Author Topic: Anything That Bob and/or Roger Did Wrong?  (Read 18601 times)

Offline kassilynn

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Anything That Bob and/or Roger Did Wrong?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 05:15:06 PM »
I'm not sure if Bob was responsible for this change or not, but beginning in late 2005, I saw an episode that aired in December of that year, the train depot popped up (Rebecca was the conductor) and instead of seeing the train engine come across the stage, the engine was plopped in the middle of the stage (the same thing happened w/ Port O' Price as well), not really sure why they changed it but that just took the fun out of it for me. 

But what Bob did TRULY WRONG was his poor treatment of the models (especially Holly) and how in his last couple years on the show when he would speak highly about the current rotating models saying they were the best models "TPiR" ever had but I guess someone had asked him about the classic models (Janice, Holly, Kathleen, Claudia, Nikki, Kyle) and his response was
"They're an absolute disgrace, they're disgusting" and that TRULY upset me, I was near tears.  I was very hurt to hear Bob say such cruel things about them (especially Janice and Holly), Janice, who's been working side-by-side w/ Bob for 28 years and Holly because of all the hell and suffering she suffered at the hands of him. 

I didn't like the rotation of models either (never really cared for Gabrielle, Phire, or Gwendolyn), they should've just signed Rachel, Brandi, Lanisha, and Shane as the regulars and Rebecca as the substitute model and some people said that Bob was responsible for breaking up Rebecca and staffer Jeff Thisted's engagement.

I was also deeply hurt when Bob and Rod's friendship fell apart and Rod being stripped of his on-camera time as a result.
I don't hate Bob but I don't have that much love in my heart for him anymore because I'm saddened by the way he's coldly treated everyone around him during his days of "TPiR".  I'm more so sad and heartbroken for Janice, Holly, Kathleen, Nikki, Claudia, and Rod
because of all of the nasty things Bob said about them and just imagine how hearing Bob saying those hurtful remarks made them all feel.

Like my Grandfather always said after Holly was booted off the show "Bob is a marvelous Game Show Host, but he is one ROTTEN human being".
"Say whatever you want to about me, my artwork, etc, I don't really care.
If you don't want me or even like me, then I'm DAMN sure am not gonna let myself want OR
like YOU !"

^ That's my message to all you haters and people who are negative when it comes to me.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 05:22:46 PM »
I'll have to agree that Bob's off camera issues and indiscretions are the things he has done wrong during his tenure. I can't think of anything on the show, in all honesty.

I liked the old showcase skits. My all time favorite was the one set in the future, where the models discover a time capsule with the prizes in it.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Dakotakid2007

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 07:10:08 PM »
Kassilynn said it well - all that WAS wrong and it broke my heart too.  My grandmother used to say, "If you don't have anything good to say, say nothing at all."  Barker has nothing good to say, and he should have said nothing.  Those ladies of TPiR were wonderful - we all know that - nothing Barker could say would change my mind about Janice or Holly or Kathleen (or Anitra or Chantel) ... they were and ARE wonderful women and Barker should be a gentleman and issue an open apology to them.  "The truth will set you free".   

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 07:32:04 PM »
I'm not sure if Bob was responsible for this change or not, but beginning in late 2005, I saw an episode that aired in December of that year, the train depot popped up (Rebecca was the conductor) and instead of seeing the train engine come across the stage, the engine was plopped in the middle of the stage (the same thing happened w/ Port O' Price as well), not really sure why they changed it but that just took the fun out of it for me.

This was a result of the time cuts that occurred early in Season 34.  Having the Train/Tugboat start on-camera saved a few seconds that could then be used elsewhere in the show.

and some people said that Bob was responsible for breaking up Rebecca and staffer Jeff Thisted's engagement.

They did?  I've certainly never heard of any such thing.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 07:48:19 PM »
He never said the models were disgusting. He said the allegations of sexual misconduct made against him were disgusting.

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 08:46:42 PM »
I was also deeply hurt when Bob and Rod's friendship fell apart and Rod being stripped of his on-camera time as a result.

