Author Topic: TPIR Special, from August 21, 1986  (Read 3488 times)

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
TPIR Special, from August 21, 1986
« on: August 10, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
Here is a nighttime special from August of 1986.

Credit goes to TVLubber

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: TPIR Special, from August 21, 1986
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 05:31:11 PM »
Here are my comments quickly browsing through the show...

Wow, what a generous L7... I wonder how many times they gave the last number of a 5-digit in this era? Then it's a tech win anyways...

Heh, seeing Grandy like this reminds me of Mike's setups... shouldn't even be close anymore. Also weird to see a mere 0.09 over GP too. Drew also never has done a Bob-esque reveal like there either, has he?

Trip skin, and a place that ranges from 8-12k now being less than 4k. Also, EXACTLY in the middle... LOL

Oh boy, the old Punchy design as we prepare for a fresh distribution. This is a classic playing, it stands as a clip of its own somewhere...

Yet A# is normal, giving the first number. Hmm. -789 was also favorable.

This was an interesting primetime lineup. Two cashers in the middle of half slots maxed out, otherwise some common games (Racey is the most well-known MP, right?).

No commercials from PG3/6 to the showdowns cut off some decent contestant celebrations, I can see why this wasn't kept in the future.

56k / 16k? Not that 16k is cheap here, but that's quite a difference between the two.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline GSNSmashFan3

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My game show collection.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 06:06:22 PM »
Wow, what a generous L7... I wonder how many times they gave the last number of a 5-digit in this era?

I believe this was the only time.
HYO Winnings:
$46,241.21 (Participated in 6 games; on stage 4 times)

I love Clock Game!

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:35:36 PM »
SUnday is the 25th anniversary of the first TPIR primetime special airing. The SC winner on this episode got profiled in the Valley INdependent newspaper in SW PA a couple weeks before their show aired(what the contestant won in total winnings and one of the prizes was even spoiled in the article) and was profiled on KDKA that night, as he was from Monessen, PA, near Pittsburgh.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:35:53 PM »

All playings of Lucky $even on the primetime specials used this rule.

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 08:00:15 PM »
All playings of Lucky $even on the primetime specials used this rule.

No, that's wrong.  I know for a fact that they gave the contestant the first number in "Lucky $even" on the 25th Anniversary Special.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:03:16 PM »
No, that's wrong.  I know for a fact that they gave the contestant the first number in "Lucky $even" on the 25th Anniversary Special.

:headbang:

You know what I meant.

Offline kassilynn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:23:28 PM »
That was a FANTASTIC show !!!  :D
Not one, but TWO $10,000 winners and both car games won !

Somewhat odd hearing "The Cats" being used for the prize descriptions in Race Game, I thought "Starcrossed" or the Make your Move prize music was gonna be used and too bad Graham didn't win Race Game though.

Overall, my uncle and I really enjoyed watching this one !  :D
"Say whatever you want to about me, my artwork, etc, I don't really care.
If you don't want me or even like me, then I'm DAMN sure am not gonna let myself want OR
like YOU !"

^ That's my message to all you haters and people who are negative when it comes to me.

Offline RickZ317

• In the Audience
    • WTBU Radio
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 09:04:38 PM »

I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I am confident I saw a daytime playing of Lucky $even where the last number was given for free. It was a 1986 episode that reran on GSN (in WinTV) in 1999 or 2000.

Since no one here has ever mentioned seeing this I would have chocked it up to me misremembering this particular episode, but I vividly remember what Barker said when describing the rules. I remember him asking the contestant/audience "Why would we give you the first number for free? That's probably the easiest number to get. So we're going to give you the last number for free."

Maybe Barker didn't get the memo that these rules were for the nighttime show only? That is, if this ever happened. Does any one else ever remember seeing this episode during the WinTV days? Anyone?

Rick

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 09:11:36 PM »
"Why would we give you the first number for free? That's probably the easiest number to get. So we're going to give you the last number for free."
If this did indeed happen, Barker's logic was nonsensical. Giving the last number in a five-digit format with cars in the $10,000 range essentially means that the contestant has to guess three numbers (2nd-3rd-4th), which in turn makes the game easier.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline RickZ317

• In the Audience
    • WTBU Radio
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 09:14:46 PM »
which in turn makes the game easier.

Exactly. He made it sound like he wanted to make the game easier for the contestant.

Offline TPIR75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 10:36:02 PM »
"The Cats" as the Race Game cue??  Love it.