Author Topic: Double Dare (DD) Obstacle Course: Easiest DD Obstacle? HARDEST DD Obstacle?  (Read 9977 times)

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
You guys can include the Double Dare 2000 obstacle courses if you wish.  Which ones are easy?  Which ones are so hard you hate it?

For me: Easiest: The Tank, In One Ear

Hardest: Time's Running Out.  The Shark!  Footlocker.  Pick It/DA NOSE, Sundae Slide/Just Desserts.

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
For me: Easiest: The Tank, In One Ear
Hardest: Time's Running Out.  The Shark!  Footlocker.  Pick It/DA NOSE, Sundae Slide/Just Desserts.
I would say that is good but add to the hardest the trash truck also on DD 2000 the big computer people never stomped down hard to make the flag light up and take out the Sunday slide because if you did not put your feet in the goop they you could be golden on that.
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
Easiest: Sundae Slide (the 1992 FDD version), Gak Geyser, In One Ear, The Tank, Big Bowl

Hardest: They all can be described right here: http://gsgarbage.clw83.com/badddobstacles.html

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
My favorite was the tank, the hamster wheel, and the Empire state building.

The worst was the Sundae slide, Pick the nose, and the worst ever, The Ant Farm

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
Easiest: Down the Hatch, The Blimp, and The Tank

Hardest: Blue Plate Special, Human Hamster Wheel, The Pipeline

Online Alfonzo

• Director
Easiest: The Recipe Tire Run, Desert Trike, Blue Plate Special (Peanut Butter and Jelly), Umpire State Building.

Hardest: Pick It, Garbage Truck, Footlocker, Inside Out.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
I always found the "dig through the pile of crap and find the flag" obstacles the hardest, while the "go from Point A to Point B" ones the easiest. :D
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline AndrewRMora

• In Contestant's Row
Easiest: The Tank.
Hardest: Pick It.
TITLE    PRICE IS RIGHT
PROD.    #273N
AIR    T.B.A
VTR    8-15-79
PICKUP        TAKE 1

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
I have nothing but contempt and four-letter-words reserved for Sewer Chute. I recall multiple instances where the flag got stuck at the top of the obstacle and couldn't even be retrieved; at least once it stuck to a wall. There's a reason it got retired.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
I agree seth. I think I recall once with the sewer chute when someone pulled on the rope and the flag got caught and marc just pounded on the window and told the contestant to move on.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: Double Dare (DD) Obstacle Course: Easiest DD Obstacle? HARDEST DD Obstacle?
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 05:54:02 PM »
Also, sometimes, the contestant took too long looking for it, Marc had to tell them to continue on, wasting valuable time.  Heck, as rodroddyfan said, once, the flag got stuck on the contestant's helmet and Marc had to bang on the window to tell her to go down the chute, but she didn't understand what he was trying to say, and that ate up a lot of time.  They kept the Sewer Chute until the move to Florida.

Easiest: Drawbridge, Drumroll, The Tank, Suspension Bridge, Slime Canal, Low Hurdles, Moonwalk, Das Blimp, In One Ear, Umpire State Building, and Typewriter.  Each were very quick to negotiate and had a straightforward objective that could buy the contestants time.

I'd say some of the hardest were:

Garbage Truck: As Robert Seidelman pointed out, when they used yellow or orange gak in 1992, it made the flag impossible to find sometimes, and tripped up quite a few course runs.

Volcano: Its previous incarnation, Mount Saint Double Dare, was relatively easy, just climb to the top of the center mountain  to reach the flag, and being careful not to slip on the lava gak.  But this one, to make it more challenging, they hid the flag inside one of three volcanoes.  Ideally, this should have been something like Soda Jerk, but the flag blended in with the color of the lava gak, or it was quite deep inside, making contestants reach way down before they could find it.

Bridging the Gap (original Drawbridge): The wire or whatever held the door to the arched structure was so tense, that it was impossible for kids to push it down and get across.  Thankfully, they replaced the wire with a chain or a looser wire to make it probably the easiest obstacle ever on the program.

Wrestle-rama:  The dads on Family Double Dare had no problem with this obstacle, but for shorter players, it was almost impossible to climb up the wrestler to grab the flag.  There was even one occasion where a kid contestant accidentally jumped into the ring instead of his father.  Marc let the kid do the obstacle so that no time would be wasted in getting him out and getting his dad in.  However, the kid took a good 20 seconds or more trying to grab the flag before Robin went in to give him a boost.

Inside Out:  The Super Sloppy version of Inside Out was later improved by the time they moved to Florida; Marc said that out of the forest of balloons, you could see which one had the flag, and they just had to pick it out to pop it.  Family Double Dare's version was worse.  There were about seven opaque balloons and only one had the orange numbered flag.  The contestants had a hard time popping even one balloon (I think the contestants were given a popping tool later on), and once, the wrong flag was found, but they didn't realize until later in the course that there was a mistake and they had to return to Inside Out, eating lots of time (Nick GaS didn't rerun this episode for some reason).

