Author Topic: Bill Cullen's Shows  (Read 2786 times)

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
Bill Cullen's Shows
« on: December 06, 2011, 10:34:39 PM »
What are your favorite and least favorite shows that Bill Cullen hosted? He hosted more shows than anyone else (Tom Kennedy came short by two, I think).

My favorite show that he hosted has to be The Price is Right (where are we...), but I also really liked Three on a Match and Eye Guess. Price however, is his signature show in my opinion.

I think his worst show was Blankety Blanks. Sure, the set was cool, but the gameplay seemed kind of pointless... you get points that can turn into dollars (??). Most people say that Winning Streak was his worst one, but I think that was a cool show and had a fair amount of home viewer play along. The first time I watched the one surviving episode I was screaming at the screen a number of times what word can be made from those letters.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline brian1975

• Double Showcase Winner
  • hi there
Re: Bill Cullen's Shows
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 11:00:56 PM »
other than bill's version of tpir, my two favorites are hot potato and blockbusters. 
all of this can be yours, if you can afford it.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 11:50:07 PM »
I think Bill did a great job hosting Blockbusters, Hot Potato, Chain Reaction (had such a funky tune), and he did an ABSOLUTELY wonderful job hosting Password Plus

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 02:26:31 AM »
Bill Cullen was the best game show to ever grace a TV screen (sorry Barker).  Of course the original Price is Right stands out in many people's minds, but I think my favourite Cullen game is The $25,000 Pyramid.

His worst show?  I'll say "Winning Streak," just because it didn't last all that long.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 03:36:12 AM »
I like Bill Cullen, and I think he's definitely in the upper tier of hosts, but not the best by any means. I actually think he was a better panelist than he was a host. His hosting often brought proceedings to a slow crawl or even a screeching halt at times. That said, I enjoyed him very much on shows such as Hot Potato, The Price is Right, Pass the Buck, and Blockbusters, which is my favorite show that he did. I'd have to pick his work on The Joker's Wild as my least favorite.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 04:11:08 AM »
The worst game show Bill ever hosted undoubtedly was How Do You Like Your Eggs?, although that had nothing to do with Bill's performance.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 05:38:28 AM »
Best: The Price Is Right. In 1956, Dick Van Dyke was asked to try out as host but he turned it down, saying he didn't see the entertainment value in watching four people guess how much things cost. So good ol' Bill got the gig.

Worst: The Love Experts. Dunno what Bill was thinking when he hosted this smarmy panel show from 1978.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 05:40:46 AM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 07:32:55 AM »
Definitely Blockbusters.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline DarkBaron

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 09:47:41 PM »
The $25,000 Pyramid. Bill is a big factor for this Pyramid version to be my favorite.

I kept thinking that if Pyramid would've been picked up by NBC instead of ABC when CBS cancelled it, Don Pardo would've been the announcer, and thus making the syndicated version an addition to the list of great shows featuring the awesome duo of Bill Cullen and Don Pardo. I don't know why, but when I look at it, there's no bad show when these two are paired together (NBC's Price is Right, Three on a Match, first year of Eye Guess and yes, even Winning Streak.)

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 10:41:55 AM »
It's a tossup between Price and Blockbusters for best show. Three on a Match is not far behind. Pass the Buck was underrated too.

Worst was either Winning Streak or Blankety Blanks, mainly due to horrible game play. Hosting wise, it would be Joker, because he was the wrong choice for a fast paced game.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 11:01:35 AM »
Dunno what Bill was thinking

"I need a job."?

Offline columbear2012

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Times New Roman
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 07:29:54 AM »
Best:TPiR ;-)
Excellent but shy of best:
Hot Potato,Blockbusters,
Child's Play
Watchable given situation:Pyramid,Joker's Wild<reminder:Jack Barry had just died-do agree that show needed more of a Wink-type post-Barry>
'I need a job'-Bumper Stumpers,Celebrity HP

If it's not on this list,it only means I haven't seen it.
J.M.J. God love you!

BBC America for 'Dancing With the Stars'-
GSN for games!

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 08:07:42 AM »
Al DuBois hosted Bumper Stumpers, not Bill Cullen.

Offline columbear2012

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Times New Roman
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 08:00:04 PM »
I stand/sit corrected. For some reason,I had him tagged w/the USA Network version. Mea maxima culpa!
J.M.J. God love you!

BBC America for 'Dancing With the Stars'-
GSN for games!

Offline kassilynn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
My least favorite Bill Cullen show was "Child's Play", never really cared for that one.
He was fantastic hosting "Blockbusters" and "Password Plus", those are my faves !  :biggrin:
"Say whatever you want to about me, my artwork, etc, I don't really care.
If you don't want me or even like me, then I'm DAMN sure am not gonna let myself want OR
like YOU !"

^ That's my message to all you haters and people who are negative when it comes to me.