Author Topic: Sears/K-Mart Stores Closing  (Read 20104 times)

Offline WhammyPower788

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
Re: Sears/K-Mart Stores Closing
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2018, 10:45:18 PM »
the plans for future Super Kmart Centers were scrapped.
Yeah, we were supposed to get a Kmart Super Center in Milwaukee, but only the building shell was ever constructed. Eventually, five smaller stores moved in (one tore down the garden center). One of them, as I just found out today, is closing itself.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:51:28 PM by WhammyPower788 »
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2018, 04:50:02 PM »

To thus extend this another way, what other old gone retailers do you all remember and miss? 

Service Merchandise always had very cool things to look at (at least to 10-year old me) in their store.  Radio Shack was another store I liked in my teen years with all the computers they had on display. 

The college town I lived in for a time (Ames, Iowa) had a “Big” Kmart on the southeast edge of town that happened to be closest to my apartment.  Not quite a “Super” Kmart, but it was a larger store and had some selection of groceries.  I always thought it was the nicest of the three discount chains.  Then Target built a new store up the street.  That was the beginning of the end for Kmart, but it took a long time for it to go away.

Offline nbuckler14

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2018, 04:53:28 AM »
I live near Memphis which is where the closest Sears stores are to me, 2 are big ones in malls and one is a Sears Hometown Store which is very small, about the size of 2 pizza huts put together, the 2 mall ones are indeed closing December 31st they're doing liquidation now the little one hasn't made an announcement but someone told me that it's no longer owned by Sears that the new owners kept the name, not sure how they can do that, but anyway. I only ever shopped at the one nearest me in the mall and it was rare that I was able to, but me and some friends are gonna go next month for one last look around to see if we can get some Christmas deals.
This is Nick Buckler speaking for The Price is Right, a MARK GOODSON TELEVISION PRODUCTION!!!!  (catches breath)  Stay tuned for The Old and the Reckless on most of these CBS stations!

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2018, 07:36:45 AM »
The Hometown and Hardware stores are indeed different entities, though through some relationship to the parent company they maintained the use of the name. I recall reading through the twisted tale of all Mr. Lampert has done over the years and the various side deals. Not important enough to try to memorize it, but that basic concept stuck with me.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2019, 06:19:21 PM »
New info: After a bankruptcy hearing in court on Tuesday, January 8, the bankruptcy court Judge Robert Drain deemed that the bid which was submitted by CEO Eddie Lampert's hedge fund is acceptable to keep Sears open. However, the approval comes with a catch; namely, that a $120 million dollar cash payment must be submitted by Wednesday afternoon as a deposit. If not, Sears may have to begin liquidation proceedings. In a nutshell, there is hope, but very little, seeing as how poorly Sears has done over the past decade. We will just have to sit tight and see what happens.

The article:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/01/08/business/sears-future-bankruptcy-delay/index.html
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2019, 06:34:14 PM »
     Why drag out the inevitable?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2019, 07:56:16 PM »
Just wanted to put it out there. Perhaps some of us aren't aware. Just covering all the bases for ya!
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2019, 10:57:46 PM »
However, the approval comes with a catch; namely, that a $120 million dollar cash payment must be submitted by Wednesday afternoon as a deposit. If not, Sears may have to begin liquidation proceedings.

This is...where it counts.
#HangInThereSears
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!