Author Topic: OBIT: Whitney Houston  (Read 5602 times)

Offline WheelzVatcher

• In Contestant's Row
Re: OBIT: Whitney Houston
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 12:09:08 AM »
I am beyond shocked to hear of her death, especially after she made a public appearance a couple days ago. Yes she's had problems over the past several years but this woman is a legend. She belted out songs like nobody else and so many people looked up to her. No matter what kind of mood you were in there was a song she sang that you could relate to. Like the media's been saying she made a lot of people think a Dolly Parton song was one of her own aka I Will Always Love You. Many people are saying that we should have seen her death coming. While she made some poor choices possibly contributed to some extra issues I don't think people predicted her days were numbered to this extent. Yes she would never be as popular as she once was but I think a lot of people were rooting for her and were willing to support her in whatever new projects she participated in.  Even Simon Cowell admitted she was being considered as an X-Factor judge.

A lot of people said the Grammy's were Adele's time to shine and this year's show was something a ton of people were looking forward to. Instead it will be a very sombre ceremony. A news anchor here in Toronto said we should expect to hear a lot of winners mention Whitney in their acceptance speeches.

So shocking, may she rest in peace!

Offline JerseyBob

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 12:13:36 AM »
Very sad news.  She was an extremely talented person.  By the way, the mountainclimber, that article you shared was from September 13, 2001.  She's been a quite troubled for many years.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 09:12:25 AM »
I haven't been an avid listener of pop music for over 30 years because it just hasn't sent me. That it has relied on techno trappings, moronic lyrics  and more recently "Auto-tune" has rendered it toxic to me. I've never been a tremendous Whitney Houston fan as I considered her type of singing rather bombastic and Grammy-conscious. That she never used Auto-tune does speak very highly of her talent.

Friends and associates call her "one of the nicest people" they knew. I'd like to believe that if not for when she came out with "I Will Always Love You," and filed a suit ordering Dolly Parton--the person who wrote the song--to not perform it herself since Houston claimed it was her "signature song."

That said, her death is a tragedy in the broadest sense. She hitched her star to a train wreck of a husband and dabbled in drugs. She righted herself, and it's unclear what claimed her last night. I wouldn't want the superstar lifestyle Whitney had and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy if that's how things turn out.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:15:55 AM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 11:35:20 AM »
That article is dated September 13.

Of 2001.

Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 03:02:54 PM »
Screw Bobby Brown.

NO!!!!!!!. Not cool man. Don't do that.

Brown is an innocent guy. Why do people auto-assume that he had a gun to her head and.. etc. etc.

This is "Out in Left Field" and I'm not sure how far I can go here, so Ill just shut it. But really, can we can all the talk condemning anyone in this situation? RIP to a legend. My mom is *siiick* over this  :-(

Offline AndrewRMora

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
NO!!!!!!!. Not cool man. Don't do that.

Well, Some People say Bobby Brown was reponable for giving her Drugs.

Any Way the upcoming Grammy Tribute could be one of the Best in the History of the Awrads.
TITLE    PRICE IS RIGHT
PROD.    #273N
AIR    T.B.A
VTR    8-15-79
PICKUP        TAKE 1

Offline columbear2012

• Times New Roman
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 04:20:09 PM »
Do you know who REALLY needs our prayers through all this? The child Whitney and Bobby had(a girl named Bobbi,IIRC)-SHE'S needing all the love and support(and 0% of the hate)that Mama got at the height of her career.
J.M.J. God love you!

BBC America for 'Dancing With the Stars'-
GSN for games!

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 04:37:29 PM »
My thoughts and prayers go out to Cissy as well as the rest of the family. Also friends too. My condolences go out to her daughter Bobbi Kristina. I can't believe I have to say this but RIP Whitney!  :cry:

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 06:04:04 PM »
I'm also shocked and sadden to hear the news first time by my Nephew which I'd thought AT FIRST that he read somewhere online and it's a hoax like it happened to Jon Bon Jovi several weeks ago!  But I went to my facebook page to read all those post with videos of her from youtube, real articles, and how they loved her music, I now knew then this true!

My thoughts and prayers go to her family, friends, associates for this difficult time!!  I love her music and her performances in her movies The Bodyguard, Waiting To Exhale, and Cinderella. 
Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 10:07:03 PM »
The past couple of years have been really rough for music fans.  We lost Michael Jackson, England Dan Seals, Wayman Tisdale, Teddy Pendergrass, Lena Horne, Gerry Rafferty, Gil Scott-Heron, Clarence Clemons, Nate Dogg, Phoebe Snow, Amy Winehouse, Dobie Gray, and Etta James.

I had gotten off the computer around 7 PM Eastern last night so that I could spend some time playing Xbox with my kids.  About an hour later, my mother called me.  She told me that she was playing a game on Pogo and somebody in her game room mentioned that Whitney had died, and she asked me if it was true or just a rumor.  What she said came as a complete shock to me, so I quickly went into the living room and turned on CNN.  Sadly, it was true.

Like most people here, I grew up on her music, as I did with Michael Jackson's music.  Yes, she had many personal struggles, just like Michael did.  But it doesn't change that fact that Whitney and Michael were perhaps the greatest entertainers of our generation.  Elvis Presley had his personal struggles, and he was without a doubt the greatest entertainer of our parents' generation.  There will never be another Elvis, there will never be another Michael, and there will never be another Whitney.  May she rest in peace.

Well, Some People say Bobby Brown was reponable for giving her Drugs.

Whitney was a grown woman.  She was entirely capable of making her own decisions.

On a side note, I want to say that I absolutely despise weasel words such as "some people say".
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 10:12:24 PM »
What a shame. Another music icon lost. Drugs kill.  :cry:

Offline RJSchex

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 11:40:14 PM »

"Drugs are bad, mmkay?"
---Mr. Mackey, South Park

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 08:10:05 AM »

That is not what is supposed to be taken away from this. No matter what you say you cannot deny she was a musical icon. Spitting on her grave does nobody any good.

Plus, there was a search of the room and there were no illegal substances found.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »
The coroner's report has the toxicology report but it won't be disclosed for awhile. TMZ, however, is reporting that Houston died of a drug/alcohol overdose.

This is TMZ saying that, and they soil themselves over news events like this.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline JerseyBob

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 09:46:10 AM »
That is not what is supposed to be taken away from this. No matter what you say you cannot deny she was a musical icon. Spitting on her grave does nobody any good.

Plus, there was a search of the room and there were no illegal substances found.

That's exactly what young people should take away from this.  There's no doubt in my mind that Ms. Houston would still be alive if she didn't get involved with drugs.  And how is saying she was a musical icon denying she was a musical icon??   :-?

And as far as Bobby Brown is concerned: while he may not be directly responsible for Whitney Houston's death, he certainly was not a good influence in her life.

Also of interest:  http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/whitney_houston_died_from_drug_overdose_g7GiX1lkh3Yv4NF6toH2hM
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 09:56:12 AM by JerseyBob »