Author Topic: new plinko opening idea  (Read 14817 times)

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
Re: new plinko opening idea
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 10:14:49 AM »
No I was doing a sample contestant. Michael's a man who wear a Plinko shirt.
Then why'd you call him a her?  Mistake?

Offline John92

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 10:20:24 AM »
Let's try again:

Drew: What do we got for him/her?

George: (CONTESTANT'S NAME), today's your day....

(Cut to George's Podium)

George: You're gonna play...

("Plinko" appears on George's Podium)

PLINKO!!

(The Cats theme plays)

George: For a Chance to win...

($50,000 appears)

George: $50,000!!!

(Plinko chips fall down transition to plinko board)

On Cash Games, George can announce the pricing game that the contestant is playing.

George: It's a chance to win $20,000 in cash, playing the (new) Grand Game!

Offline nowhammies11

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The blood of angry men, the dark of ages past
    • The Whammy's Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 10:31:06 AM »
Actually, with the plasma screen in the back of the audience, if a new PL!NKO reveal were to be implemented there, it would be a nice call back to the sign's original staging, before it went to the TT.
YOU CAN NEVER STOP :clipboard:

Offline Anastasia Beaverhausen

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 01:53:15 PM »

I actually saw the episode he's talking about. Some guy had a homemade Plinko shirt, and the girl who won the IUFB played the game.

(Don't ask me when; I know it was a Drew episode. Maybe a season premiere?)

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 02:14:03 PM »

No, I've got it now.  Completely missed the reference. 

Back on topic, I still like the contestant reaction shot way better than any graphic of any sort of board, so let's please not do this.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 05:29:55 PM »
Back on topic, I still like the contestant reaction shot way better than any graphic of any sort of board, so let's please not do this.

Agreed. The Plinko board is and has always been the icon, not the sign. The current reveal goes straight to the board instead of wasting time flipping panels and cutting to and from the contestant, and gets the contestant's immediate reaction instead of working on a 5-second delay. I think it's the best Plinko reveal in history. Sign or no sign, it certainly beats this crap.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »
Agreed. The Plinko board is and has always been the icon, not the sign. The current reveal goes straight to the board instead of wasting time flipping panels and cutting to and from the contestant, and gets the contestant's immediate reaction instead of working on a 5-second delay. I think it's the best Plinko reveal in history. Sign or no sign, it certainly beats this crap.

Not quite what he said.

There are some things more important than time when it comes to Price. This is one of them. But the big reason the sign worked was because it really heightened the fact to the home audience that a contestant was going to play Plinko. The current shot, while still neat, doesn't even get the board in all that well, and almost immediately cuts to the contestant.

Plus, jib shots are ugly. In my opinion.

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 11:16:47 PM »
That's not what he said.

Let's try this again.  "Honestly, I LIKE the current reveal better than using the screen in the back." is a reference to the current televised reveal of the game "Plinko".  I commented that I like the reveal.  How is that "not what he said"?

Cyclone

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 11:27:06 PM »
I was referring to the reveal before the current one, which sacrificed any shot of any sort of boardage/signage for a good shot of the contestant's reaction.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 11:51:21 PM »
Ah, I'm saying I like the price tag (or whatever it is) lifting up in the reveal.  I don't know why, it has the no-cut one-take feel to it before going to the contestant.

Cyclone

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 12:10:10 AM »
If Pay the Rent can get a $100,000 sign of its own, then Plinko should have its own sign again, seeing as how it's the most popular game.

Since the show now airs in HD, why can't they do a split screen: contestant reaction on left, sign on right? I guess that would make too much sense, though...
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 07:49:44 AM »
Let's try this again.  "Honestly, I LIKE the current reveal better than using the screen in the back." is a reference to the current televised reveal of the game "Plinko".  I commented that I like the reveal.  How is that "not what he said"?

Cyclone

The poster you seconded said that he liked the new reveal better than using a screen, but then you said:

I'll second that.  No need for a separate sign, just reveal the game.

Cyclone

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 05:36:49 PM »
The poster you seconded said that he liked the new reveal better than using a screen, but then you said:

Oh, I get it.  The "separate sign" is the one that turned its boards to say PLINKO on shows of old.  That's the sign I meant.

Cyclone

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 06:16:22 PM »
I've got a New Plinko Opening Idea. The current opening with "The Cats" sting played over it. There, fixed it.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline RBDP

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 07:04:28 PM »
Hi Guys. 

This thread on the Plinko opening is very interesting to me because, from the very start of my tenure at TPIR, creating an impressive opening presentation that matched the grander of the game was at the top of my list.  A lot of good ideas here!  But, here's the story of how the new opening came to be.

First, Guint asked "does the old sign still exist".  The answer is, sadly, no.

In my plan for the Plinko opening, the original sign did play a part in the new reveal of the game.  In fact, I asked Bente if it was still around and if so where.  I was told that, at that time, it did exist in our storage warehouse.  I asked her to pull it from storage and bring it down to the stage so we could look at it, see what shape it was in, and if we could clean her up so I could demonstrate my new idea to the producers.

To my surprise, I was told that when "management" found out I wanted the sign, it was ordered to be destoryed to "make room in the storage area".  With that, the Plinko sign was reportedly trashed.  This is second hand information, but it seems the sign existed when I asked for it, but was destroyed with the knowledge I wanted to put it back on the air. 

I did ultimately implement the rest of my vision for the reveal, but without the sign.  It is what you see on the air now. 

What's the missing part?  In my re-imagining of the open, as I took the wide shot, and as the Race Drop started to fly away, the turntable would have spun.  On it would be a restored version of the original Pinko sign prop.  As it turned to camera, the blinds would have flipped from Plinko to $50,000.  To me this would have been so dramatic as the entire set would have transformed and opened up to Plinko.   During the game, behind Drew as he deposited the chips after they fell, we would have seen the sign with the Plinko logo turned back out to camera.  So that's what might have been.

This moment represented my very first, huge disappointment at the show in so many ways.  But, as a fan, most important was that a historic prop was senselessly destroyed (when it could have just as early ended up in Bob Boden's famous game show museum).

This all being said, I love the new Plinko reveal as it airs.  The feeling is big and important, just as the game deserves, and the graphics are state-of-the-art and impressive, but very "Price is Right"!