Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 8/19/2011  (Read 71728 times)

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 8/19/2011
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 12:22:38 PM »
Not every single time, but on numerous playings, yes, they most certainly are...The whole point was that it's too subjective to describe the game the way Drew does. "Just over" could mean different things to different people. Plus, why not be exact and leave no room for misinterpretation when describing the rules?

Because it's apparent you're not going to get that with Drew. You give him a cue card and ask him to read it exactly as it appears on the card, he'll still ad lib and mangle it. He's an ad libber ... that's just the way it is. He knows the rules, but if you ask him to explain a given game to 100 different people one at a time (and sequestering them, and calling them out one at a time for Drew to explain the game), you'll likely hear 100 different explanations of the game, all varying in accuracy. That's just the way it is. (And to be fair to Drew, you'd get that with most other hosts as well, from the bad to the legends.)

In all honesty, though, I'd like to see any of you try it. All you need is five people and a video camera, actually. Have four people go off in a different room, turn on the camera and explain the rules of any given game to the first person (no cue cards; you must do it from memory), then once you're finished call out the second person and then explain the same game to that person (again, no cue cards or cheat sheets ... that's cheating!) and so forth until you've spoken to all five of your friends. Then play back the video and see how you did.

And just for even more funsies, put it on YouTube. Let us see if you could do better than Drew.

Brian

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 12:43:20 PM »
"I'm going to show you a series of 10 prices for this car, but none of them are correct. As I show you each price, you tell me whether you want to see the next price, or if you think it is the first one over the actual retail price of the car. You let me know that by shouting out, 'That's Too Much!' If you tell me to stop at the right time, you win the car!"

It's better to just simplify it:

"I'm going to show you a price, and another, and another.  When you think you see the first price that is more than the actual retail price of the car, I want you to say, 'That's Too Much!'  If you stop at the first price that's over the actual price of the car, you win." 

I think even Drew explained it this way when he first learned the game; I may have to pop in a DVD or two from Season 36 just to check it out.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2011, 01:32:20 PM »
Because it's apparent you're not going to get that with Drew. You give him a cue card and ask him to read it exactly as it appears on the card, he'll still ad lib and mangle it. He's an ad libber ... that's just the way it is. He knows the rules, but if you ask him to explain a given game to 100 different people one at a time (and sequestering them, and calling them out one at a time for Drew to explain the game), you'll likely hear 100 different explanations of the game, all varying in accuracy.

I was being rhetorical in my question, but since you responded, I'll do the same. Drew is (over)paid millions of dollars per year to host this show. The old "that's just the way Drew is" saying doesn't cut it. The only thing required to avoid confusion explaining That's Too Much is for him to add the word "first" (as in, "...the first price that's over the actual price of the car...") to what he already says. It's not that hard, and it wouldn't require a great deal of effort on Drew's part. The problem is, he just doesn't seem to care to get any better, which has been the case for years now. But to say, "Ah, that's just Drew, he'll explain it differently all the time, and sometimes the accuracy of his explanation will vary..." No.

Of course he's the host and he knows the rules, but it's his job to explain the proceedings to people who are not familiar with how everything works. If he cannot do that, it's poor hosting, not "Drew just being Drew." It's an aspect of his job that he can work on and get better at, he just won't or doesn't care to.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2011, 02:12:42 PM »
If he cannot do that, it's poor hosting, not "Drew just being Drew." It's an aspect of his job that he can work on and get better at, he just won't or doesn't care to.

Or he really doesn't think that it's a problem. A lot of the posts criticizing Drew's performance go like this:

A. Someone here thinks Drew is a bad host, therefore,
B. Drew knows he's a bad host, therefore,
C. Drew knows he's a bad host, and doesn't care.

"A" is a matter of opinion, but if "B" isn't true, then "C" can't be true. If he's satisfied with his performance, why would he "work on and get better at" something he doesn't think is a problem?

Offline spoon14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Straight outta Medellin!
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2011, 03:12:48 PM »
My proposed rules explanation for That's Too Much would be something like:
"I'm going to show you a series of prices. They will increase in value. Each price will be higher than the previous price. None of them is actual price of the car. When you see the very first price that's above the price of the car, yell out "That's Too Much!" If you've guessed right, you win the car."

