Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/4/2011  (Read 11769 times)

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
TPiR Recap - 10/4/2011
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:47:49 PM »
The Price is Right Recap - 10/4/2011

Episode #5682K
Aired: 10/4/2011; Tape Date 7/7/2011
Models: Amber Lancaster, Gwendolyn Osborne, Manuela Arbelaez
Drew Entrance: Door #2
Mic Handoff: Amber
First Four Contestant Seating: Mixed (1, 3, 4, 2)

First IUFB: iPad 2 (16GB 3G, Smart Cover; ARP: $668) (Gwendolyn)

MELISSA BRETT CAROLYN LATASHA WINNER
$675 $601 $699 $700 BRETT

Brett is playing Switcheroo for a Ram 1500 ST 4x2 Regular Cab. (3.7-litre V6 engine, 4spd automatic transmission, ST Popular Equipment Group, spray-in bedliner) (Manuela; Amber on items) The available numbers are 1, 3, 5, 6 and 9.

2 2 7 3 0 CAR
NUMBER RIGHT:
1 3 Six CF bulbs
9 0 19pc grill set
5 0 Foot massager
6 5 Design toaster

Second try:

2 2 7 6 0 CAR
NUMBER RIGHT:
3 3 Six CF bulbs
1 0 19pc grill set
5 0 Foot massager
9 5 Design toaster

2 2 7 6 0   $22,710
RESULT
WIPEOUT
3 3   $63
1 0   $50
5 0   $90
9 5   $35

Second IUFB: Pair of surfboards (ARP: $1,234) (Gwendolyn)

Melissa CHELSIE Carolyn Latasha WINNER
$876 $1000 $875 $1100 LATASHA

Latasha is playing Side by Side for a trip to Riviera Maya. (RT coach LA to Cancun, 6n all-inclusive Aventura Spa Palace, $1,500 resort credit) (Manuela)

58 40
ARP: $5,840
*WIN*

Third IUFB: Fire pit coffee table (ARP: $1,949) (Amber)

Melissa Chelsie Carolyn DIANA WINNER
$1200 $450 $800 $725 MELISSA

Melissa is playing Step Up.

FIRST ITEM Chair (Gwendolyn) $1,598 ---
SECOND ITEM Washer and dryer (Teal) (Manuela) $3,198 BAILOUT
*$500*
THIRD ITEM 2 pair of shoes (Raphael Young) (Manuela) $2,380 UGH...
LAST ITEM Margaritaville Tahiti Frozen Concoction Machine (Gwendolyn) $700  

Total won: *$5,296*

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Brett $668 1.00 N/A *$1,000!*
Latasha $7,074 85 15 *$1,000!*
Melissa $7,245 60* 95* OVER

Bonus/Tiebreaker...

Contestant Winnings Spin Result
Brett $1,668 60* *SHOWCASE*
Latasha $8,074 25  

How humiliating for Brett. He goes too slow on the bonus spin, so he has to re-spin with no bonus. I am not happy that he made the showcase anyway because on his first spin, he stopped at 10 without going around at least once. S&P said he had to have a full spin for the tiebreaker.

Fourth IUFB: 25pc flatware set (WMF; ARP: $720) (Manuela)

DARREN Chelsie Carolyn Diana WINNER
$650 $651
UGH!!!
$695 $750 CAROLYN

Carolyn, who finishes the First Four staggered sweep (2, 4, 1, 3), is playing Now.... or Then for The Dining Room Group of Doom. (Fiesta dinnerware, service for 8; ARP: $13,049) (Amber) The "then" date is December 1999.

3 Musketeers Fresh Express lettuce bag Ivory body wash
89¢ $1.29 $2.29
4) THEN 1) THEN 2) NOW
NOW
LOSS
NOW NOW
Baker's shredded coconut Breath Savers mints Pam cooking spray
$1.79 $1.89 $2.99
    3) NOW
    THEN

Fifth IUFB: Set if picnic totes (Picnic Time; ARP: $525) (Amber)

Darren Chelsie MARCY Diana WINNER
$500 $501 $600 $375 CHELSIE

Chelsie, the birthday girl, is playing Range Game for a Toyota Corolla LE sedan. (1.8-litre engine, 4spd automatic transmission) (Gwendolyn)

Range: 17900-18500
Choice: 18142-18292
ARP: $18,060 EVIL! EEEEEVILLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!

Sixth IUFB: Espresso machine (Cuadra; ARP: $1,980) (Gwendolyn)

Darren NICOLE Marcy Diana WINNER
$700 $675 $400 $495 DARREN

Darren, who has a Professor Price shirt, is playing 1 Right Price.

