Author Topic: Former Australian TPiR host makes appearance at U.S. TPiR  (Read 18572 times)

Offline shieldsy101

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Former Australian TPiR host makes appearance at U.S. TPiR
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2011, 02:24:36 AM »
Australia is a good market for this type of show, but I hope they don't bring back the odd showcase format there.  Hopefully they can do two showcases like here.  I think that odd format is part of why the show failed, but that's just my opinion.

Cyclone

No, the main reason why the 2003-2005 version failed, was because it was up against Deal or No Deal, which at it's time, was frequently getting over 1 million (in Australia for that timeslot. is pretty good). Ratings wise, Deal or No Deal beat out TPIR, Family Feud, Million Dollar Wheel of Fortune, and now is facing a tough competition from Millionaire Hot Seat, which has been around since about late 2008, and is currently giving Deal a real run for its money.

Also, there were rumours going around towards the end of TPIR Australia, that Larry was going to retire from television and do something else (I don't know why, as he was only 41-42 at the end of TPIR), but Channel 7 poached him literally 24 hours after he taped the last TPIR, and got him on to host Wheel of Fortune, which ironically only lasted 6 months after that.

Anyway, I can't wait to see Larry host TPIR again. In my opinion, he is 10 times better than both Barker or Carey!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 02:29:21 AM by shieldsy101 »
Hurricane Microsoft - It'll make your Windows Crash
Andrew Hansen from the Chaser's War on Everything (Australian Comedy Series) discussing whether companies should brand a natural disaster

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2011, 02:39:07 AM »
Are rumours flying about him staying in America someday and taking over OUR TPIR?  Drew's contract does end after Season 40...

If the rumours haven't started, I'll start that rumour (even if I'll just get egg on my face).  It sounds like some people think he's better than the American hosts.  And I've seen a couple of his eps. (on Youtube, mind) and they aren't bad, just the awkward showcase bit sucks.

Cyclone

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2011, 02:57:24 AM »
Also, there were rumours going around towards the end of TPIR Australia, that Larry was going to retire from television and do something else (I don't know why, as he was only 41-42 at the end of TPIR), but Channel 7 poached him literally 24 hours after he taped the last TPIR, and got him on to host Wheel of Fortune, which ironically only lasted 6 months after that.

There is nothing even remotely ironic about that.

If the rumours haven't started, I'll start that rumour (even if I'll just get egg on my face).  It sounds like some people think he's better than the American hosts.

Well, that's horribly irresponsible of you.  You're basing this on the opinion of a single fan who has no connections and who was able to watch Larry because he lives in Australia.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline TheTechSGT

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2011, 10:15:04 AM »
Shieldsy, I thought you said you were leaving?  Definitely remember seeing a strongly-worded message from you that you were?

I'm puzzled how you can say anyone is "10 times better than" Barker?  Your version wouldn't have been possible without his, so isn't your statement kind of like saying the imitation is better than the original?  On a board dedicated to the U.S. version of the show that just seems like an inflammatory thing to say.

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2011, 11:38:05 AM »
Well, that's horribly irresponsible of you.  You're basing this on the opinion of a single fan who has no connections and who was able to watch Larry because he lives in Australia.

Someone had to start the rumour.  Personally, I don't think Drew's going anywhere, but Larry is IMO as good as Drew, perhaps better.

Cyclone

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2011, 12:20:34 PM »
Someone had to start the rumour.

No, nobody "had to start a rumor."  That's a completely idiotic attitude to take about anything (and frankly, if you're going to, stating outright that "I'm starting a rumor!!!" is probably the most moronic way I can think of to go about it), and if it's the one you're going to go with, maybe you'd be better suited to the GSN boards.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2011, 12:53:06 PM »
No one ever "has" to start a rumor. It's just as bad as pointless speculation. They're so counterproductive that it takes the mods and folks who actually know what they're talking about a lot of damage control to ensure that random false pieces of information aren't continually perpetuated as fact, which seems to happen a lot around here.

So how about we avoid rumors. The last thing we need is more confusion.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2011, 04:20:30 PM »
Shieldsy, I thought you said you were leaving?  Definitely remember seeing a strongly-worded message from you that you were?
Technically he said he was scaling back on his posting. Also, is there any need to try and start something? Let's leave this part of the past behind.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline shieldsy101

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2011, 06:13:24 PM »
Technically he said he was scaling back on his posting. Also, is there any need to try and start something? Let's leave this part of the past behind.

Thank you j.

I said some things that I stand behind, although looking back at it now, I probably could have said them a lot more tactfully, so I said some dumb things, and that's all we'll talk about it now.

I'm puzzled how you can say anyone is "10 times better than" Barker?  Your version wouldn't have been possible without his, so isn't your statement kind of like saying the imitation is better than the original?  On a board dedicated to the U.S. version of the show that just seems like an inflammatory thing to say.

Considering that I never even saw the US Price is Right until midway through season 34, and didn't come onto these boards until sometime in Season 37. Larry was my main Price is Right host growing up, and I’m sure you could understand that since he was pretty well my introduction to game shows, he would be my favourite Price is Right host, even though I do like both Barker and Carey (Carey moreso).  Also, I feel that Larry had much more of a chemistry between the contestants than Barker ever did. Just look at this clip, from shortly after the 2004 boxing day tsunami. You can tell Larry is genuinely touched by this contestant.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:25:12 PM by shieldsy101 »
Hurricane Microsoft - It'll make your Windows Crash
Andrew Hansen from the Chaser's War on Everything (Australian Comedy Series) discussing whether companies should brand a natural disaster

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2011, 06:58:14 PM »
No one ever "has" to start a rumor. It's just as bad as pointless speculation. They're so counterproductive that it takes the mods and folks who actually know what they're talking about a lot of damage control to ensure that random false pieces of information aren't continually perpetuated as fact, which seems to happen a lot around here.

So how about we avoid rumors. The last thing we need is more confusion.

Ack, well, maybe rumour isn't the right word.  But it's still something I wouldn't mind seeing.

Cyclone

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2011, 12:32:50 AM »
You're trying to spread the notion there's a chance Larry will replace Drew based on some people's opinions of the two. That's a rumor, a completely unfounded one at that, and you're really making yourself look pretty bad.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2011, 02:13:48 AM »
You're trying to spread the notion there's a chance Larry will replace Drew based on some people's opinions of the two. That's a rumor, a completely unfounded one at that, and you're really making yourself look pretty bad.

Yeah, rumour isn't the word I meant.  I mean to merely suggest that it's something I wouldn't mind seeing.  My apologies.  But I still think Drew isn't going anywhere.

Maybe I'll just shut up now before I dig a bigger hole.

Cyclone

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »

Realistically, though, one can say something someone improves upon what came before. (Though "original" in this specific case is more like a "sequel," but that's a different matter.)  This is particularly true with an entirely subjective topic...being "first" may or may not equate to being "best" in any individual's opinion.

Offline WhammyPower788

• I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2011, 04:22:09 PM »
And here's a video of the experience (WARNING: May contain spoilers!)

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-morning-show/video/-/watch/26142660/come-on-down-larry-part-1/

(Part 2 can be found in the list below the video)
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline themountainclimber

• 9/29/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • Make it a super stretch!
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
^ Wow! The new set looks even better than I thought!