Author Topic: What on a game show scared you as a child?  (Read 34961 times)

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: What on a game show scared you as a child?
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »
I don't know if I had replied before, but since this has been bumped:

* The show where they broke lights and began damaging the set. Apparently (as I found out years later) I was 4 years old at the time and watching the last episode of the Bob Eubanks-hosted "Rhyme and Reason" on ABC.

* The dragon's roar on "Tic Tac Dough." Just was harsh and primitive. Today, not so scary, although I can see where it still might be jarring. I guess it's the "sudden death"-type ending.

Brian

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2017, 07:46:29 PM »
For some reason, I still get a chill when they announce during the closing credits that one of the contestants was found to be ineligible and will not receive their prizes.

Found this example of an ineligible contestant playing her pricing game, and the announcement at the end of the show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOLocnTlRpk
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Cliffhangers491

• In the Audience
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2017, 12:22:43 AM »
Funnily enough, Cliffhangers scared me as a kid, regardless of whether Hans "survived" or not.
Love it. Live it. Learn it. Savor the flavor!

Offline Johnnya2k4

• Walking the Golden Road
    • The AllenBlog
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2017, 11:25:36 PM »
Then there was also:

The "time's up" bell from Face The Music (which screams "Fire drill!")
The sound effect from Play The Percentages if a 0 appears in the bonus round (later used on Break The Bank if "WRONG CODE" appears after a Bank Card is inserted)
Whenever Door #4 appears on All-New LMAD (with the camera zooming in and out).

But what about when a Secret Square is picked on Hollywood Squares (Marshall, Davidson, or Bergeron)?

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2017, 12:47:49 PM »
The words "Face the Music" alone give me a chill because it reminds me of the scene in Kingpin where Ernie McCracken sets up Roy Munson to get jumped and have his hand shoved into a ball return. 

Offline RJSchex

« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2017, 09:03:28 PM »
I wasn't a kid at the time, but I remember a game show moment that was quite creepy.
On the syndicated Combs version of Family Feud, I can remember a few times during the Fast Money round, a low-voiced judge interrupting "We need a more specific answer for this next question".

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2017, 11:58:48 AM »
The "erooooo" on Pathfinder gave me the heebie-jeebies for a few years when I was little.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline Plinkomatic

• In Contestant's Row
  • AKA The One Who No One Gets
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2017, 05:14:25 PM »
I remember when I first saw the current LMAD and heard the Zonk sound for the first time. Scared the hell out of me.
You're going to play PLINKOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For a chance to win up to fifty THOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND dollars!

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2017, 03:09:59 PM »

Wow.
Just...wow.

Some of you must have had really bizarre childhoods.

I've always loved game shows, and there was nothing that "scared" or "frightened" me about them. Then again, none of the other "terrifying" things people claim scared them -- like movie production company logos and sounders -- scared me, either.

I've never really understood this stuff.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2017, 09:23:46 PM »
It was on 3 Strikes - when the camera would pan to the digit that the contestant mentions, and the Buzzer/"NO" appeared!

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2017, 11:30:40 PM »
The snap zoom used showing the space the contestant chose where they thought the selected number went was a bit jarring.  It was to me back when I was a kid, and that was before the red "NO" graphic on the black background.   The old buzzer (from the late 70s/early 80s) was scary enough.  Though it wasn't quite as bad as the one used in the early episodes of Double Dare when time ran out on a physical challenge. 

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2017, 07:39:59 AM »
Some of you must have had really bizarre childhoods.
I've never really understood this stuff.

Having an abnormal reaction to certain sensations (sights, sounds, etc.) is a very common symptom of autistic spectrum disorders.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2017, 07:25:58 PM »
Having an abnormal reaction to certain sensations (sights, sounds, etc.) is a very common symptom of autistic spectrum disorders.

Fair enough. I guess it hadn't occurred to me there were so many affected by the condition within this group that this thread would run 6 pages. I guess I was expecting a much smaller percentage.

It's very interesting to learn how widespread the condition apparently is.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline GardenGrill202

• Outside in Line
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2017, 12:55:21 PM »
By the way, the event Toonami did that messed up Wheel for me was called "Trapped in Hyperspace" and it is on YouTube.

Offline PIRfanSince72

« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
I just now recalled a specific incident from "Treasure Hunt" back in the early 1970s.  One of the skits involved a cat-burglar and seeing that on TV left me unnerved.  My poor Dad had to spend several minutes reassuring me that it was only an act, and not a real thief!

The Unknown Comic on "The Gong Show" always left me feeling rather uneasy too.  Not necessarily scared, but very uneasy.  Then again the entire program had that affect on me.