I don't like Drew's explanation. But I think it's just an aesthetic problem rather than one that affects game play. I don't think it leads players to misunderstand the rules in any material way. It probably just makes some think the ARP will be only a few bucks below their right answer. But either way, they'll see a price that looks like the first one over what they have in mind.

I don't think Drew's explanation would make people think there's more than one right answer. The contestant would have to make some big leaps all on their own to get there. And in that case, the gameplay wouldn't make sense at all. Why not just always pick the last price. I don't Nedda was confused by Drew. I think she just made one of those knee-jerk mistakes that players (and people outside TPIR) often do. Her brain was concentrating on the thousands and not thinking of the other digits. So when she saw a 19-something correct price, she instantly thought 20-something was the next highest one. It didn't register immediately that there was a 19-something in the progression that was higher than the 19-something ARP.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2011, 03:23:33 PM »
If he's satisfied with his performance, why would he "work on and get better at" something he doesn't think is a problem?

If he's satisfied with his performance in That's Too Much yesterday, there's just no helping him. The contestant thought she had won when she didn't. She missed the entire point of the pricing game. Common sense would dictate that Drew would at least think to himself, "I wonder why that happened. Was it something I did? Maybe I didn't explain the game well enough. Could I do something better next time?" Clearly, his explanation didn't resonate with the contestant. That isn't her fault. Furthermore, just because Drew doesn't think something isn't a problem doesn't mean that it isn't. (Kind of like just because Drew thinks something is "cool" certainly doesn't mean it actually is.)

It's not as if I'm making up some outlandish subjective opinion out of thin air. I'm basing what I say off of what I have seen on the show. Because of the way Drew explained That's Too Much, the contestant didn't completely understand the game...Because of Drew's Race Game explanation, the contestant ended up throwing the price tags on the floor...etc.

If these examples and others we've all seen don't constitute inept hosting, or at least hosting that could be improved, then what would? I just cannot fathom how a supposedly experienced and seasoned professional could be "satisfied" with some of his work and not want to get better at it? Why would anyone in his or her right mind not want to get better at what they do for a living?

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2011, 03:43:12 PM »
I was being rhetorical in my question, but since you responded, I'll do the same. Drew is (over)paid millions of dollars per year to host this show. The old "that's just the way Drew is" saying doesn't cut it. The only thing required to avoid confusion explaining That's Too Much is for him to add the word "first" (as in, "...the first price that's over the actual price of the car...") to what he already says. It's not that hard, and it wouldn't require a great deal of effort on Drew's part. The problem is, he just doesn't seem to care to get any better, which has been the case for years now. But to say, "Ah, that's just Drew, he'll explain it differently all the time, and sometimes the accuracy of his explanation will vary..." No.

Well, as I see it, that IS the way it IS ... he does explain the rules differently all the time; he has no consistency with his explanations. I think several posters on here had it right ... apparently, he thinks he's doing a good job, does not see that in the instances where his explanations lead to a loss what he said might have something to do with it (in reality, that's just opinion), and no amount of backstage debriefing will change that.

I agree that simple modifications of his explanations aren't that hard and would go a long way, but is Drew willing to change, or is he THAT amen arrogant and believes he's the best game show host ever that he WON'T change (he probably thinks he's got a room full of trophies for his hosting) ... and us talking about his mistakes real or perceived on here until our faces turn blue makes him even more convinced he's doing it right? That's how I see it.

It's not helping. I'd just say by this measure, just fire him and don't pay him the last year of his contract.

Brian

BTW temptation: How much SHOULD Drew be paid (besides $0 or similar low amount)?

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 04:08:07 PM »
Furthermore, just because Drew doesn't think something isn't a problem doesn't mean that it isn't.

I completely agree. I was responding to your statement that he "just doesn't want to" improve that particular part of his hosting. Your statement implies that Drew doesn't want to fix the problem, and I was saying maybe it's more of a case that he doesn't think there's anything to be fixed. And maybe Mike and the others running the show either don't see it themselves, or they don't want to bring it up to him.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »
I agree that simple modifications of his explanations aren't that hard and would go a long way, but is Drew willing to change, or is he THAT (gosh-darn) arrogant and believes he's the best game show host ever that he WON'T change (he probably thinks he's got a room full of trophies for his hosting) ... and us talking about his mistakes real or perceived on here until our faces turn blue makes him even more convinced he's doing it right?

Oh, I don't think Drew is arrogant at all. He actually seems like a really nice man and a good person. I just don't think he gives a doodley about being a good host, and that's the final product that comes across on camera--so much apathy. He seems perfectly happy and content being 100% mediocre. (I just don't believe for a second that Drew doesn't realize there at least parts of his hosting that could be vastly improved. I think he's aware he could do better, but what he does do is enough to get by, so why put forth any more effort than that.) What I'm saying is that he could easily improve his hosting skills with a minimal amount of effort, but apparently, he's not even willing to do that much.

One other note on that quote. I'm not here trying to convince Drew himself of anything. If I wanted to do that, I'd attempt to write him personally, or something of that nature. I'm here because I enjoy talking about The Price is Right, and I enjoy talking about the show with all types of other fans, no matter if they agree with me or not. That's all. I don't post in the hopes that somehow, what I say will find its way to Drew's own eyeballs. I'm here because I still enjoy talking and debating about the show and its inner workings.

BTW temptation: How much SHOULD Drew be paid (besides $0 or similar low amount)?

You don't seriously think I'd say the man should be paid $0 do you? Geez, I'd like to think my posting history reflects a bit more thought and reflection than that! I don't think his work commands more than $1.5 million per season at most. That's just my own personal opinion. You asked; I answered.

I completely agree. I was responding to your statement that he "just doesn't want to" improve that particular part of his hosting. Your statement implies that Drew doesn't want to fix the problem, and I was saying maybe it's more of a case that he doesn't think there's anything to be fixed. And maybe Mike and the others running the show either don't see it themselves, or they don't want to bring it up to him.

He doesn't see any problems to be fixed, the others running the show don't see any problems either, or those running the show don't want to bring any of the problems to Drew's attention...I could see any of those being true, or even some combination of them.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:54:05 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2011, 06:07:02 PM »
Oh, I don't think Drew is arrogant at all. He actually seems like a really nice man and a good person. I just don't think he gives a doodley about being a good host, and that's the final product that comes across on camera--so much apathy. He seems perfectly happy and content being 100% mediocre. (I just don't believe for a second that Drew doesn't realize there at least parts of his hosting that could be vastly improved. I think he's aware he could do better, but what he does do is enough to get by, so why put forth any more effort than that.) What I'm saying is that he could easily improve his hosting skills with a minimal amount of effort, but apparently, he's not even willing to do that much.

To the latter points in this statement, I agree -- don't worry about that. But doncha think there's just a hint of arrogance there when he can't see that he may need to improve certain aspects of his hosting. As long as he gets so much as a D-minus, he's passed the test, placed it on the refrigerator for all to see ... and that's all that matters to him. "And I owe it ALL to God!" Just like Bart Simpson yon years ago.

You don't seriously think I'd say the man should be paid $0 do you? Geez, I'd like to think my posting history reflects a bit more thought and reflection than that! I don't think his work commands more than $1.5 million per season at most. That's just my own personal opinion. You asked; I answered.

I meant my question to be taken facetiously! :)

Brian

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2011, 07:28:25 PM »
Your statement implies that Drew doesn't want to fix the problem, and I was saying maybe it's more of a case that he doesn't think there's anything to be fixed. And maybe Mike and the others running the show either don't see it themselves, or they don't want to bring it up to him.
...Or they just don't care. The latter part of your point caused the retirement of Make Your Mark, in what I can only guess was a "short straw loses" contest with no short straws.

