Author Topic: I must apologize.  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: I must apologize.
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 11:38:12 PM »
I have high functioning Asperger's. I was actually kind of relieved to learn this, because I finally knew the real reason for some of my behavior in school and elsewhere.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 12:21:47 AM »
I never was tested for it nor do I plan to be.  I'll admit I might have it as it would probably explain some of my behavior over the years, but I accept myself for who I am so I feel I don't need to know if I have it or not.  I live my life like anybody else and that's all that matters to me.  From my own observation, that seems to be how most of those who do know they have it handle it.  They just accept themselves for who they are and live their lives.  Unfortunately, that's not always the case.  Many of those with Asperger's or similar forms of autism get bullied and teased and it can be really emotionally damaging to them even to the point where they may feel like hopeless freaks or misfits or outcasts and nobody deserves to feel that way.

Most of you probably have already gathered, but in case you haven't, I'm gay and I have a boyfriend who has Asperger's and I absolutely love him to death and he loves me.  I think right there is proof positive that if people just take the time to try and understand the facts about Asperger's or even just autism in general, we can make those people who have it feel just a little more normal just by accepting them and loving them like we would anybody else.  So for those of you who are opening up in this thread, you should hold your heads up high and be proud of who you are.  For those of you who haven't quite gotten there yet, I hope that you'll be able to some day because you're somebody and nobody can take that away from you.  You're not a freak or a misfit, you're not hopeless, and you are important.

I've met several people with Asperger's or similar forms of autism through this site and elsewhere and for anyone who's encountered me here or there, I do not judge people for it.  If you've had a bad encounter with me, there were reasons for it that had absolutely nothing to do with it.  That goes for anybody.  I try to be a nice person and also easy to get along with.  If you're nice to me and I like you, I can be your best friend.  If you're not nice to me and I don't like you, then I won't be so easy to get along with.  I am who I am, what you see is what you get.   8-)

In closing, for those of you who don't have it and don't quite get it, autism is a developmental disorder that affects someone's social and communication skills, not a mental illness.  You may meet an autistic person some day and they may seem shy.  Just be patient with them and be nice to them.  Treat them with the same kindness and respect anybody else deserves.  They're not crazy or stupid, they're just not as quick to be socially outward and it varies from one person to the next how extreme the case may be.  Learn more at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:25:27 AM by gameshowfan1987 »

The actual retail price is...

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 12:47:25 AM »
I think every1 one this site could fess up to that.

Negative, chief.  I'm sure a lot of people here could, but no way is it all of them.  As far as I know, I'm not one of them, to give but one counterexample.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 01:30:17 AM »
I could. :P

I have Asperger's. It runs in the family. But I live my life normally, pretend it's not there 91% of the time (but right now I am  :-P), and go through life just fine.

Just keep living life.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 09:29:44 AM »
I think every1 one this site could fess up to that.

Um, no.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 10:39:49 AM »
Me neither.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 01:20:31 PM »
I don't have autisim....I have a young cousin in my family who does, but you wouldn't know it...he's so smart and makes the honor roll at school! And, he takes NO medicine whatsoever!
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline nbuckler14

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 04:35:54 PM »
I don't have autism of any form, but, I do respect anyone that does because of the extra challenges they have to go through.
This is Nick Buckler speaking for The Price is Right, a MARK GOODSON TELEVISION PRODUCTION!!!!  (catches breath)  Stay tuned for The Old and the Reckless on most of these CBS stations!

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 12:35:24 PM »

I have Asperger's Syndrome, which is an advanced form of autism.

Well, I don't feel so alone anymore... I have it too...

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 02:48:21 PM »
So much for the 30 day bump rule.

Offline wheelfan1991

• "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 03:29:32 PM »
 :headbang:

Read the damn rules people! That's what their there for!
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline mysterywedge

• In Contestant's Row
  • Howdy. You're reading blank text.
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 03:41:29 PM »
You might as well read the other rules too, before you break another one.

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 10:34:49 PM »
Well, I don't feel so alone anymore... I have it too...

Most of us on these boards have Asperger's syndrome.