Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 8/26/2011  (Read 25126 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 8/26/2011
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 04:15:24 PM »
I really like the photo booth - both the prize and Manuela's presentation of it in the Showcase.

I thought it was cute how everyone gathered around it during the credits for pictures with Heli, she'll have a long lasting memory there to be sure.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »
Speaking of NOT, that setup was just bizarre today. Has "then" ever been 25 years or more in the past before? And second, you'd think it's hard because 5/6 products were $1.19 or less and the one that wasn't was a THEN, but the two "then"s also are products that don't exist anymore, so not sure what Mike was going for there.

I'm not sure about X-14, but Creamette still exists.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 06:00:17 PM »
A very strange show to be sure, as there were a couple of pieces that if you were a loyal fan made it interesting.  Otherwise, it was pretty boring.

I would have won 1/2 Off.  I don't know what the facination is with Box #4, but the money has been there more than any other box (18 compared to 14 for #14).

Flip Flop was a toss-up, as was That's Too Much.  At least it wasn't the second spot?

I don't know what Heli was doing or thinking throughout Now... Or Then.  Seemed like she jumped around randomly, and that spaghetti stuck out as a "then" from the beginning.

Russell couldn't properly move the slides in Line 'Em Up.  He was pulling on parts that don't move, and he too looked lost.

Beth played Bonkers really well, but I'm surprised that nobody is really that upset about her winning the game.  Her move was clearly after the buzzer and shouldn't have counted.  The rules as I understood them stated that if you make changes and then the buzzer sounds, you have a chance to push the plunger and see if those changes were correct.  Clearly the staff was under this impression as well, as there was a noticable delay after she pushed it the last time.  It puts Drew in a rough position, since he would have had to said immediately after the buzzer "that change doesn't count".  Since he didn't, the only possible outcome was to give her the win, but when the clock hit "0" the paddles were not in the correct position.

Recently when do they trips in the showcases using the screens, they have that same ballpit thing in front filled with what looks like tennis balls.  It confuses me every time when the trip has nothing to do with tennis.  Anybody know what they are going for with that design?

Heli looked at home on those motorcycles.

I too was surprised at the 25 year gap in Now or Then, anyone know what the longest back Then date was previous to this?

Longest I could find was 17 years.

And finally... CBS... Japan wasn't even mentioned in that cruise. Come on dudes, I don't think anyone would have complained to you if this aired on 4/11...

Better safe than sorry?

On that I thought it was kinda neat how the 4 corners were left at the end. Little different from the norm.

There have been designs and patterns set up for the last two years or so.  I prefer the "randomly eliminated" look over some pattern, but to each his own.

I thought Fiji (which if the recap is correct was the prize played for in Notty) was in Japan.

Fiji is an island in the South Pacific, located roughly 4,500 miles from Japan.

I really like the photo booth - both the prize and Manuela's presentation of it in the Showcase.

Me too.  I thought it was a prize that she had alot of fun with, but the pictures that she pulled out clearly were not taken at that time.

I'm not sure about X-14, but Creamette still exists.

Both are available new from Amazon, but people in the comments are complaining about being unable to find X-14 in stores anymore.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:04:58 PM by Flerbert419 »
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline spoon14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Straight outta Medellin!
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 07:05:02 PM »
Better safe than sorry?
I wonder if it's possible if different destination were originally mentioned in the cruise (as it may visit multiple ports), and they ended up editing the voice-over just to mention other destingation.

Me too.  I thought it was a prize that she had alot of fun with, but the pictures that she pulled out clearly were not taken at that time.
Yeah, but it was nice that with the camera moves I think we saw the screen at some point snapping photos. The show sometimes has unusual prizes that will just be an albatross for most contestants (like the coffee kiosk). The photo booth, in contrast, is a very cool unusual prize that I think lots of people would love to have.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 09:40:53 PM »
I wonder if it's possible if different destination were originally mentioned in the cruise (as it may visit multiple ports), and they ended up editing the voice-over just to mention other destingation.
They would have had a month to do this before its scheduled airdate.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline spoon14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Straight outta Medellin!
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 10:07:12 PM »
They would have had a month to do this before its scheduled airdate.
It's just a guess. Granted my guess might sound far-fetched. But pre-empting an episode for several month because it featured a trip to Japan when the copy didn't even mention Japan sounds pretty far-fetched as well. Perhaps the idea of editing never dawned on them prior to airing.

Offline CROCODlLE

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 09:05:51 PM »
Not a FANTASTIC episode to end the season. Definitely run-of-the-mill, but still fun.

THAT'S how you play Bonkers, even though it was a technical win. HURRAY TECHNICAL WINNERS!!!! XD

Heli was odd, but like someone mentioned, looked at home in her motorcycles. Now...or Then needs a SERIOUS, SERIOUS update. The color scheme makes it so difficult to see the pie-piece is lighted, they had to blink it to show she had it correct. Gathering for the photo with the photo machine was awesome. I would frame that on my wall for the rest of my life!

Chevlen was cool, but the laws of Price is Right is that you never know what you'll play, and sadly, he got That's Too Much.

Poor Metha. She was so traumatized by her wig, it messed up her bidding, and she couldn't make it on-stage. =(

I should have looked through the "Obvious Strategies" thread in the General Discussion board. Is aiming for 0 numbers a good strategy in Line 'Em Up? Minus the cluelessness of how to MOVE the numbers, I thought Russell was doing fine once it showed zero. Sadly, he didn't have the second number correct, which messed him up, but he was still very close.

Yay, end of Season 39. I still prefer the final episode of Season 38, when Drew walked out and waved along with the crew and Rich. I think they should have done that last week for the Back to School Special. I was hoping it would be a new tradition. Oh well.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 09:07:47 PM »
^I'm getting ready for the real airdate finale in 14 hours. How about you?
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline CROCODlLE

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 09:48:49 PM »
^I'm getting ready for the real airdate finale in 14 hours. How about you?

Oh, whoops. My mistake. ^_^;;;

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »
Awesome Bonkers win! Beth was in the process of making her guess, so I think it was fair to give her the win (even though they give contestants the benefit of the doubt, anyway).

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Heli
SHOW GRADE: 2