I just simply think that watching the show beforehand would help to figure out a simple game like That's Too Much!
It has been quite obvious that the show would rather not have LFATs as contestants, especially members of this site.
----
I have noticed that every time Fremantle has tried to (ahem) "make their mark" on a classic format, it has resulted in the fanbase justifiably complaining about why a solid format was changed to a mediocre one. This pattern has occurred so many times, one would think the company botches classic formats "for the lulz", as I believe the term goes.

(It should be quite obvious that I have no connections to Fremantle, as I would almost certainly have been fired by now.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:35:43 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline clemsonfight

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2011, 08:00:30 PM »
Drew usually says something like "You want the one that's just over the actual retail price of the car." I think that's more than adequate to indicate that there's only one correct choice up there.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2011, 01:22:31 AM »
I don't think Drew's explanation would make people think there's more than one right answer. The contestant would have to make some big leaps all on their own to get there. And in that case, the gameplay wouldn't make sense at all. Why not just always pick the last price. I don't Nedda was confused by Drew. I think she just made one of those knee-jerk mistakes that players (and people outside TPIR) often do. Her brain was concentrating on the thousands and not thinking of the other digits. So when she saw a 19-something correct price, she instantly thought 20-something was the next highest one. It didn't register immediately that there was a 19-something in the progression that was higher than the 19-something ARP.

Really I think under the circumstances a mistake like that is really easy to do, with the gap being so small. Had it been larger you probably would not have seen what happened, happen. That's just my two cents though take it how you will.

As for the rest......

Flip Flop I actually thought was hard today. I would have pegged it at being 9849. The 94 didn't seem right.

With regards to It's in the Bag, someone mentioned the price of the red bull being high, what about the pizza rolls? That really stuck out to me at $4.49. I don't really care for that type of stuff like I used to mind you, but.....that's still more expensive than I'd have thought.

While the Range Game setup may have been slightly evil, I was thinking the car was around $18,000 myself. Kinda cool how it was exactly that though.

On Cliffy, did anyone else think it could have been a $20-$25-$30 setup after the 2nd prize? I thought she had it.

The shoecase wasn't so bad, hey least the contestant liked the thing, as did the audience evidently. Plus it was won which helps lol. I would have overbid on the other showcase, wouldn't have had it as low as 22.

As an aside to that......during the credits all I could think of was booty shorts as bad as that sounds lol. Just saying.  :D

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2011, 04:33:07 AM »
Well...I didn't get to see every second of this show, but I can't help but point out a few things:

It's In The Bag was pure evil, but there's no way I'd pay $2+ for a pack of filler paper. Those pens were kind of cool. If I didn't use my laptop to take notes (Word has a built-in highlighter), I'd probably seek out those pens.

That's Too Much! was just weird. I think it took her a while to figure out that you have to stop when you see a retail price that is just over the actual retail price of the car. She assumed that because she'd found a price that was over and reasonably close that she had won.

The Race Game win was awesome. It's been a long while since we saw someone win on the first try! Looks like 0200A is dead.

Range Game was a massive fail because of the contestant, but I thought it was totally winnable. I knew he was doomed from the start when he tried to stop the Range Finder without using the red button.

I would've won an extra $500 on the last One-Bid, in addition to winning Cliff Hangers. I watch the show with my grandmother whenever I decide to watch, and she could not believe I got the iPod and headphones right on the nose.

I didn't hear any indications that there were any shoes left off the shoe wall in the Shoecase, so I find what they did today perfectly acceptable. I hope storage space is not an issue for the winner!

Speaking of storage space, there really wasn't too much offered today that you couldn't put in a dorm or use on campus. For a show that caters specifically to college students like the one we saw today, this should be one of the top priorities in prize planning. If I won something cool, I wouldn't want to have to wait until summer vacation to use the prize (I'm looking at you, oversized boat from the last college special).

The show was average, but it was still enjoyable.

Tyler

Thrilling Race Game Win!  What is  0200A?  I forgot.

Joe

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2011, 04:49:18 AM »

I agree,

Drew just does enough to 'Get By" on most days.  He is so used to comic improv, that he can't be consistent with game rules and explanations.  After three years, it's not going to get any better.

Joe