Author Topic: COMING SOON: Jeopardy! classic episodes from season 1 (and possibly more)  (Read 11684 times)

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
I would guess that Jeopardy still plans to be on track with the new season based on that schedule then. After the MDM tournament, they’ll re-air the College tournament, the Teachers tournament, and then ideally that will bring us to new episodes. Time will tell I suppose.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
It feels more like planning through what’s definitely known, but we shouldn’t read too much into a posted schedule. Someone almost undoubtedly has a working plan draft for September’s reruns, etc. Keeping up with the news, there would seem to be a roughly zero percent chance they can return to the studio in time to get new episodes ready for the regular season, barring relocating the series to Antarctica or the international space station.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Would companies that featured various prizes need to be reimbursed for the reairing of old content? I could see that coming up possibly if so.....an issue J! wouldn't have obviously, outside of the cars for 5 day champs for a time in the late 90's and early 2000's and no games they are reairing will feature one. Where did you hear the rumors about Pat and aging incidentally?
I don't know for sure, but I would guess there's some kind of cost involved. The Pat rumor is just something I remember reading years ago when GSN stopped airing reruns in the mid 2000s.

I would guess that Jeopardy still plans to be on track with the new season based on that schedule then. After the MDM tournament, they’ll re-air the College tournament, the Teachers tournament, and then ideally that will bring us to new episodes. Time will tell I suppose.
They haven't filmed new episodes since shutting down production in March and so far I don't believe there's any official plan to resume taping yet. They're likely just taking the rerun schedule a few weeks at a time, and perhaps what they show next will depend on how well the vintage episodes do in the ratings. If they do well enough we'll get more, if not then they'll rerun the tournaments from this season next I would guess.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
They haven't filmed new episodes since shutting down production in March and so far I don't believe there's any official plan to resume taping yet. They're likely just taking the rerun schedule a few weeks at a time, and perhaps what they show next will depend on how well the vintage episodes do in the ratings. If they do well enough we'll get more, if not then they'll rerun the tournaments from this season next I would guess.

You know, if they do go vintage further, I'd LOVE to see Eddie Timanus's run shown again. For those that don't recall, he was/is blind, the first Jeopardy contestant to have been I believe, let alone the first 5 day champ to be.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
Jeopardy! has just posted what they're doing for the next 4 weeks:

Quoting from that webpage:

Wed., July 29           Jeff Probst, Charles Barkley, Martha Stewart

Did this appearance lead to Jeff Probst hosting Rock 'N Roll Jeopardy, or was it his fame as host of Survivor that got him on the show?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
Did this appearance lead to Jeff Probst hosting Rock 'N Roll Jeopardy, or was it his fame as host of Survivor that got him on the show?

I’m pretty sure RnR J! predates Survivor by a couple of years

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
I’m pretty sure RnR J! predates Survivor by a couple of years

It did. RnR J! ran from August of 1998 through May of 2001. I think in fact Jeff getting Survivor, coulda been how it ended, but that might be wrong. I thought I heard that somewhere though.

EDIT: Check that.....Survivor debuted in 2000 and had 2 seasons before RnR J! was cancelled. I thought it started in 01.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:57:25 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
It did. RnR J! ran from August of 1998 through May of 2001. I think in fact Jeff getting Survivor, coulda been how it ended, but that might be wrong. I thought I heard that somewhere though.

EDIT: Check that.....Survivor debuted in 2000 and had 2 seasons before RnR J! was cancelled. I thought it started in 01.

It’s possible those episodes of RnR J! that aired into 2001 were filmed a long time prior to them airing, and pre-date Jeff starting on Survivor

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
It’s possible those episodes of RnR J! that aired into 2001 were filmed a long time prior to them airing, and pre-date Jeff starting on Survivor

That could be, given what Survivor required of Jeff. I could see that.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
That could be, given what Survivor required of Jeff. I could see that.

Looks like Probst's appearance was more related to his success from Survivor than RnRJ.  Survivor, while still a big deal these days, was a major hit in the early 2000s (I think the first finale was 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in terms of the most watched TV program when M.A.S.H still had that record).

Chances are that those were taped after Survivor filmed their first two seasons.  Survivor typically films their shows way in advance and as close as possible as it relates to its autumn and spring airings.

Speaking of Jeff, I do remember thinking that he could succeed Alex one day during the Rock 'n Roll Jeopardy era and early in the Survivor series (not to be confused with the WWE PPV program).  With his work with Survivor, it would appear to be unlikely, but I think it could work.  As mentioned, Survivor filming and air dates are far apart, and they usually tape 2 seasons back-to-back these days, mainly in the summer months in Fiji.  I think Jeff could pull off Jeopardy and Survivor if everything's still in the Los Angeles area.

Anyway, that episode with Probst, Barkley, and Martha was such a treat back then.  They could run it a couple times if necessary and I'd tune into it
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck