Author Topic: 2011 Halloween Opening ("FIRST FOUR" SPOILERS)  (Read 5614 times)

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
2011 Halloween Opening ("FIRST FOUR" SPOILERS)
« on: October 27, 2011, 05:01:27 PM »
Posted by CBS itself, the opening to this year's Halloween special...or what Price would have probably been like had it actually embraced the 1970s "style" back then instead of mostly ignoring it (although I really cannot see Barker in bell-bottoms).

One wonders if they took some inspiration from that MadTV "1977 episode" spoof some years back.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: 2011 Halloween Opening ("FIRST FOUR" SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 05:10:28 PM »
The girders that flank door #2 remind me of the 1986 specials.  Also, even though it's not the same piece, the theme song sounds like the cover by the Hill Valley Preservation Society.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 05:17:17 PM »
Oh...my...God. This could either be really, really good...or really, really bad.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 05:54:44 PM »
The one thing that I will say is that I really dislike the choreographed dance piece.

Also, that they have yet to mention the term "Halloween" up to this point does not bode well for the rest of the show.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 06:16:22 PM »
I love the remix. A lot. Probably the best thing of the entire thing we've seen based on this.

I don't like the fact that the dance  was obviously choreographed. I wouldn't have minded it so much if it were a 15 second spontaneous dance, but a 30-45 second choreographed one rubs me the wrong way.

At the end of the day, besides that intro, it doesn't appear like it'll be a terrible episode in and of itself, I just think it won't be a good Halloween episode. If there were ever a need for a "Salute to Disco" or something like that, then I'd feel better about it. For me personally, the halloween special that worked best simply worked with varied costumes, not necessarily a theme to them.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Online Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 06:34:56 PM »
Like Todd, I still say the jury's still out... this can swing either way extremely.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Online Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 06:38:48 PM »
I guess I'll be surprised, since I can't watch the video here in Canada.  :roll:
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 07:04:38 PM »
what Price would have probably been like had it actually embraced the 1970s "style" back then instead of mostly ignoring it

The Goodson-Todman flowery asterisks, the font of the logo (particularly the use of lower case for the first letters in the words) and the 1972 and 1975 studio color schemes were very much in the '70's style. I have a wall hanging, circa 1976, that looks very much like the turntable design with the concentric color bands.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »
Also, that they have yet to mention the term "Halloween" up to this point does not bode well for the rest of the show.

Heck, they didn't mention "April Fools" on the April 1st 2011 Episode :oldlol:
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 07:39:53 PM »
I don't get what this (just like last year's episode) has anything to do with Halloween...

I agree that it might be hit or miss...though based on this season as a whole thus far, I'm leaning towards "miss". This seems...well, gimmicky.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 08:11:55 PM »
Heck, they didn't mention "April Fools" on the April 1st 2011 Episode :oldlol:

It was actually the last words Drew said.

I realize it was only the opening, but unless you are hiding it from somebody (like April Fools), the holiday really should be mentioned in the beginning.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 11:04:24 PM »
It's sort of awkward to see how "The Price is Right" would've looked in the 70's... when it was actually around in the 70's and looked nothing like this. Still, looks like a fun show.

Also seems that it will be the first show in over 12 years to not reference the "Bob Barker Studio" in the intro.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 11:30:01 PM »
I'm surprised no one mentioned an odd WIN in my eyes....the carpet on the Turntable is freaking brown (well really red with a splash of brown). That theme and Come on Down seem like something I'd hear on an international version. It was interesting.

This can be something....what kind of something, has yet to be seen. I hope they use some old cues, that would really make my day.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 03:11:12 AM »
The Goodson-Todman flowery asterisks, the font of the logo (particularly the use of lower case for the first letters in the words) and the 1972 and 1975 studio color schemes were very much in the '70's style. I have a wall hanging, circa 1976, that looks very much like the turntable design with the concentric color bands.
I was referring more to the music, disco balls, phraseology, etc. (Clothing, with the exception of the on-stage personnel, was definitely happening back then.)

I don't get what this (just like last year's episode) has anything to do with Halloween...
Halloween is a time for costumes, hence last year's special. Since this is Season 40, I cannot think of a better day to salute the New show's debut decade than this one.

I'm surprised no one mentioned an odd WIN in my eyes....the carpet on the Turntable is freaking brown (well really red with a splash of brown).
Ah, yes...the 1972-ish shag carpeting.

The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 03:44:44 AM »
Is it just me, or did George Gray sound extremely similar to Johnny Olson there? Talk about a blast from the past!