Author Topic: Potential New Scoring System  (Read 3489 times)

Offline BigJon

• Double Showcase Winner
Potential New Scoring System
« on: February 29, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »
After the show today (2/29), I will be discussing about a potential new scoring system.

Currently CSS players know that points earned for the day are determined by the followin

[ (SC1 Bid + SC2 Bid) / (ARP SC1 + ARP SC2 ) ] * 100 = Days score (before any bonuses)

I am some others have been discussing that if there is one cheap showcase and one expensive showcase, your score for that day is mainly affected by the more expensive showcase.

HERE are some potential changes

1. EACH SHOWCASE COUNTS EQUALLY

What may potentially to be, and in my opinion makes perfect sense, is to weight each showcase equally.
What that means is, SC1 will be worth 50% of your score and SC2 will be worth 50% of your score.

So in theory, before bonuses are applied, if you'd Exacta'd a showcase, you'd earn the full 50pts for that showcase.

In this manner, each bid is just as important on each showcase, irregardless of its value.  The scores would no longer be based on the total of your bids divided by the total of the Showcase ARP's

Here's an example

SC1 ARP = $10,000
SC1 Bid =  $9,000
Points Earned SC1 = ((9000/10000)) * 50% = 45 pts

SC2 ARP = $35,000
SC2 Bid =  $25,000
Points Earned SC1 = ((25000/35000) ) * 50% = 35.71 pts

Score for the day = 45 pts + 35.71 pts = 80.71 pts

Everything is multiplied by 50 because each showcase is worth 50% of the total score for the day

Under the current system the score would be
[(9,000 + 25,000) / (10,000 + 35,000)] * 100% = 75.56 pts

As you can see in this example, making them count equally actually increases your score for the day with equally weight ed showcase.  Of course, this could also lower your score in the same manner by garfing an expensive showcase badly

2. PARTIAL POINTS for a SINGLE SHOWCASE OVERBID

This would incorporate something new that has never happened, but still awards players SOME points for only overbidding on one showcase.  Using the new split showcase scoring, if you overbid on only ONE showcase, you would be awarded points for the showcase you underbid (remembering each showcase is worth up to 50 pts), but for the one you OVERBID, you would earn NEGATIVE points on that particular showcase.  The best possible score for a single overbid day would in theory would be just under 50 pts.

Here's a simple example

SC1 ARP = $10,000
SC1 Bid =  $9,000
Points Earned SC1 = (9K / 10K) * 50% = 45pts

SC2 ARP = $10,000
SC2 Bid =  $11,000
Points Earned SC2 = (1 - (11K / 10K)) * 50% = -5pts

(1 - (11K / 10K)) is performed to get the percentage that the player overbid on that showcase

Score for the day = 45 pts + (-5 pts) = 40 pts

Current System score = 0 pts, no math required :)

(the player overbid by 10% of the value of the showcase which is why there is 1 - 1.1 = -.1; -.1 * 50 = -5

NOW, what if you overbid on BOTH showcases?
Well because of the partial points for a single overbid, if you overbid on both showcase, you can now see that you will lose points for the day because of negative point earnings for the day on each showcase.

So in theory, if you have 2 days of play, 1 that you overbid just 1 showcase, and the next you double over, it is now more likely that you will at least combined earned SOME points between the two days vs two zeros.

The best possible score theoretically on a double overbid day would be just under 0pts

Of course, if you overbid on ANY showcase, multipliers and bonuses will still as usual be forfeited.

I believe that with at LEAST the item is bullet 1, is forces our players to bid well on BOTH showcases to acheive a great score, and with the incorporation of item #2, a single overbid still awards SOME points but on the flipside DOB's will hurt you more now.

Feel free to discuss your thoughts on these items
 :-D
BigJon's TPIR will live on - CSS Host - 2nd Season; CSS Statistician 3rd Season

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: Potential New Scoring System
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:51:35 AM »
I like the idea of getting partial points even if you overbid on one showcase.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• Recap Guide
  • I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:53:31 AM »
I think this proposal is the "Great Neutralizer" of the Aggressive vs. Conservative fight. However, my status for S41 is unknown at this point. (I am looking at a Spring 2013 graduation.) - May spend S41 on a partial-full time. (Yes that's an oxymoron.) So basically I'd sign off on anything.

If it was me running, I'd probably stick status quo, but we'll see.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 10:55:39 AM »
It is very confusing to me right now, but I am sure if this system did get implemented, I would understand it more once my scores were posted.  That would pretty much put the css calculator out of commission.

