Author Topic: How come you don't see pets up for adoption during the IUFB's?  (Read 12252 times)

Offline Estil

• In the Audience
How come you don't see pets up for adoption during the IUFB's?
« on: November 20, 2011, 11:21:21 AM »
Remember how during the Barker Administration you often saw (I guess around once or twice a week or so?) during a IUFB an animal or two from a local animal shelter looking for a good home, and then Bob would remind everyone how if you don't live out [in the LA area], you can find a nice friend like that at a shelter near your home.  And they were very touching moments indeed.  Though she didn't come from a shelter, last year me and my wife adopted our little girl Tweetie the Cat, and Bob will be very pleased to know that she is spayed! :-D  Let's just say as far as I'm concerned, a dog CAT is this man's best friend! :-D

Anyhoo, how come Drew doesn't do that anymore?  I think he featured a few dogs in a showcase recently but that's not quite the same.  I mean he did continue Bob's "have your pets spayed or neutered tradition" so why continue the tradition of featuring local area pets up for adoption?

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
Re: How come you don't see pets up for adoption during the IUFB's?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 11:29:55 AM »
I think it was because pet adoption segments was more of a Bob Barker thing than a TPIR thing.  (Then again, so was "Have your pets spayed or neutered".)

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 11:33:54 AM »
Sometimes I think Drew is just going through the motions even with the "spay and neuter" line, so it could be he's just not into the adoption segment as Bob was, and prefers not to do it.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:18:23 PM »
Could it be also that it takes valuable time away from the show?  (Setting aside the fact that it just may be a preference of the new regime to not do it...)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 02:39:41 PM »
Could it be also that it takes valuable time away from the show?  (Setting aside the fact that it just may be a preference of the new regime to not do it...)

Well, that valuable time is now used for guest spots and unnecessary camera shots.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 02:47:20 PM »
Sometimes I think Drew is just going through the motions even with the "spay and neuter" line, so it could be he's just not into the adoption segment as Bob was, and prefers not to do it.

I know there have been times when Drew has the spay and neuter plug, he has gotten more into why you have them spayed or neutered saying that if you don't, the pets could end up in a shelter and never find a nice home.  Or something along those lines. But I believe he did promise bob he would keep the plug going.   Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 03:26:01 PM »
But I believe he did promise bob he would keep the plug going.   Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Either that, or Bob asked if he would continue to say that at the end of each show. I remember hearing about that when Drew first took over.

As for the original question, why don't they have pet adoption segments?

I think it's a combination of a few things. First, since Bob is big into animal rights, that was something he'd definitely have on the show. Now that he's gone, and almost all of the big names who worked behind the scenes on the show with Bob are too, the new regime doesn't find it necessary to continue those. Also, the new direction of the show would rather use that 30 seconds to fill the showcases with tapdancing, some band 99% of people have never heard of, or a guest star who might or might not act as if he/she would rather be elsewhere. Not having pet adoptions isn't a huge deal to me, though I do miss them. I totally understand them trying to fill the time with other things now and the reasons why they do, but I'm just not a fan of much of what I've seen. It was certainly nice to see that adoption showcase the other day, though.

Online Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 03:49:12 PM »
Suppose for a second that the pet adoption segments never existed on the show, and was something that the new regime (Mike and Drew) had brought in.

Wouldn't it be something that we would be complaining about, since there is no logical connection between animals and the show?  Isn't this more of a "variety" show item than a "game show" item?

As far as the OP's question, this was clearly a Bob tradition that is no longer followed.  

There is also meat on the grills and foreign cars offered, so many of Bob's preferences have disappeared.

Carlos, how often would you estimate this occurred during the show?  I would say once every three weeks, but I'm interested in what you think.

Either that, or Bob asked if he would continue to say that at the end of each show. I remember hearing about that when Drew first took over.

I'm 99% sure that Drew asked Bob if he could continue saying the line, and Bob accepted.  
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »
I'm 99% sure that Drew asked Bob if he could continue saying the line, and Bob accepted.

I believe this is true.  It was mentioned during Bob's visit to the show, or in an interview around that time, and Drew deferred to Bob at the end of that episode as well (much to the delight of the audience).

Cyclone

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 06:22:06 PM »
Suppose for a second that the pet adoption segments never existed on the show, and was something that the new regime (Mike and Drew) had brought in.

Wouldn't it be something that we would be complaining about, since there is no logical connection between animals and the show?  Isn't this more of a "variety" show item than a "game show" item?
I think the problem with the new regime is that they can't properly present anything.  A good presentation needs to be short, involve interaction, and have a purpose.  Something like the pet adoption segment with Bob was for a good cause, and it was short enough to not completely take away from the track of the show.

I wouldn't have minded those house bands like Dollyrots and Lonestar if Drew had actually interacted with them and/or there was a purpose for them on the show.  Instead, Drew would just go crazy and repeatedly yell "It's the Dollyrots!  It's the Dollyrots!" and give zero explanation as to who they even are or why they are there on the show.  I also wouldn't have minded that breast cancer awareness recognition if they did a quick spot of it, and move on.  Instead, we get a whole special, with Drew reminding us every 5 minutes with something along the lines of "Hey, it's Breast Cancer Awareness Month!"  Reminding people to the point of nausea is not going to make people more interested in the cause; if anything, it's going to make more people switch the channel.

So, would we have complained about it?  If it was done like it was during the Bob era, we would've welcomed it.  But, if it would be anything like the above two examples, you're damn right we would complain about it.  And I bet if we get some kind of pet adoption special in the future, we're gonna hear complaints about that as well.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 09:28:33 PM »
Carlos, how often would you estimate this occurred during the show?  I would say once every three weeks, but I'm interested in what you think.

I actually started writing that down about halfway through my record-keeping I did for each episode. Those notebooks are at my parents' house right now, but I'll be there for Thanksgiving, and I'll bring those back home with me and look through a few seasons and see how often it was done. I know I'll be able to figure it out fairly quickly, because out to the side of each IUFB where an adoption segment was presented, I'd write "dog" (or "cat" or "rabbit") in the margin. After a while, I even started to record each animal's name as well. (Yes, I'm too detail-oriented sometimes, I know.  :P). A rough guess for right now would be about every week or two. It seemed to get more frequent in Bob's later years on the show, but that's just a guess. I will be happy to go back and look, though.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 09:34:55 PM »

I would say no. Only because most of the variety elements that we've seen are just for entertainment purposes. That was actually supporting a nice cause. I don't think we could complain about this the same way we could Lone Star, Rain, 365 Pairs of Shoes, or Jack Wagner because they were there....just because.

I mean knock the upcoming celebrity week all you want, at least they're helping someone.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 11:53:27 PM »

At least at the end of Bob's reign, they were being done on every Tuesday taping.

I also wouldn't have minded that breast cancer awareness recognition if they did a quick spot of it, and move on.

It would have been so easy to do something related to the show, too...Rod had breast cancer, so they could have related it to him somehow.

I mean knock the upcoming celebrity week all you want, at least they're helping someone.

Well, four of them are, anyway!
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 05:41:55 PM »
I couldn't care less whether they had pets at IUFB or not in the drew era. Barker era they used to have it all the time.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 06:26:49 PM »
I believe this is true.  It was mentioned during Bob's visit to the show, or in an interview around that time, and Drew deferred to Bob at the end of that episode as well (much to the delight of the audience).

Cyclone

Yes, after the showcases on the day Bob made the appearance, Drew did have Bob take over to do the plug and the audience went into an uproar.