Please forgive me for being ignorant, I don't think I've been around the show long enough for this, but could someone please enlighten me as to what happened / what was told about Rod and Bob's friendship? I had no idea.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline shieldsy101

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 08:56:37 PM »
From what I know (and this is mostly from hearing things on this site and other places). Rod and Bob were friendly towards each other until Season 30, and the Price is Right Salutes specials. Rod, it seems wanted more money for said specials, and TPTB said no. Therefore, Burton Richardson was called in for 3 of the shows, and Rod announced the rest. It further deteriorated when Bob took away Rod's camera-time in Season 31.
Hurricane Microsoft - It'll make your Windows Crash
Andrew Hansen from the Chaser's War on Everything (Australian Comedy Series) discussing whether companies should brand a natural disaster

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 08:59:56 PM »
He never said the models were disgusting. He said the allegations of sexual misconduct made against him were disgusting.

Uh, no.  That's from a USA Today article, and it clearly tags the "disgusting" comment directly to the models themselves.  (It's in the "Losses, Turmoil" sidebar.)  Now in fairness, Bob just repeatedly said "them" in the actual quote.  Not seeing a full transcript, it's conceivable that the intended antecedent was the allegations, not the models.  But that's clearly not how the person who did the interview took it, and I assume he has a better perspective on it than any of us.

Offline JerseyBob

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 09:24:55 PM »
Isn't whether Barker called the allegations "disgusting" or the person(s) who made them "disgusting" a moot point?  Would anyone in their right mind say, "The allegations of sexual misconduct are disgusting, but the accuser is a wonderful person."?

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 07:30:26 AM »
I can only say what I think from the many videos I've seen on youtube...

I never like how Bob seems to shove contestants off camera almost the instant their game is finished (even when they win).

Also, probably not their fault, but whoever agreed upon the hot pink and purple turntable design needed their eyes and sanity checked. 

It's also interesting watching some episodes from Bob's early years on the show where the games are obviously unfamiliar and he sometimes overexplains them to the point of confusing the contestant (Mystery Price suffered from this, in my opinion).  Of course the way hosts of Bob's vintage spoke is different to what we see from modern tv hosts.

I agree with most on the showcase skits.  A lot of the ones on the Price Is Right video games are awful.  Showcases like 'Every room in the house" are fantastic though and should still be around.

The above are points that I don't think diminish the overall quality of the show but are things I don't like watching.

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »
The only wrong I can think of is the mistreatment of the on-air personalities towards the end of Bob's hosting.

In regards to the showcase skits....weren't they supposed to be cheesy and corny, yet not idiotic? Just saying "this showcase consists of blank, blank and blank" sounds boring to me.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 12:21:58 PM »
In regards to the showcase skits....weren't they supposed to be cheesy and corny, yet not idiotic? Just saying "this showcase consists of blank, blank and blank" sounds boring to me.

Exactly...and the latter is largely what we have now, despite the writers'* best attempts to make them interesting.

*I'm not sure who's writing the showcases at this point.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline neilrocks87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 09:37:29 PM »
BOB
-haveing both $uper $aver and Super Ball! retired. Huge mistake in my opinion. I think Drew would have fun with both of these games.
-the way he treated the models (all of them) got on my nerves. He wouldn't even acknowledge a new models joining  the show in his last few years (from what I've seen amyway).He once even used Rachel as a barricade after a crazy lady won a car. It was just aweful.

ROGER:
the creation of That's Too Much!  >:(

I....HATED, and I mean HATED the old skit showcases.

I highly disagree with this. The showcases suck with out them these days.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 09:55:41 PM »
I think Drew would have fun with both of these games.

Super Ball!!, maybe.  I think Drew would bumble through the explanation of $uper $aver, however (especially the "mathematically possible" disclaimer about picking the marked-up item).

ROGER:
the creation of That's Too Much!  >:(

I know people like to knock on the game for not being won very often, but I think there are worse things than That's Too Much.  For example, I think offering expensive cars into Card Game after the new special deck and the $12,000 bid debuted was worse; it ate up airtime and contestants often stopped short of the winning margin (to be fair, things sped up when the opening bid was increased to $15,000, and they only offered cars from $17,000-21,000 in price, but I still think a $5,000 range is too generous).

"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline MyNameIsMichael

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 10:50:50 PM »

Yeah, a lot of the old skits were pretty corny yet humorous and fun. Sometimes they would salute famous people, such as the Marx Brothers and Dr. John Barrett Clapinger, and some were without laughs, focusing more on a theme than humor, such as the time capsule showcase, the department store with the elevator, the cheerleaders, and the models going to the bank. At least the show nowadays still does the April Fool's showcase.