Author Topic: Drew Carey podcast from SF Sketchfest  (Read 27886 times)

Offline katrinka_ohio

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Drew Carey podcast from SF Sketchfest
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:31:44 PM »
Click here

Warning: strong language

He talks about the exacta showcase bid.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:34:03 PM by katrinka_ohio »
Go fellow Buckeye Drew!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: Drew Carey podcast from SF Sketchfest
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 11:47:46 PM »
(Exacta talk is ~11:30-15:00)

Disappointing we ended up leaving this impression on Drew. This has been talked about to death, but it does give some insight to Drew's mood on the reveal - acing a SC is so clearly a malicious attempt to force Drew out of TPiR. :roll:

Also, the first showcase of TPiR was mentioned to be 1975... with a show in Season 40 in 2012. There is a reason many ostracize you, Drew.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:51:56 PM by Wayoshi »
S4x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 11:51:37 PM »
Are there transcripts to these chats?  I'd like to listen to this, but I have a feeling I know what the "strong language" is.  If it is the word I think it is, then I'd rather have had it written than spoken.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 11:57:32 PM »
Are there transcripts to these chats?  I'd like to listen to this, but I have a feeling I know what the "strong language" is.  If it is the word I think it is, then I'd rather have had it written than spoken.

Seconding this request.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The production values Mike SHOULD strive for.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 12:01:56 AM »
I just skimmed the entire podcast. The Price related content starts at roughly 7:51, and there are little breaks/diversions here and there but the last of it ends around 22:27. I must agree that I'm disappointed with Drew's general attitude. His tone even changed - he was all joking and then he got all serious and even a little pissy when talking about our site and the circumstances behind that. A lot of the stuff he says here is stuff we've heard before, but it's said more candidly than we're used to hearing him say it, so I would encourage people to check it out. The strong language is a bunch of words scattered throughout.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 12:07:03 AM »
OK, I'll roughly paraphrase/quote what Drew said in that 3-minute span...

-Male host brings up SC exacta
-Drew starts with "there's this fan group that hates me", "don't like all the changes we made because they miss the grandfather clocks", "who watch the show religiously"
-Before new producer, there was 6 new prizes a week, after this event now there's 40/week (aside from me: I don't think so), Drew is aware of different car options to keep things tricky, "pretty easy to memorize every single *bleep*ing prize we had"
-Despite Esquire article, Drew confirms guy in front row [Ted] gave contestant [Terry] the price of $23743 and that it is on tape
-Drew acknowledges this exacta was technically legal, but for example, a friend who knows Chevys helping to ace a car game is different
-[Ted's act] was done out of malice, to give the *bleep*ing price of everything and screw over the show

And that's it...

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 12:19:36 AM »
OK, I'll roughly paraphrase/quote what Drew said in that 3-minute span...

-Male host brings up SC exacta
-Drew starts with "there's this fan group that hates me", "don't like all the changes we made because they miss the grandfather clocks", "who watch the show religiously"
-Before new producer, there was 6 new prizes a week, after this event now there's 40/week (aside from me: I don't think so), Drew is aware of different car options to keep things tricky, "pretty easy to memorize every single *bleep*ing prize we had"
-Despite Esquire article, Drew confirms guy in front row [Ted] gave contestant [Terry] the price of $23743 and that it is on tape
-Drew acknowledges this exacta was technically legal, but for example, a friend who knows Chevys helping to ace a car game is different
-[Ted's act] was done out of malice, to give the *bleep*ing price of everything and screw over the show

And that's it...

Wow, um... yeah. I'm not really surprised.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 12:50:18 AM »
Drew is a moron.  We already knew this.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 01:15:27 AM »
I love the slip about Roger: "he was let go, or left the show, rather".

Also, this is pretty much an open challenge for Ted or any one of our members to go back to the BBS.
"Drew is the greatest at the show that Drew does...how do we make Bob's show Drew's show?"
~ Mike Richards, Cover Story: The Price is Right, aired June 17, 2018

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 01:18:25 AM »
I found the conversation to be quite funny. Yes, I too am disappointed that Drew thinks we hate him. I for one don't, but I guess he read the board more back then when a lot of the Drewicism was at a fever pitch than it is now and got all the impression he needed from then.

