Author Topic: Rules clarification about "One Away"  (Read 7006 times)

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
Re: Rules clarification about "One Away"
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »
They'd definitely use a 1 as the wrong number. Conversely, if a 9 is the correct number, then the 8 would have to be the wrong number there (either lower to 7, or higher to 9).

Thus, all other things being equal, would it be correct to assume that an 8 in the 'wrong' price should be changed to a 9 more often than it should be changed to a 7?
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Rusty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
Thus, all other things being equal, would it be correct to assume that an 8 in the 'wrong' price should be changed to a 9 more often than it should be changed to a 7?
Yup.  By a 2 to 1 margin.  Similarly, if you've no guess on a 1, change it to a 0.  (0 is used and 0<1, correct?)

Offline stardf29

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 08:42:44 PM »
^Of course, that's assuming all things are equal. In actuality, it's ultimately up to the whims of the producers and how they want to set up the game; for example, lately, if an 8 appears in the last digit, the correct answer is fairly often a 7, because the producers know that 9 is a fairly popular choice for the last digit and they can trap contestants that way.

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 10:53:26 PM »
^Of course, that's assuming all things are equal. In actuality, it's ultimately up to the whims of the producers and how they want to set up the game; for example, lately, if an 8 appears in the last digit, the correct answer is fairly often a 7, because the producers know that 9 is a fairly popular choice for the last digit and they can trap contestants that way.

This is an attitude that producers use that I do not like.  It should never be about "trapping" the contestant.

Cyclone

Offline jackcrow1731

• In the Audience
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 11:27:10 PM »
100% sure 0s and/or 9s have been used in the wrong price.  (Not sure whether it's one, the other, or both, but it's not really important.)
I have seen an episode where a nine was the incorrect number.  It was on the Tom Kennedy mid 80's version and I do believe the episode is on Youtube somewhere.  For the record, the correct number was the eight, not the zero.

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 11:52:11 PM »
I'd think 0 could be used the same way.  1 or 9 can result.

Whether they do it in practice, on the other hand...

Cyclone

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »
I have seen an episode where a nine was the incorrect number.  It was on the Tom Kennedy mid 80's version and I do believe the episode is on Youtube somewhere.  For the record, the correct number was the eight, not the zero.

Sure enough...

You don't get to see a blue 0 in the clip, but it's still interesting to see the black 9/red 8. On that note, Tom made no note of the fact that the 9 could become a 0. I wonder if, had the correct number been 0, he would have had a case with S&P.

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 02:43:09 PM »
That would be difficult to tell if the black number was 0 or 9.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 03:03:29 PM »
This is unrelated to the original post, but not enough to form a new topic. 

I know that some have been critical of Drew "reminding" contestants that they won the One-Bid prize, especially if they lost their pricing game. 

In this clip, Tom did exactly the same thing - despite the fact that the player won the car.

I just found it interesting.  That is all...
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 03:32:51 PM »
This is unrelated to the original post, but not enough to form a new topic. 

I know that some have been critical of Drew "reminding" contestants that they won the One-Bid prize, especially if they lost their pricing game. 

In this clip, Tom did exactly the same thing - despite the fact that the player won the car.

I just found it interesting.  That is all...

Some people criticize Drew for a lot of things that Bob & Tom have done at least once before. :P
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »
On that note, Tom made no note of the fact that the 9 could become a 0. I wonder if, had the correct number been 0, he would have had a case with S&P.

The rules were explained and the correct answer was one of the possible choices. No S&P problem.

I don't think I realized before watching this clip that the host, not the contestant, used to ask for the horns indicating how many numbers were right. When did that change?

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 07:41:57 PM »
The idea that the numbers 0 through 9 are arranged in a circle rather than a line has been used in the past in [...] Lucky Seven

I don't understand how they can declare a win in Lucky 7 if the contestant says 0 and the correct number is a 9. To me, that's $2 additional the contestant owes Drew. :oldlol: I don't know if it's the schools I went to, but 0 comes before 1 and 10 comes after 9 - it's one less than 1 not one more than 9, hence the contestant is off by 9 if they say 0 and it's a 9.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 10:39:26 PM »
The rules were explained and the correct answer was one of the possible choices. No S&P problem.

But 0 is not actually one away from 9. One might infer that the possibilities for a 9 would be 8 and 0, but I wouldn't blame someone for either thinking it must automatically be 8, or just being flat-out confused. 9+1≠0, so while it's poor logic and shouldn't be done at all, I think contestants need to be explicitly told how nines and zeros work, and in this clip the contestant was not (even though his guess and the correct number were both 8 so the issue never came up).

On the topic of Lucky Seven, I think that skipping from 9 to 0 would be acceptable if the numbers were revealed in reverse order. Say, for example, I guessed 9, and the correct number was 0. I could have been thinking the price ended in -89, when really it ended in -90, so I would really be only $1 off.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 01:05:52 AM »
I don't understand how they can declare a win in Lucky 7 if the contestant says 0 and the correct number is a 9.

You're right, but legend is that Bob did it once because he was in an extra-generous mood or something that day.  Rather than risk it happening again, the staff thought it was better to just ban the number 0 from the game.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 05:07:06 AM »
so while it's poor logic and shouldn't be done at all, I think contestants need to be explicitly told how nines and zeros work, and in this clip the contestant was not

I agree that using a zero needlessly complicates the game, but in this case, the contestant was told the rules of the game, and Tom used the first number as an illustration (8 can be 7 or 9). The contestant can therefore be assumed to understand that each digit has two possible choices, each of which is "one away" from the incorrect number given. If the contestant is shown a 9 as the wrong number, what else would he think those two choices are: eight and what?