Author Topic: Car Options  (Read 1244 times)

Offline jackcrow1731

• In the Audience
Car Options
« on: March 11, 2014, 11:36:52 PM »
I was watching an old episode from 1983 and the prize at the end of the Golden Road was a very nice almost-23 thousand dollar Cadillac.  Among the options listed was something called "The Los Angeles (L.A.) group." Does anyone know exactly what that means?

Offline whewfan

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Car Options
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 05:44:12 AM »
And for that matter, what is "California emission?"

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 08:31:28 AM »
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=California+Emission

Due to smog concerns, California has higher standards for exhaust and whatnot than the rest of the country.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 05:12:04 PM »
First, in tandem with my question – posted earlier today – regarding cars offered during Golden Road from 1978-1983 and their prices (since they seemed lowball for a GR grand prize even adjusted for inflation), I'll suggest this particular Cadillac was offered early during the 1983-1984 season.

That said, I couldn't find any mention of an "L.A. Group" over on the oldcarbrochures.com website (where a whole bunch of classic car brochures are listed). My guess is this was a special trim-and-upholstery package, with special emblems, paint colors (unavailable anywhere else) and so forth, offered for just the Los Angeles market.

I say that as back in the day, Chrysler sometimes had regional specials for their more popular car models – cars painted a special color, special chrome trim/patterns, special seat upholstery and interior colors and other convenience features (unique, one-time items or those usually not available on that particular model). These were called such names as the "Western Special," "Ranch Special," "Texas Model," etc. (I realize some of those names may be made up, but you get the drift.)'

Brian