Pick-It: So many course runs were halted when contestants tried to find the flag, but couldn't.

Doggie Door: It was easy to spot the flag in the dog food when it was on Double Dare and Super Sloppy Double Dare, but when they made the dog food look like cocoa puffs in Family Double Dare, it was more difficult to find, and halted quite a few families from going on.

The Gak Factory: In Double Dare 2000, I think they originally had to wait for a handle to come their way before it could slowly take them across the obstacle to the other side, eating up lots of time if they missed it.  Later, they had the contestant already at the obstacle and he would negotiate it when the previous contestant found the flag on their obstacle (similar to Gum Drop when it wasn't #1), which made it a bit easier.

Test Your Strength: Most of the time, it didn't work, and Marc only told them to go on after maybe the third attempt because too much time was wasted.

Mirror Maze: This is one of my favorite obstacles because it's challenging to try and orient yourself as you see many reflections, while trying to find the flag and get out of the maze.  Later in Family Double Dare, they made a fairly challenging obstacle too challenging when they tried to hide the flag underneath objects like snakes and flies, which meant that the contestant had to spend a lot of time in the maze searching every object before the flag was found.

Buried Treasure:  Originally, this was probably the hardest obstacle of all, as it was just a sandbox and the flag could be anywhere inside it.  Thankfully, they put inflatable trees, snakes, and other objects and Marc noted that the flag was underneath one of them.

Shark!: The flag was deep inside the shark's mouth and blended in with other objects, making it hard to find.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:02:18 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 10:07:09 PM »
Another obstacle I found hard and it's on the list of worst Double Dare obstacles on Game Show Garbage is Click It from Double Dare 2000. It was a reincarnation of the easier Typewriter.

And the reason I chose the One Ton Human Hamster Wheel as the hardest: sometimes the contestant would have some gak on the shoes and it makes it slippery and difficult for them to traverse the obstacle.

Another easy obstacle is the Gumball Machine.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 01:32:39 AM »
By Super Sloppy Double Dare, they made the Hamster Wheel easier to negotiate; it took about 7-8 seconds instead of 10-12.  They added more indicators on the wheel or something to make the numbers light up faster.

Gum Drop was almost always the first obstacle on a course, with the exception of the one where all obstacles were named "Harvey."  That was the only time in the original DD Gum Drop wasn't #1 (it was #2 that day), it took like 15 seconds to do the obstacle, because it took a while for the contestant to climb the ladder.  In Double Dare 2000, they worked around this time issue by having the person already on top of the ladder and when the previous obstacle's flag was grabbed, that was the signal to jump down.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 11:00:31 AM »
Certainly it helped when they stopped necessitating having one player insert the oversized quarter in the gumball machine slot to start the game; that ate up a bit of time in its own right.  I recall that similarly on a least one occasion, the contestant was necessitated to brush the Down the Hatch teeth before opening them up and diving through; this was VERY quickly ended and returned to just going straight down the chute. 

Offline IncoG5nito

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 01:09:26 AM »
I remember lots of obstacles that were easy, but these were the absolute hardest IMHO:

Garbage Truck took a lot of time initially because you had to pull the handle to activate the bucket, which then took FOREVER to come over the top and dump its contents.

Pick-It - I think I saw more obstacle courses lost on this one obstacle than any of the others combined.

Sushi, Dallas, etc. - if they had four tubes set up, you could pretty much kiss your chances goodbye.

Inside Out - when they changed it to 20 or so balloons... I don't remember Marc saying they made it easier; I always thought they had the different colored flags by this point.

Sewer Chute - they originally had it set up backwards where you had to climb a ladder to the top and climb back down into the chute first... they usually made it the first obstacle and let the runner go to the top before starting the clock, but there were a couple of episodes where it was not (maybe early ones?)

Lube Job seemed to trip up more than a few contestants as well.

@goldenroadfanatic: I don't remember them making the Hamster Wheel easier to work, and it ALWAYS had six numbers, but I do remember that the original (white) glove took forever to come down and I seem to recall a course or two being lost because it came down so slow.  When they changed it to the green glove they used for the rest of the run, it came down much faster.

@Superballer: I never ONCE saw Down the Hatch played where anyone had to brush the teeth.  I remember them doing camera shots, either during the explanation or going into the final commercial break, with a giant toothbrush "brushing" them, but don't think it was ever required of the contestants.  I'm also pretty sure the other player always stuck the giant nickel in Gum Drop but don't think it had any actual bearing on when they released the gumballs.
IncoG5nito
Formerly of the "Game Show Fiesta"