Author Topic: The Temptation Preservation Society  (Read 3266 times)

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
The Temptation Preservation Society
« on: December 03, 2006, 05:11:00 PM »
In the Field of 64 this week, I admitted that I have a secret man-crush on Temptation.  BUT, we don't see this game so much, mainly because of the large amount of time it takes to play.  So, I am proposing some staging changes to the game to help reduce the amount of time needed to play the game.  I think I may have mentioned some of these ideas on the boards before, but let's see if some fresh blood can lend their input...

Before I go on, please know that I LOVE Temptation as it is currently played.  BUT I also realize that it will soon never be played because of time restrictions.  So don't flame me too badly...

OK, here is how I would tweak things...

When the winning bidder comes on stage, they proceed between doors 2 and 3.  Bob points to door 3 and announces that they have a chance to win this...[cue Rich] "A new car!!!".

While the car is described, the Temptation Board is rolled out between doors 2 and 3.  

After the car is described, Bob turns the contestant towards door 2 and mentions that they could also win these prizes....Door 2 opens to reveal 4 small prizes (or the fishbowl!) on a platform, with the famous red pricetags attached or beneath each prize.  Bob then explains the rules, how each digit in the price will come from each of the prizes.

Bascially, the part of Temptation which takes so long is the constant wheeling out of prizes.  By having all 4 prizes revealed and describe en masse, there could be a savings.

Does this have potential?  I tend to be a traditionalist, but I also see something needs to be done to save this game.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: The Temptation Preservation Society
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 05:22:21 PM »
Just like you, I do like Temptation. I'm also a traditionalist as well. However, if your new reveal would be the only way Temptation would get to be played more than I'm all for it.

Personally, I thought it wasn't played much because it was hard to find prizes that matched the price of the car and only had two different digits. I might be wrong, though.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline GrandGame1440

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 05:43:42 PM »
Personally, I'd hate it if such a reveal were adopted.  The reveal is really the whole reason I love the game. Honestly, I'd rather it just continue to be played as much as it is now than go that route.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 06:29:39 PM »
I would dislike such a reveal because the wheeling out of the prizes makes the game unique, and the music associated with each prize.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline CrimsonViper

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 07:28:11 PM »
I could say that wheeling out the prizes raises the suspense and temptation of the prizes, like there's a bigger effect if a contestant suddenly sees a prize they really like and is tempted to take it...

... But then again, people rarely take the prizes these days and then they lose the game.  Such a pity.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 08:31:54 PM »
No no no.  No no no no no.  No.

If this is what it would take to get Temptation played more, it wouldn't be worth it.  I'd rather see Temptation less often, played the fun way, than to see it more often, but played less interestingly.  I mean, it's worth it for when we do see it, right?

And heck... we only see Shelly about four or five times a season.  If Tempty does that... then darn, but it'd still be fun those few times!