Author Topic: Sears/K-Mart Stores Closing  (Read 20220 times)

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Sears/K-Mart Stores Closing
« on: December 27, 2011, 02:16:01 PM »
I've heard on the news and read in facebook that at least 100 stores in the Sears Holding company will be closing down and the company will release the list soon.  I'm praying this won't be the one where I work at (Little Ceasar's inside) K-Mart for two years w/out a raise and not enough hours a week and sad right now. 

Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Sears/K-Mart Stores Closing
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 03:30:31 PM »
Reports are that the local Kmart in my area has very little traffic in the parking lot at any given time, even on Xmas week last week, and not many people working there. Hopefully Kmart and Sears(which goes back to the 19th century) hang in there.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 06:38:29 PM »
I hope our local Sears sticks around. I rarely shop there, but I understand and appreciate its longevity, and we do go there occassionally.

The Kmart locations in our area (two of them) closed down nearly ten years ago, so I don't have to worry about that.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 07:44:19 PM »
I think here in rockford, il, we have 2 kmarts and I don't think either one of them does that good of business.  And we have one sears, so we will have to see if these 3 survive and stay open.

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 08:01:23 PM »
I'm hoping Indiana doesn't close any of its K-Mart and Sears stores.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 08:10:50 PM »
On occasion I do buy from Sears. In fact, I bought my garage door opener from there earlier this year. It's not the first store I think of when needing something though.

K-Mart however, it wouldn't bother me personally at all if they went away. I never shop there, because every store I've been in is a mess. I've never been to an organized, well stocked, clean K-Mart in my life. That's not to say they don't exist somewhere, but the ones in SE Michigan (where their HQ used to be) are mostly old and not well maintained.

The people that would lose out would be the employees, and it's never a good thing to experience a job loss.

Offline mysterywedge

• In Contestant's Row
  • Howdy. You're reading blank text.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 08:17:06 PM »
Wouldn't bother me if Sears stores started disappearing, but K-Mart is a whole other story. I remember back when I was very young, I'd go to K-Mart regularly and they had some kind of a pizza business inside, their pizza was like Heaven on Earth, one of the greatest things I ever shoved into my mouth. Unfortunately, they replaced it soon after my childhood memories, I loved that place... hopefully K-Mart as a whole doesn't go anytime soon.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 08:30:48 PM »
I was at the Kmart in Plattsburgh, NY about a month ago doing Christmas shopping...and I echo someguy's comments. The store was dingy and run-down, and, while it was fairly well stocked, the selection of merchandise was underwhelming (the electronics department, for one, was severely lacking in variety...and electronics are big-ticket items, you don't keep those understocked). Needless to say, the store was quite empty...lines were virtually nonexistent. The only thing worthwhile in there was the Little Caesar's.

Meanwhile, the Target across the road was extremely clean, neat, and inviting...and had a large variety and selection of merchandise. The Walmart just down the road had been recently renovated, and, while it had a strange layout (mostly due to the fact that it was a regular Walmart that was converted into a Super Walmart, leaving a strange hybrid of the old layout with the normal Super layout), it, too, was well-stocked, clean, and...well, as inviting as Walmart can be, really.  Needless to say, both stores were jam-packed full of customers.

Kmart closing stores doesn't affect me much, as the Kmart here closed down years ago. We do have a Sears store in our (crappy) shopping mall...but the store generates enough traffic and performs well enough where I doubt it's in any danger of closing (it gets an extremely large amount of traffic from Canada). I just fear that Kmart's troubles are going to bring Sears down with it, which would be a shame...
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 08:32:02 PM »
I worked at a Kmart in college to pay the bills, and afterward while looking for "in field" employment. It may have been a hellacious job, especially at this time of year, but I gave it my all.

Several years ago, I went back to that store and was amazed it was even still open. A Saturday afternoon, when in "my" era it was bustling, was virtually dead. The store looked pitiful, to put it nicely.

Closer to where I live now, the Kmart with its huge parking lot looks deserted every time I pass by. When last I ventured in, it, too, looked like time had left the store in the rear view mirror.

If those stores are indicative of the chain as a whole...well, I'm surprised they've held on this long. Walmart long since took the crown on bargain basement pricing, and Target took the place of...well, the not-quite Walmart among discounters. Kmart seemed to be the zombie, just kind of aimlessly wandering, not realizing it was essentially dead.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Wouldn't bother me if Sears stores started disappearing, but K-Mart is a whole other story. I remember back when I was very young, I'd go to K-Mart regularly and they had some kind of a pizza business inside, their pizza was like Heaven on Earth, one of the greatest things I ever shoved into my mouth. Unfortunately, they replaced it soon after my childhood memories, I loved that place... hopefully K-Mart as a whole doesn't go anytime soon.

Was that pizza place Little Caesar's by any chance? I remember that same restaurant in the Kmart nearest to me. I felt like a part of me died when they replaced it with a baby needs section although there was already a Babies 'R' Us in the same shopping center.

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
The K-Mart I went to was in the same location for over 40 years since my mom was a child. Recently they attempted to renew its lease, but sadly Target outbidded them for it.

Because of it, The K-mart their just closed down. They are knocking the building down and rebuilding a new one for Target.

Yep, Greed at its best  :-(

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 08:56:21 PM »
I think they replaced them across the board. "My" old store expanded the baby section into the short-lived pizza space, covering up the door to the restrooms they had added with a shelving unit, but leaving the sign still on the wall. Ditto another store where I worked on loan during a remodeling when I went back. It looked shoddy...all part of the decline.

The K-Mart I went to was in the same location for over 40 years since my mom was a child. Recently they attempted to renew its lease, but sadly Target outbidded them for it.

Because of it, The K-mart their just closed down. They are knocking the building down and rebuilding a new one for Target.

Yep, Greed at its best  :-(

How is that greed, though? One company was willing to pay more--it's the way the free market works.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 09:45:13 PM »
Retail history has shown that if you can't keep up with the times, you get left in the dust.  I do have some fond memories of the Zayre's store in one local mall (besides, I just love the name too), but I recall they were looking low-end and too outdated by the time the chain was bought out by Ames at the end of the 80s.  If Sears and K-Mart don't use this as an opportunity to modernize and revamp, it could eventually be the end for real.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
Ah, Ames. Not a chain near me growing up, but where my family went on vacations for a few years, there was an Ames that we would visit. I wasn't surprised to see that chain go under based on that experience....kind of a lower-rent Kmart there. (I went back after it had closed and converted to a sort of indoor flea market with much of the Ames signage still left behind inside...that took what had been a merely comical shopping experience and made it downright sad.)

The closest discount store to my childhood home was one of those that went through a succession of failed second-tier discounters (long before Walmart finally made its grand push into our section of the northeast): Two Guys, Jefferson Ward and Bradlees.

For those from the greater Philadelphia area, though, the discounter I still miss is Clover.

Offline mysterywedge

• In Contestant's Row
  • Howdy. You're reading blank text.
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 10:28:19 PM »
Was that pizza place Little Caesar's by any chance?

I wasn't sure at first, but I did some Googling a moment ago and found out it was Little Caesar's. If I had known then that Little Caesar's was not K-Mart exclusive, it would've lessened the pain, but I'll still miss it in the former K-Mart.  :(