ITEM TAG ARP
Steam shower (MyBathUSA.com) (Manuela) $5,247
(Amber)
$5,247
LOSS
Dual-fuel retro range (Heartland) (Gwendolyn)   $8,470

Total won: *$13,717*

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Chelsie $525 85 STAY 85
Carolyn $720 1.00 N/A *$1,000!*
Darren $15,697 85 80 OVER

Bonus...

Contestant Winnings Spin Result
Carolyn $1,720 55 *SHOWCASE*

SHOWCASE ROUND
Carolyn has the honor...

SC1 - CAROLYN COOL AND HOT TRIP/CONVERTIBLE
BID: $35,500 Pair of winter coats (Burberry) (Amber and Manuela)
Tour of New England (RT coach LA to Boston, 8d tour of New England, various boutique inns) (Amber)
Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport convertible (2.0-litre engine, Convenience Package) (Manuela)
ARP: $34,774
DIFF: OVER
LOSS $1,720
SC2 - BRETT TWO-WHEEL TICKETS TO RIDE
(all Gwendolyn)
TRIP/MOTORCYCLE
BID: $18,975 The Fast and the Furious Super Bikes arcade game
Austin (RT coach LA to Austin TX, 6n suite InterContinental Stephen F. Austin, day training Fast Line Motorcycle School)
Moto Guzzi V7 Classic motorcycle
ARP: $28,450
DIFF: $9,475
*WIN* $30,118

Show Results: 2 out of 6 (1 bailout)
Total Winnings: $63,379

THIS RECAP IS PRODUCED SOLELY FOR GOLDEN-ROAD.NET
UNAUTHORIZED REPRODUCTION OR EXHIBITION IS PROHIBITED

PRODUCED BY KITCH

"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/4/2011
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:01:18 PM »
That's it... Roo is now the SP equivalent of Stack the Deck, except it's more contestant incompetence (and I have to say at this point Drew is a sizable factor of this) than hard setups that classifies it as more of an ordeal to watch than a PG. It is a miracle now anyone gets 2 or more right, never mind finish with that much.

I mean sure, the 1 again, but what really looked like $1x today afterafter the bulbs ($10.50 per Mike bulb, lol)? And yet Brett literally notices $10 on the grill makes no sense, but shrugs it off. What a goof, as he shows off later...

I can see how Melissa went wrong - I mean, most people would see that as just a chair - key word was vintage though. And then now you never know if crap is high or low (like Eazy last week). It was a good playing after the mistake.

Showdown 1 was simply a consequence of the following:
-Melissa clearly not knowing the go-around once rule when trying to finesse 1.00 from 15, then noticing 40 after getting 60 and woefully messing up again.
-Brett thinking lightning could strike twice, but again woefully way short of the magic touch. Always a risk-reward in this situation.

Mega Scott win, Drew was going to count 10 (I hope no one blames Drew for this, lol), and that would have changed the result.

NoT was hard again... but the last few playings now, everyone is thinking 0.xx items have to be THEN. And usually they're small candy, smaller than the ones I can get at the vending machine for $1.00 at school. This really is just stupid.

Mike, stop using Range Game for a car as a crutch. It's exactly the same as recycling car setups like A#, MoL, and now Roo as well today: it's annoying as hell.

I'm glad Darren knows at least a bit of classic history. I dunno if he was LFAT enough to win NoT or Range today, but he got a cupcake in ORP, so enjoy your sexed up Heartland...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:08:02 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 06:17:11 PM »
Wow, what a mishmash of a show today. Switcheroo was probably even worse than last week to watch, and the first showdown, while funny, was simply a bit sad the way it played out. It does stand out as perhaps the longest showdown I've ever seen though.

The one cool thing from this show was seeing someone with a Professor Price shirt get called down (how'd that one get past Mike?), and then get up on stage! There was no way anyone was ever going to lose One Right Price today, so he didn't get tested (if the one right price had been $8470, on the other hand...) but it made for a good moment nonetheless.

They really are just abusing Range Game for a car at this point. I'm also getting tired of Now or Then being purposely deceptive all the time, although it shouldn't have been lost on the candy bar. Candy bars were not 89 cents back then.

I'm amazed with all the deceptive setups we see on a daily basis that Step Up is usually pretty straightforward with Mike - that's a game Roger loved to be evil with.

Timings:
Switcheroo (5.5) - 5:09
Side By Side (3.5) - 2:48
Step Up (5.5) - 4:30
Now...or Then (5) - 4:21
Range Game (4) - 3:02
One Right Price (3.5) - 3:12
Total (27): 23:02

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:27:53 PM »
Kitch 1 right price was won not lost. Switcheroo shoulda been won and Step up, NoT, and range game weren't gonna be won.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure Bob's explanation of Switcheroo never included the phrase "Blah blah blah."  Drew's shouldn't, either.

