Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 1/4/2012 (Celebrity Week: Neil Patrick Harris)  (Read 15369 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: TPiR Recap - 1/4/2012 (Celebrity Week: Neil Patrick Harris)
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 06:54:04 PM »
Allow me to echo what I said on Monday:  I want more Neil and less Drew.  Neil cares about the contestants; Drew cares about Neil.  That's a bad equation.

Drew, there is no such thing as "a hundred" on the Big Wheel.

I think Destiny may be a Samoan! :)

Speaking of Destiny, did anyone think she looked kinda pissed about the way Drew reacted when she lost Grocery Game?

Yay for 1/2 Off and Gas Money wins!

And guys...no, there have not been two Gas Money wins in a row.  There's been a win on October 12 and another on December 30.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Shaymin

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • May we have some decorum here, please?
    • Nintendo Free Radio
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 06:57:26 PM »
Don't be pessimistic!

I prefer to think of it as being realistic.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 07:01:24 PM »
And guys...no, there have not been two Gas Money wins in a row.  There's been a win on October 12 and another on December 30.
I don't really think you can apply production code logic here. You're right they aren't really consecutive, but saying these shows were meant for the October 10-14 week just isn't right.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 07:32:40 PM »
wow, another great show today. i saw the gas money playing and i thought neil did a great job helping the contestant
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 07:36:31 PM »
I don't get the obsession with production codes and dates.    Gas Money has aired twice in the past week and been won twice - to the average viewer, it's been won twice in a row. 

The Grocery Game contestant was great apart from botching her game.   And Gas Money is always great to watch when the contestant gets at least 2-3 right to start and the pressure starts getting higher.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 07:59:35 PM »
I don't get the obsession with production codes and dates.  Gas Money has aired twice in the past week and been won twice - to the average viewer, it's been won twice in a row.

Since when are we average viewers?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 08:06:44 PM »

If we were average viewers this site wouldn't even exist  :P

Offline letemroll92

• In the Audience
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 08:37:51 PM »
Neil Patrick Harris, why weren't you chosen to be TPiR's host?  I just see a certain Bobness with him; maybe it's the way he reacts to overexcited contestants, or his suave entrance, I'm not sure.  Regardless, he's a fantastic people person.

1/2 Off: Very easy SP setup.  Fantastic win, and nice subdued Lucky Seven reference (probably not intentional, but still...)

Any Number: Typical number setups.  But then again, a celebrity wouldn't know what 'typical' A# digits are, so perhaps they could've been nicer.

Side-by-Side: Could've gone either way, as hot-tubs and spas are all over the place.  Good win.

Grocery Game: I can understand the thought that the soup might've been 99 cents per can.  But 16 was still WAY too risky of a guess.

Switch?: Also setup for a win it seems.

Gas Money: Honda Accords are never under $20K these days, so the $17-19K choices were clear.  Her $23K choice midway was risky, but once that was cleared, the $21K was rather obvious.

Offline AntmanB

• In the Audience
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 08:39:37 PM »
who are the celebs for thursday and friday?

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 08:40:09 PM »
who are the celebs for thursday and friday?

Chris Daughtry and Heidi Klum

Offline spoon14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Straight outta Medellin!
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »
Neil Patrick Harris, why weren't you chosen to be TPiR's host?  I just see a certain Bobness with him; maybe it's the way he reacts to overexcited contestants, or his suave entrance, I'm not sure.  Regardless, he's a fantastic people person.
He was very good and very versatile. He was great with the physical comedy of pretending to be scared of the hyper contestants. But he was equally skilled in playing it straight: discussing game play and presenting his Showcases. I would love to see him host. If Drew ever leaves and NPH's sitcom comes to an end, I'd like to see TPIR pursue Neil as host. Maybe they could have  him guest host some week.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 09:31:16 PM »
I would love to see him host. If Drew ever leaves and NPH's sitcom comes to an end, I'd like to see TPIR pursue Neil as host. Maybe they could have  him guest host some week.

Seconded for sure!

Quite an exciting win in GM & Half Off! Great show today!

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »
Woohoo!  Neil Patrick Harris is back on stage!

Destiny was a wild one, for sure.  Some contestants attack/tackle the host.  She may be the first contestant to attack/tackle a celebrity guest.

Two (aired) wins in a row for Gas Money!  Awesome!  That certainly makes up for 14 months of futility.

My showcase bids:
Prius--$30,107
Sonata--$30,107
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 09:41:21 PM »
Gas Money has aired twice in the past week and been won twice - to the average viewer, it's been won twice in a row. 

Since when did he call us average viewers?

Let's not pick nit's over airings / tapings of Gas Wins, since it really does not matter in any regard, overall it's been won twice this season.

I guess I should also mention this was the taping I attended! :) There is not much really to say other than it was fun seeing Neil and a real shock hearing "Welcome to Celebrity Week on The Price is Right" as an opening in an AUGUST taping.....
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:47:32 PM by vadernader »
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 09:49:24 PM »
Neil Patrick Harris was a perfect candidate for this show today. As others have pointed out, he was much better at handling the contestants than Drew is on a typical day. He knew when to stand back and when to contribute, and when he did contribute it always added something positive to the show - he did seem to be genuinely trying to price things and help the contestants as much as he could. I'd even go so far to say as if Drew left, he could do OK hosting the show - he did that well staying balanced today with everything that was going on.

It helped that, Neil's presence nonwithstanding, today was just a good average Price show in every sense of the word. You had finally what would be a solid lineup on a normal show, great contestants who made both intelligent and dumb decisions, a good mix of easier (1/2 Off and Gas Money) and trickier (Any Number) setups, etc. I wish Mike could afford this balance more often. There were even two showcases that made sense. It was refreshing. I think this week is a good lesson. As much as we may dread a celebrity week like this one, it can really work if we find the RIGHT celebrities who know how to add to the show (like Snoop and Neil) and it can also really not work so well when we have one that detracts from it (Jenny).

And I have to say, I pre-called 7 being right in 1/2 Off today, and was happy when that was the correct box - this was a perfect day for that.

Timings:
1/2 Off (5.5) - 5:22
Any Number (5) - 3:56
Side By Side (3.5) - 2:47
Grocery Game (5) - 4:45
Switch? (3.5) - 2:33
Gas Money (5.5) - 5:03
Total (28): 25:26