Author Topic: Alex Trebek hits the big 8-0 today!  (Read 2174 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Alex Trebek hits the big 8-0 today!
« on: July 22, 2020, 06:59:17 PM »
Happy birthday Alex! And many more to you!
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
Re: Alex Trebek hits the big 8-0 today!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 07:18:26 PM »
Happy 80th birthday Alex Trebek! 1940-2020 :)

Trebek may be best known for Jeopardy! But I was a big fan of Trebek's Classic Concentration on NBC in the late 80s and early 90s. May you have many more years to come, Alex!
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 09:11:30 PM »
Here's certainly hoping.  I loved him on Classic Concentration as well back in the day. 

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 10:34:57 PM »
Happy birthday to Mr. Alex Trebek!  As much as I grew up remember him as rather serious & all busiiness, he always had a sense of humor.  As mentioned, he's most famous for Jeopardy but I think it's fair to say that he'll go down as a successful G-T emcee with Double Dare & TTTT (a show that allowed him to sit down while hosting) in addition to CC
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline rockyboy34

• In the Audience
  • This gives me life.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 10:39:14 PM »
Happy birthday, Alex!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 12:20:27 AM »
Happy birthday to Mr. Alex Trebek!  As much as I grew up remember him as rather serious & all busiiness, he always had a sense of humor.  As mentioned, he's most famous for Jeopardy but I think it's fair to say that he'll go down as a successful G-T emcee with Double Dare & TTTT (a show that allowed him to sit down while hosting) in addition to CC

The original High Rollers host too, for 4 years essentially counting both runs.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 12:51:53 AM »
He also the ill-fated game Pitfall, and more shows - Battlestars, The Wizard of Odds, etc.; and various pilots including Second Guess.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 01:03:04 AM »
Happy Birthday Alex and many more to come!  :biggrin:

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 01:07:33 AM »
He also the ill-fated game Pitfall, and more shows - Battlestars, The Wizard of Odds, etc.; and various pilots including Second Guess.

Yeah he did (the first one not even getting paid for by the end). I'd say his most successful/the 3 he'd be most known for would be High Rollers, Jeopardy and Classic Concentration though, TTTT perhaps too as a distant 4th. He also has the distinction of hosting 3 shows at the very same time in 91, with CC, J! and TTTT. Not sure anyone else has done it before or since where game shows are concerned.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 10:55:24 AM »
Alex looks terrific for 80, considering health issues. He may surprise us yet.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 10:55:36 PM »
Happy 80th, Alex!