The last time someone didn't get the Big Wheel all the way around in a bonus spin-off (which was almost nine years ago!), Bob forgot to have the contestant spin again to get a score for the spin-off, and we had a pretty heated debate here about whether or not that was right...a debate I distinctly remember Scott being on the "Bob did the right thing" side of.  That said, I was glad that they got it right today, and doubly glad to hear that Scott was the one telling Drew that Brett needed to spin again!

Drew, the products in Now....and Then are adjacent.  They do not adjoin any more than Wyoming adjoins with Colorado.

There wasn't much time to form an opinion of Darren, but I'd like to think he's an LFaT with that shirt. :)

Kitch, I think you have the wrong outcome in 1 Right Price...
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 06:55:31 PM »
Latasha is from NC, too? Man... we've had a lot of people on the show lately!

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Latasha
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline Shaymin

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • May we have some decorum here, please?
    • Nintendo Free Radio
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 07:25:26 PM »
I heard Drew got a decent line after the first IUFB, but some New England flooding wiped it out for me (same with IUFB #5). Switcheroo was just a mess, though.

Rule clarification question: If Brett had happened to spin a dollar on his 2nd spinoff attempt, would he have just gotten to the Showcase and no more money?

Where the hell are they shopping that a dining room set is $13k? Probably the same place you find an $8400 range.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 07:35:58 PM »
Range: 17900-18500
Choice: 18142-18292
ARP: $18,060 EVIL! EEEEEVILLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!
Hey Mike, this isn't Range Game.

Rule clarification question: If Brett had happened to spin a dollar on his 2nd spinoff attempt, would he have just gotten to the Showcase and no more money?
Correct.  No more monies are awarded after a bonus spin, whether it is failed or a second spin-off.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 07:41:53 PM »
Switcheroo was painful to watch as usual, but I'm glad they've gone back to waiting to reveal the game after the SPs. Now they need to bring back the SP pan.

Do not say "Riviera Maya" when you can just say Cancun. I have the same beef about that trip to Greece in the FRATs yesterday.

My, I never thought I'd see a boo bonus spin-off spin. Love looking at those people on PIR.com yelling at how it's unfair.  :lol:

Range Game for cars is just getting annoying.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 07:43:10 PM »
Drew, the products in Now....and Then are adjacent.  They do not adjoin any more than Wyoming adjoins with Colorado.
Unless I'm getting my definitions wrong, adjacent means next to and adjoining means connecting.  Does that mean the problem with Drew's statement is the fact that products don't physically touch each other?  It might be the Wyoming-Colorado example that is part of my confusion.

My, I never thought I'd see a boo bonus spin-off spin. Love looking at those people on PIR.com yelling at how it's unfair.  :lol:
What part do they say is unfair?  Getting another spin?  The spin not counting?

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 08:29:54 PM »
Most think he should've been disqualified; mainly because they don't know the rules.

They should know it's always been a rule. Bob made it an effort to say so before every bonus spin. Drew only occasionally mentions the rule which is I think why the pir.com users reacted that way.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 08:34:23 PM »
On days like these, I wish Bob would've still been hosting the show.  He probably would've went ballistic in the 1st Showcase Showdown, with 3 spins not getting a full revolution.  Drew never encourages the audience to boo like Bob did.

I thought Step Up was surprisingly easy.  I would've won the whole thing.

That was awesome to see Darren wearing a "Professor Price" T-shirt; he had to have been a LFaT.  I'm surprised Drew knew it was only played twice (maybe asked someone during the previous commercial?).
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 08:39:57 PM »
Unless I'm getting my definitions wrong, adjacent means next to and adjoining means connecting.  Does that mean the problem with Drew's statement is the fact that products don't physically touch each other?  It might be the Wyoming-Colorado example that is part of my confusion.

No, you're right...it's pretty damn embarrassing to get a word's meaning wrong, especially when dealing with Drew, who isn't exactly a master orator, but that's what I did here.  It's not how I would have phrased things, but it's not wrong, either.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 09:00:23 PM »
Wow...that trip display in Side By Side with just the one LCD screen was pretty weak. I don't want to turn this into a "trip skins are better" deal, but, they should have had two monitors behind the door to show off that prize.

Brett kind of grated on my nerves...but, then again, I find it kind of irritating when contestants try to "finesse" the wheel...just spin it. Bravo to Scott for pointing out the correct rules in the showdown, though. As you may recall, the last time this happened, Bob just kicked the contestant off the stage and didn't even bother with a do-over spin.  At least Drew was more personable about it this time.

The Professor Price shirt was cool. Kudos to Drew to point out on the air that the game was only played twice before being retired, though, I'm sure someone informed him about it during one the breaks, but still, cool that he brought it up. I can only imagine what Bob's reaction to a shirt like that would have been.