Offline Bryan

• In the Audience
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:57:50 AM »
I don't like the negative overbid. That should still be 0 imo, but everything else is fine.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 10:59:02 AM »
I disagree wholeheartedly with this.  Why change the system when it isn't even "broken"?

It seems to disagree with the point of the show.  Negative points for a DOB?  The show doesn't take things AWAY from the stage players if they double overbid.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• Recap Guide
  • I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 11:10:32 AM »
It is very confusing to me right now, but I am sure if this system did get implemented, I would understand it more once my scores were posted.  That would pretty much put the css calculator out of commission.
VizBasic can always recode it.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline BigJon

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »
I disagree wholeheartedly with this.  Why change the system when it isn't even "broken"?

It seems to disagree with the point of the show.  Negative points for a DOB?  The show doesn't take things AWAY from the stage players if they double overbid.

Now this is a GREAT point here....
BigJon's TPIR will live on - CSS Host - 2nd Season; CSS Statistician 3rd Season

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 12:07:29 PM »
This system looks fairly complicated, and I don't like the thought of earning negative points on something
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline TBK_Travis

• Outside in Line
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 12:09:30 PM »
What about giving someone just 0 for the showcases they overbid on?

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 12:30:42 PM »
What about giving someone just 0 for the showcases they overbid on?

That sounds reasonable.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 09:00:39 PM »
I don't see myself playing CSS much in the foreseeable future because of responsibilities at work, but having played the game for 3 years, I'd recommend sticking with the current system.

There are lots of what-ifs that would have to be considered before putting the new system into place.  For example, you'd have determine whether or not overbidding a showcase would still disqualify a player from receiving cash on the other showcase.  You'd also have to figure out how some of the multipliers would work with the new system.  For example, would a DSW double your score for both showcases, or just for the one you got the DSW on?

I also dislike the negative points for overbidding.  Overbids should be worth zero.  No more, no less.

If you do want to switch to the new system, I would consider giving it a "trial period" of sorts this spring, in which you post people's scores using the new system next to the "real" scores using the current system.  That way people would be able to get a feel for how the new system would affect their scores before any changes are actually implemented.  You could use feedback from the trial to determine which scoring system more people prefer.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 10:32:46 PM »
I think I'm just going to pretend I didn't see a proposal at the top of this thread that there be a way to lose points.  That is absolutely asinine and should never have been suggested.

I'm not crazy about the idea of getting points even if you go over on one showcase, either.  It decreases the importance of good bidding, and it makes the game less like the Showcase...which is pretty silly, seeing as the game is supposed to be centered around playing the Showcase.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 06:49:02 AM »
I think I'm just going to pretend I didn't see a proposal at the top of this thread that there be a way to lose points.  That is absolutely asinine and should never have been suggested.

I'm not crazy about the idea of getting points even if you go over on one showcase, either.  It decreases the importance of good bidding, and it makes the game less like the Showcase...which is pretty silly, seeing as the game is supposed to be centered around playing the Showcase.

I know I haven't played CSS since winning it a few seasons back, but I agree with Steve's post for what it's worth.

Players who go to the effort of being in chat and playing CSS shouldn't have the risk of being penalized for playing by losing points.

The whole ethos on the show is to bid as close to the ARP without going over.  If you are over by even just one dollar then you win nothing.   CSS should be the same.  Otherwise you're allowing people to go ultra-aggressive on one showcase without much risk.

I also think the scoring system on these sorts of games needs to be simple so people can work their own score out quickly within minutes of the showcase totals being revealed.  (I still haven't worked out how the scoring in FPG works :P )

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 09:03:40 AM »
I also think the scoring system on these sorts of games needs to be simple so people can work their own score out quickly within minutes of the showcase totals being revealed.  (I still haven't worked out how the scoring in FPG works :P )
Friend of CSS, vizualbasicwizard has made an easy CSS Calculator that does exactly that.

As for this change in the game, I too am not a fan. While I have had particular bad luck with blown DSWs the past few weeks, I still believe that I should just get a zero for my performance.

This change takes out the exciting pain that could come from DSWSDing. You lose some of the excitement. While I thought the idea for it was admirable, what makes CSS is the pain. Not to mention that Blitzing, which has already become a rarity, will be practically extinct. Wipeouts as well would cease to exist.

Again, I like that people thought of those who have blown DSWs or gotten bad WSDs, but the drama that comes from it under the current system is still fun for me.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.