Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 1/2/2012 (Celebrity Week: Snoop Dogg)  (Read 29928 times)

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
Re: TPiR Recap - 1/2/2012 (Celebrity Week: Snoop Dogg)
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »
Anyone else think that Snoop seemed a better announcer in the showcases than George sometimes is?
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 06:04:26 PM »
Admittedly, at some points, yes.

The actual retail price is...

Offline Todd97

• In the Audience
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 06:04:37 PM »
The Voodoo Fest prize seemed strange (since it is around Halloween every year), but then I saw the August tape date.  The tickets were for the 2011 festival. 

For those interested, here is a review of Snoop Dogg's performance at Voodoo Fest.

http://www.nola.com/voodoofest/index.ssf/2011/10/snoop_doggs_set_at_voodoo_fest.html

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 06:24:49 PM »
Actually, I was very impressed. It seemed slow to start, I will say that. By the end, Snoop Dogg was very interactive, he performed the showcases very well. I am highly impressed.

Some points:

- A winning strategy for Lucky $even today would've been just saying 2s straight across, would've only cost $4 (with 2 exactas).

- Check-Out, only in New York City could Boboli possibly go for $7. Great comeback nonetheless. The entire chat was worried here.

- That New Orleans trip would've been a nice 6-night trip, I priced it as a 6-nighter not really paying attention to the 3-night there. However, the car coming with it, the Chrysler 300 Limited, was a great addition, and I would love to see that car more.

- 5/6 (or to some others, 4/6) - Twice in a week. Now as long as we can get a perfect show soon, we look on the verge with it. Maybe celebrity week will get us it.

- Snoop Dogg reading the ARPs in the showcase. I loved that.

All in all, a great show, much against my expectations.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:31:30 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 06:29:02 PM »
You know, today's show really didn't feel like The Price Is Right to me, due to simply too much focus on the celebrity, but it's not bad for what it is. I suppose I can live with one week of this a season, which is good because that's probably what we'll be getting from now on. Games were still played, contestants still won prizes (more than normal, in fact), and there was still excitement even if it did have that extra different element added. I thought Snoop did very well for his part. Most of the advice he gave seemed to be accurate, and you could tell he was a fan of the show. In particular, I loved his reaction before the Birdola's price was revealed when he realized Check-Out was won. I also really appreciated his showcase announcing - he has to be one of the best guest presenters we've had. And as Willy said in chat, his SC reveals were a bit over the top, but he put a whole lot more emotion into them than Drew ever would. Overall, he was enjoyable to have on - it wasn't the rapfest show some people may have been fearing.

As for the actual show itself, I thought Mike in general did a good job setting these games up, with the obvious exception of starting the week off with an unwinnable Lucky $even. That was a bad foot to start on. I appreciated a "winnable though challenging" setup for Check-Out's car though - that's about what Check-Out for a car should be. Also, today of all day we really needed to have all 5 Plinko chips won, and I'm glad Mike realized that. The lineup was very imbalanced as others have alluded to - in particular it led to lots of early complaints about the lineup, only to get two good games at the end. It turned out to be an OK game selection, but it sure didn't look that way for awhile. We'll see what the rest of the week brings. However, 5/6 is definitely a great way to lead off the week - Mike at least knows a good way to get people into a new element of the show is more wins! Now we have Jenny tomorrow, oy vey...

Timings:
Lucky $even (4.5) - 4:03
Push Over (4) - 3:08
One Wrong Price (3.5) - 3:29
Range Game (4) - 3:37
Check-Out (5.5) - 5:10
Plinko (5) - 5:38
Total (26.5): 24:55

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 06:39:55 PM »
I must say, today had the vibe that a celebrity actually wanted to be on the show.  All the other times, it has felt very forced.  But Snoop Dogg had a great time helping out the contestants.  And he actually helped at that; I'm surprised he did that well at all the pricing games.

Mike was his usual grinch self in Lucky $even.  Honestly, I'm not sure what he's trying to accomplish in this game: he makes it impossible even when the show is trying to give away money.

