Author Topic: Wheel's New Season  (Read 14511 times)

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Wheel's New Season
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2011, 08:42:35 PM »
THere were a couple occasions at least on Dawson Feud where a question was seen on air and was then thrown out for various reasons. A question about naming a famous G-T show was thrown out because RIchard asked whether TTTT was the longest running game show and one of the staffers said What's my Line, which was on the survey so the question was thrown out. A few other questions were thrown out because they went to six or more players with no right answer given.

And also I saw one episode on GSN where the guy accidently revealed two answers on the board instead of one. They had to go to the next question immediately

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2011, 10:20:39 PM »
THere were a couple occasions at least on Dawson Feud where a question was seen on air and was then thrown out for various reasons. A question about naming a famous G-T show was thrown out because RIchard asked whether TTTT was the longest running game show and one of the staffers said What's my Line, which was on the survey so the question was thrown out. A few other questions were thrown out because they went to six or more players with no right answer given.
And also I saw one episode on GSN where the guy accidently revealed two answers on the board instead of one. They had to go to the next question immediately
Yet none of those are in any way similar to the video I linked to, where a round played by the book with no error was discarded for "not enough points" being revealed by the third Strike.

What I do not understand is that doing this kind of thing wastes time which then results in paying more money to the studio for using their facility. One would think that in this kind of economy, Family Feud would know better.

Then again, I am attempting to apply logic to the decisions of Fremantle.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:31:41 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2011, 02:01:06 AM »
What I do not understand is that doing this kind of thing wastes time which then results in paying more money to the studio for using their facility. One would think that in this kind of economy, Family Feud would know better.

Doesn't it look silly having two teams fight over 19 points?

How ridiculous would it be to have two sudden death questions just so that one team can get to 300?

The time that they would spend to retape that question is minimal compared to some of the other not-seen-on-TV things that the show appears to waste resources on.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2011, 04:35:30 AM »
No sillier than in the Dawson/Combs era. While possibly irrelevant, when was the last time the show revealed the #1 answer after the question? I truly do not recall.

How ridiculous would it be to have two sudden death questions just so that one team can get to 300?
Not very much. The show appears to not have two Sudden Death questions ready in the event it would be necessary, and it would seem that they throw out low-scoring rounds precisely to avoid the situation.

The time that they would spend to retape that question is minimal compared to some of the other not-seen-on-TV things that the show appears to waste resources on.
At the very least, those things may be considered funny; further, they are generally irrelevant to gameplay and do not affect the outcome of it. On the other hand, throwing out rounds for failing to pass an unstated threshold directly affects gameplay and (to the best of my knowledge) is not stated by the show outside of that video.

By choosing to go for humor and fill Steve's statement that "you'll see it on YouTube", the show exposed a bizarre rule with the lamest excuse I have heard in years (really, "not enough points"? How about "spending other people's money is fun"?).

The worst part is that it does not seem to be the first time it has happened.
----
(No, I am not associated with Feud, either. Were I associated with them, I would most certainly be dismissed following my posts in this topic.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:48:05 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2011, 08:13:32 AM »

There was a Karn episode where the score was under 300 for one team and zero for the other at the end of the Triple round. Karn said if the team with zero got the sudden death question, they'd have to play a second one.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2011, 02:15:37 PM »
There was a Karn episode where the score was under 300 for one team and zero for the other at the end of the Triple round. Karn said if the team with zero got the sudden death question, they'd have to play a second one.

Doesn't that defeat the point of the term "sudden death"?

The show obviously has a procedure to make sure that this doesn't happen any longer.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »
Doesn't that defeat the point of the term "sudden death"?

The show obviously has a procedure to make sure that this doesn't happen any longer.

I believe said scenario actually occurred in the O'Hurley years.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2011, 03:19:23 PM »

Yes.   It's 'throw out any question worth less than 20 points'.

Not if they play it for laughs correctly.  I remember some pretty good snarks from Ray over a 6-point question, and I suspect Steve would have a field day with it if they let him.

Even if one round's a stinker, I find it hard to believe that one team could sweep the first three questions and still be under 100 points.  At that point, you just have to make sure you have a Triple and a Sudden Death ready with two obvious, 60-70 point #1's.

No sillier than in the Dawson/Combs era. While possibly irrelevant, when was the last time the show revealed the #1 answer after the question? I truly do not recall.

I don't watch every day, but it happens every now and then.  Oftentimes in the first three Q's, the #1 answer will only be in the 20's or even high teens.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2011, 05:01:52 PM »

No more than it did during the previous seasons of Family Feud.

Any point amount can help a team get closer to winning (obviously) which is why I don't like that they are now cutting the rounds when there's less than 20 points up for grabs.

I mean overall, what's the difference between say, 27 points during a single pt. round and 18 points during a single pt. round when you have a double round, a triple round, and a sudden death round (when necessary)?

I can understand if they did this for the double and triple rounds (less than 20 points in either of the two rounds would cause the game to be long), but it doesn't make sense to do it for the single point rounds (which is seemingly what they have been doing the most).

I mean a team alone could win on a double and a triple as long as they give the top 2-3 answers for those two rounds.  The biggest influence that the single point rounds have is when a team clean sweeps another team breaking the 300 point mark before getting into the triple round. Most who do this usually hit the 300 point mark on the nose or are above it by only 2 to 10 points. So again, any point value can help a family win (obviously).

It has actually happened before.

I have to agree that the show now seems to be putting a bit less emphasis on the gameplay than they did in previous seasons before Steve was the host.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:12:33 PM by BD »

Offline Borusa

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2011, 12:01:01 AM »
Has anyone been to a taping of Wheel's New Season yet?

Offline Garvin8r

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2011, 09:38:29 PM »
[quote author=PriceFanArmadillo link=topic=17803.msg306851#msg306851 date=1312139963
Not if they play it for laughs correctly.  I remember some pretty good snarks from Ray over a 6-point question, and I suspect Steve would have a field day with it if they let him.
[/quote]

I remember a $3 question on the syndicated version in 1990.  But I agree with what's been said; there are ways to manipulate the rest of the game so that one bad survey does not affect the show's timing and you still finish in 5 questions or less.

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2011, 08:15:06 AM »
[quote author=PriceFanArmadillo link=topic=17803.msg306851#msg306851 date=1312139963

I remember a $3 question on the syndicated version in 1990.  But I agree with what's been said; there are ways to manipulate the rest of the game so that one bad survey does not affect the show's timing and you still finish in 5 questions or less.

They had a $3 bank on the Dawson syndicated version circa 1983. Worst case scenario on the current version is they have to play two sudden death questions at the end to determine a winner.