Author Topic: What on a game show scared you as a child?  (Read 35165 times)

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: What on a game show scared you as a child?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »
The "round over" sound effect from Jeopardy

This one. Really hard. No other sound effect ever scared me nearly as much as this one growing up. Still doesn't stop me from thinking Jeopardy's the greatest game show on right now, though.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 04:10:56 PM »
Gene Rayburn's hair used to scare me. Yep that's right! His hair!
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 04:40:19 PM »
There wasn't anything on a game show that scared me as a child. Mainly because it was the late 50s to early 60s when I was a child and the shows were pretty failsafe. But a couple of things made me tense up a bit: the contestant tracing the hidden object on Camouflage, and on the nighttime Price Is Right (provided mom and dad let me stay up to see it) two unfrozen bidders approaching $10,000 bids (the daytime show never approached $10,000 bids).
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 06:49:31 PM »
The "Time's up" buzzer on Jeopardy! and to a lesser extent, the "Time's running out" on Wheel of Fortune

Offline RJSchex

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 06:59:15 PM »
We have to go back quite a ways for this one:

The opening theme music on "Gambit", as well as the show's title zooming in from nowhere, flashing as it goes.

Offline DaneFromKansas

• In the Audience
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 08:32:57 PM »
The Penny Ante sound effect from TPiR.  Ironically, it later became one of my favorite games, and I even had an avatar pic of it on here for a while.  Also, the clangs and whoops from a DSW, although never from any other time they used it, oddly enough.  I'm sure there was probably at least one other thing, but my memory is a bit fuzzy (too tired to think straight)

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 08:38:11 PM »
I'd love to know why we are this far into the thread and nobody has mentioned the Whammy....
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 09:38:03 PM »
I'd love to know why we are this far into the thread and nobody has mentioned the Whammy....

The Whammies never scared me, I loved them!  Anyway, I too was scared of the TPIR clangs and whoops growing up
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline noobslayer88

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 11:41:05 PM »
Olmec from Legends of the Hidden Temple.
Noobslayer88: a proud member of the "For Shiggles QSW" club. (6/12/09)

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 12:08:30 AM »
What always scared me was the Starcrossed cue used in Credit Card.  That, and the entire Credit Card set.  I literally used to hide whenever I would hear that cue played.

I also found the opening to Bob's first show (when watching the 25th anniversary show) to be scary.  Now that I think about it, I think the reason was because the audio was out of sync, and so it sounded like someone was being attacked.  It also looked very bizarre to see the "New" on the doors, the brown set, and Bob with dark hair, when I had grown up with the show in its current format since around 1988.  (I used to watch that anniversary show at least once a month, but I would always either mute it or fast forward it when they showed Bob's first entrance).
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline pete1974

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 01:37:52 AM »
The violent way the trilons would flip around on the 70s era. "Pyramid".  That and the players (appearing to) maul each other after a win.

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 01:40:20 AM »
Another thing that scared me was all those characters on Think Fast acting all crazy and stuff.

Offline lucyrickyalex

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 03:57:48 PM »
The "time's-up" horn from Millionaire

DO NOT use that as your computer's "shut down" sound effect, especially if you leave your computer on 24/7 and have the speakers turned up.  I can not count the times that I was fast asleep and my computer, for some reason, decided it needed to restart.

It made me go "Who? Wa? WHAT THE [VERY LONG STREAM OF PROFANITY] WAS THAT????!!!?!?!?!?!"

Every. Freaking. Time.
"But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."
-Conan O'Brien

Offline WadeSimPrice

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 04:08:27 PM »
Dennis James scared me when I was young.  I liked Bob then, but not Dennis.
Jebediah, Ezekiel, Frank, Bob: The Barkers (I think Bill Cullen is in there somewhere.)

Offline pete1974

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 04:17:14 PM »
DO NOT use that as your computer's "shut down" sound effect, especially if you leave your computer on 24/7 and have the speakers turned up.  I can not count the times that I was fast asleep and my computer, for some reason, decided it needed to restart.

It made me go "Who? Wa? WHAT THE [VERY LONG STREAM OF PROFANITY] WAS THAT????!!!?!?!?!?!"

Every. Freaking. Time.

Well don't leave your computer on 24/7 and that won't happen :-D