And after an impossibly-hard Lucky $even, we get an impossibly-easy Push Over.

$5 for pizza crust!?  Heck, I can buy 2 pre-made pizzas for that price!

Not a bad show.  Will be looking forward to Neil's episode next.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 07:01:01 PM »
You know what was especially nice about today?  The show felt FUN ... moreso than it has in a while.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
I knew Snoop would be good help to contestants. He's got money to spend and everything offered in 5 of the 6 games were all things he would spend it on.

Great show. First of all....A THIRTY THOUSAND PLUS CAR IN LUCKY $EVEN! While the setup was terrible, this had to have been the first time Lucky $even started with a number higher than 2 in a long time.

Push Over was incredibly easy.
Plinko was pure fun. Great segment. I loved her delayed reaction when Snoop told her how much she had won.
The car in Check-Out was pure win. Great Car. I was however taken aback by the rap beat cue. That was odd and funny.

One Wrong Price and Range Game were pure Snoop WIN. He gave some great advice in those games.

Snoop presented the showcases excellently, and you could tell he was having a great time with his "pretend" announcer voice.

I'll tell you, I am not a fan of all these celebrities on the show, but a week like this can certainly offer up some fun and I think that this celebrity week could work in Mike's favor. Good for him.

As for tomorrow's show....I shall watch. No need for the show's mistake to hamper my fun.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 07:05:09 PM »
Wow i didn't expect to see many wins on today's show. Lucky seven was evil i mean how could there be a 30 grand plus car in that game?
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 07:37:22 PM »
Wow i didn't expect to see many wins on today's show. Lucky seven was evil i mean how could there be a 30 grand plus car in that game?
They decided to offer that car, and then they decided to do so in Lucky Seven.  Pretty simple process.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 08:39:25 PM »
I'm somewhat confliced here.  I still don't like the idea of celebrities on TPIR, but this show actually ended up being quite good, mostly because Snoop was more interested in it than Drew was.  Hell, he basically hosted the second part of Plinko.  I would not be opposed to having this guy around the show more often, perhaps in lieu of somebody else.  (Whether that "somebody else" would be Drew or George, I haven't decided.)

In all seriousness, Snoop gave more of a damn about the contestants than Drew did.  The way he talked to some of them was arguably Barker-esque.  It's been far too long since something like that has happened.

One of the neatest things that happened today was that Drew stumbled into the classic Lucky $even reveal.  All that was missing was, "Let's open up the doors on the giant Lucky $even board."  We also got to see a pretty cool shot from the "wrong" side of Range Game.

I think the "celebrity bonus spin" they came up with works pretty well.  Introducing Snoop at the beginning of every game, on the other hand, was just goofy.

Lucky $even wasn't unwinnable, but it certainly wasn't the nicest setup ever.

A spin of Darlene's that didn't go all the way around was pretty obviously edited out of the second Showcase Showdown -- the wheel never appeared to jump to a different space, but it started moving faster at one point.

Anyone else think that Snoop seemed a better announcer in the showcases than George sometimes is?

Yes.

As for the actual show itself, I thought Mike in general did a good job setting these games up, with the obvious exception of starting the week off with an unwinnable Lucky $even.

In all fairness, this was the Tuesday show.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 08:44:05 PM »
In all fairness, this was the Tuesday show.
Do you think they originally realized the week would be shifted around eventually?

Also, regardless the first setup of a show like this should be fair.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 09:24:49 PM »
Introducing Snoop at the beginning of every game, on the other hand, was just goofy.
I haven't figured out exactly how I'd fix this...maybe introduce him at the top of the show, then let him model the one-bid or prizes in the games?

Getting to him felt disjointed, his participation flowed.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 10:16:45 PM »
Saw the video, and I indeed felt worried about the end result, but all is well because a CAR WAS WON on CHECK-OUT!
Loved how they had all the light on check-out flashing for the win. 65 cents is a wonderful win by the $2 range we have on that game.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 10:37:21 PM »
PANTHERS JERSEY ON TPIR?! YES SIR!!! :-D

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Alexis
SHOW GRADE: 2