Yes Drew, we want you to dye your hair white and call you an animal rights extremist who has sex with the models. That's exactly what we want Drew, another round of that.  :roll:

I thought him addressing his recent break-up and saying that he could get girls by taking them to the Big Wheel in the back was funny.

I'm also thoroughly impressed by Drew's sense of self awareness when it comes to the show. It's become a lot more evident now than it was in the past and it makes me trust him just a little bit more with the show.

Finally, when it comes to the variety of the prizes, just because you've put on a lot more prizes and change car packages often doesn't mean you've Larson-proofed the show. Some of us still pay attention. I don't need to know what package is in a car in Lucky $even to know that there will be a 9, 8, 2, or 1 in the price.

The attempts to shake things up have, for the most part, become stale. Yes, there are surprises, but do those outweigh what is expected? No. You thought being stale or predictable was something that was only Roger's fault, when in reality it is inescapable, and now you're doing the same thing you set out not to do in the first place.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 02:03:44 AM »
I guess Great Butler and Steve are right - this is nothing new - but still, I feel like this is closure on the matter at least.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 03:49:47 AM »
Actually, I think that in the past few months, Drew has, if not put more effort into his hosting, than put effort into his hosting more frequently.  The show overall feels more like itself this year than at any time since Roger was fired, and I think that's because they've largely stopped going out of their way to make it be something other than The Price Is Right.

But yeah...if Drew still doesn't get why he was wrong about the perfect bid, then he's still a moron.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Ted

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 10:17:37 AM »
Wow...I don't even know where to begin.

Obviously, Kathy Greco must have forgotten that I'd been to the show many times before yelling out prices (and never with "malice" as my motive).   

Just because I'm a member of this site does not mean I endorse or agree with the opinions of everyone (or anyone) on here.

I know that at least 30 new prizes/products were added to the show each week during seasons 30-35. It was rare that I would watch a show and not have to add at least 5 or 6 new items to my database.

Drew, thanks for the invitation to come back and sit in the front row.   

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »
I found the conversation to be quite funny. Yes, I too am disappointed that Drew thinks we hate him. I for one don't, but I guess he read the board more back then when a lot of the Drewicism was at a fever pitch than it is now and got all the impression he needed from then.
We don't? (I don't, it's just very easy to see how anyone might think most of the site does because well, it's true. There is a ton of Drew bashing in almost every thread.)

Yes Drew, we want you to dye your hair white and call you an animal rights extremist who has sex with the models. That's exactly what we want Drew, another round of that.  :roll:
Why are you taking what he said literally? He clearly just was implying that everyone wants Bob back instead of Drew and for the most part, that's true.

Finally, when it comes to the variety of the prizes, just because you've put on a lot more prizes and change car packages often doesn't mean you've Larson-proofed the show. Some of us still pay attention. I don't need to know what package is in a car in Lucky $even to know that there will be a 9, 8, 2, or 1 in the price.
OK, so you know there will be a 9,8,2 or 1 SOMEWHERE in the price..... $21,3XX, GO! Let's say you know there's going to be one of them, so you guess an 8. It's a 1, you automatically lose. Just because you know there's going to be at least one of them somewhere in the price doesn't mean at all that you can win the game / beat the "system" or anything of the matter.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 10:49:54 AM »
I'd like to listen to this, but I have a feeling I know what the "strong language" is.  If it is the word I think it is, then I'd rather have had it written than spoken.

Think more like five words and several NSFW concepts.

Also, this is pretty much an open challenge for Ted or any one of our members to go back to the BBS.

I have a feeling that's not really Drew's call to make.

Actually, I think that in the past few months, Drew has, if not put more effort into his hosting, than put effort into his hosting more frequently.

That's interesting... I've felt he's been really sluggish on these shows where he's wearing the huge sling.  I had the opportunity to watch the show yesterday as it aired for the first time in a long time, and I actually turned it off after a few minutes.  I haven't deliberately avoided an episode like that since the robo-Bob years.

On a similar note... maybe I'm just distracted by how incredibly annoying that podcast co-host is, but this is the first interview with Drew I've ever walked away from thinking, "He doesn't sound like a very pleasant person to be around."  In the past, he's always come across as someone who doesn't let a whole lot of things worry him, but the man clearly has some chips on his shoulder.