, given the information you went on to provide.

. . . I don't think they'd build George a podium to match the Turntable and then end up tearing it apart and rebuilding it just weeks later. That wouldn't make much sense at all.

Have we already forgotten that this is the second new podium they've built for him, because the first one they built was so freakin' big they had to remove seats to fit it? They did pull off the new turntable nicely (although I could do without the big honkin' door frame) but I'm not convinced they're totally competent in this area.

Regarding the new screen in the back of the audience... When the announcement was first made that they were going to plop a plasma at the back of the house, I think we expected something then that took up a great portion of the wall, and what we got most of us considered "dinky", myself included. But over the past couple of years I've gotten used to the size. I still share the same opinion I did then, though; something that takes up a little bit more of that wall would definitely look better, IMO. Maybe it'll be closer to what Brandon Bridges did in his projects, which wouldn't bother me at all...

My prediction for the removal of seats is to accommodate the new screen. They stopped putting in folding chairs so the full width of the screen can be seen and a model can stand there. I'd guess they're gonna expand that platform. Which is stupid, but about all I can come up with to justify 25 fewer people in the studio.

I don't know how a "Wall" is constructed, but I can't imagine it being easy to take down once they strike the set at the end of the day.

I'm no expert, but I'd imagine instead of doing something projection-oriented they could use a bank of HD monitors and connect them seamlessly, without it being highly noticeable that it's not one big screen. I'm curious how our new director (assuming we'll have one) will handle these changes...

As far as this "ginormous" seating change goes, this may already be happening. A friend of mine that went to the show a few weeks ago (and was actually called as a contestant) was in one of the first 10 spots in line and ended up somewhere in the 3rd row. He conjectured it was because of "VIPs", who I know frequently get front seats, but I know there weren't three rows of them that day.

As far as the "major set changes" go, I can only hope they leave those door frames alone and don't decide to make them all color-changing. It seems like on game shows these days once a show decides to add color-changing parts to their set, they just can't stop themselves. See the Karn run of Family Feud. It started as just the back wall, and by his last season the whole set was a giant rainbow. They've already done this on Price, too. What started as a single strip around the door frames has already been added to some car backdrops and the entire back wall of the new turntable. And let's not forget Mike Richards' other show has a bazillion colors of light on its door frames, too.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:38:05 PM by CJBojangles »

Offline GR WHAMMY

• Just wants to enjoy the show!
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 01:47:42 PM »
videowall?

OMG, IT'S TNPIR94 ALL OVER AGAIN
Just wants to enjoy the show!
HYO WINNINGS: $3675

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 01:49:38 PM »
videowall?

OMG, IT'S TNPIR94 ALL OVER AGAIN

They've used plasma screens for 2 years, and now suddenly we're the Davidson version?

No one said they were gonna play Clock Game on it.

Offline GR WHAMMY

• Just wants to enjoy the show!
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 01:55:25 PM »
They've used plasma screens for 2 years, and now suddenly we're the Davidson version?

No one said they were gonna play Clock Game on it.

a panic stricken comment was made
Just wants to enjoy the show!
HYO WINNINGS: $3675