Author Topic: The Price Is Right Australia - 2012 series  (Read 104086 times)

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
Re: The Price Is Right Australia - 2012 series
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 03:29:30 AM »
I think they are going to just paint the old props and reuse them im sure they are somewhere in storage. If the show is starting production next week theirs really no time to build 40 new props? Unless they planned this a while ago?

I think it's definitely been in the planning stages for a long time (it's been rumoured since at least last July or whenever it was Seven flew Larry to LA to film that bit for his morning show), but this is only the first we've officially heard about it.

More to the point, if the props are in storage they'd have been at Channel 9's studios in Melbourne, which were relocated in 2010. I'd find it incredibly unlikely they didn't destroy them during the move, and even less so that Nine would be willing to give them to Seven given how competitive they are.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:32:24 AM by theamazingracer »

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 03:55:04 AM »
I think they would be missing out badly if they just re-used all of the games from the Channel 9 version.   Given that the game selection will be limited compared to the US version, they need to cut some of the weaker games and include some of the more interesting ones - Push Over and Plinko being two examples!   

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 09:36:12 AM »
Agreed. Sometimes it's not even that a game is "weaker", it's just that there's no need for it. I loved the brief time we had with Line 'Em Up, but with our version's Temptation having three choices for each digit (usually with one prize only having two), it was the same exact game with an extra freebie. We don't need both, and Temptation is a far more exciting game with how Larry handles them.

I think there's probably ten games (nine old and one new) we can tentatively "confirm" right now, even without knowing what they have planned -- Cliff Hangers, Hole In One, Bump, Safe Crackers, One Dollar Deal, Race Game, Dice Game, Any Number, Two Price Tags, and Pay The Rent. The only one I have even a niggling doubt about is Safe Crackers, but surely it'll be there.

They may not be obvious choices, but Cover Up and Make Your Move definitely need to stay. 5 Price Tags and Money Game too, given how well Larry hosts them. Conversely, while I love the games, I'd be happy never to see Larry try and explain One Away or Switcheroo again. Magic Number is probably out if the prop's been destroyed. Clock Game's awesome Medieval-themed prop absolutely makes or breaks the game. The electrics were already on the way out by the end of the last version, so even if the prop still exists I doubt we'll see it again. Side By Side was pretty much retired to make room for Flip Flop anyway. The former is much less confusing, but they'll keep the latter instead. With the other two quickies (Squeeze Play and Switch?), we'll probably only keep one, but it doesn't really matter which, as neither has the appeal of the US versions without the peppy sound effects -- in fact Squeeze Play's grinding was downright AWFUL. 2 For The Price Of 1 is a crapshoot a lot of the time, and I can see Seven loving that. It stays even though it probably shouldn't. Range Game slows the show down, which Seven definitely doesn't want if the relaunch competes against Hot Seat.

That leaves Grocery Game and Buy Or Sell. Buy Or Sell was a bit weird down here. They built the bank prop to the same four-digit size as the US version, but with price differences almost always less than $100 and frequently less than $50, it was kind of pointless and the game was needlessly difficult. I see More Or Less as the obvious replacement. Grocery Game's electric cash register to coincide with the fugly set revamp ruined the game with how hard it was for the camera to get a decent shot. If it comes back, they'd need to bring back the old register. Again, I'm not sure it still exists or works. Perhaps they could kill two birds with one stone here, combining the grocery aspect of GG and the "save $1" aspect of BOS to give us Super Saver? Highly unlikely, though. I'd think we'd get MOL to replace BOS, and just use PTR as a replacement Grocery Game, even though I'd rather we had more than two grocery games.

That gives us a likely pool of 18 games. We had 27 in the last version, so we'd need to get some more from the US. Of the other retired US games, On The Spot, Bargain Bar, and Make Your Mark are very, very remote chances; nothing else has a hope of being included. Of the current US games that would be "new" (even though some would have been used in Turps's versions - and wouldn't that be a fitting tribute?), there's probably only about eleven that would work down here: Check Out, Danger Price, Gas Money, Golden Road, It's In The Bag, Pathfinder, Push Over, Stack The Deck, Take Two, Ten Chances, and That's Too Much!.

Pathfinder's definitely worth it, especially without the sunken audience pit -- it could even work better here. TTM! could be a worthy replacement for Range Game if they came up with a better set design. Push Over's also in -- it fills a quickie slot without being lame. Larry could even replace "China" with "Hollywood" and make cheesy jokes at Drew's expense. If I'm right in thinking we'll be getting PTR, we don't really need the far superior IITB. Stack The Deck NEEDS to be in -- it's easily the best game of the Noughties. Golden Road is very unlikely, but would be welcome. Danger Price and Gas Money are both cool, but have similar (if not identical gameplay). If we get one, we won't get the other. Danger Price is more likely. Take Two... I doubt it, it hasn't been used outside the US before, right? Check Out is an outside chance but one that probably should happen. If we get Ten Chances, it'll use the original "four-digit final prize" rules.

So, in summary, I hope/predict we'll get 25 games, sixteen old and nine new: Any Number, Bump, Check Out, Cliff Hangers, Cover Up, Danger Price, Dice Game, Flip Flop, Hole In One, Make Your Move, Money Game, More Or Less, One Dollar Deal, Pathfinder, Pay The Rent, Push Over, Race Game, Safe Crackers, Squeeze Play, Stack The Deck, Ten Chances, That's Too Much!, 2 For The Price Of 1, 2 Price Tags, 5 Price Tags. That's a good ratio to keep fans of the old version happy while still allowing for innovation in a tried-and-tested format, and it gives Larry plenty of new material to work with.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 11:40:28 PM »
I didn't read all of that, but 25 games is too few, particularly if some of those include quick games.  Even the last version had 27.

Not sure if those overseas can view it but one of the great Price Is Right contestants, Mad Mary, had a reunion with Larry on his morning show today.  They've replayed her clip several times since the show was announced.  Based on her interview today, it is safe to say that she really is as crazy as what she was in that famous clip of her!!

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-morning-show/video/-/watch/28811278/larrys-price-is-right-reunion/

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 03:04:23 AM »
I think it's definitely been in the planning stages for a long time (it's been rumoured since at least last July or whenever it was Seven flew Larry to LA to film that bit for his morning show), but this is only the first we've officially heard about it.

More to the point, if the props are in storage they'd have been at Channel 9's studios in Melbourne, which were relocated in 2010. I'd find it incredibly unlikely they didn't destroy them during the move, and even less so that Nine would be willing to give them to Seven given how competitive they are.

I wonder if Shawn the announcer is going to rejoin Larry on this version. I don't think he would be since hes was on the Channel 9 version. I never thought about that with the props and set pieces. I know the France version props are much larger they might just use similar looking props. I just hope its not a hot mess like the French Version too much playing and little game play.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 09:12:24 PM »
Not sure if those overseas can view it but one of the great Price Is Right contestants, Mad Mary, had a reunion with Larry on his morning show today.  They've replayed her clip several times since the show was announced.  Based on her interview today, it is safe to say that she really is as crazy as what she was in that famous clip of her!!

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-morning-show/video/-/watch/28811278/larrys-price-is-right-reunion/

Now on youtube

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 12:30:54 AM »
Today was the first taping day of the new series.  Here's Larry in front of....the Larry wall?

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 12:42:56 AM »
Looks like it'll be a clamshell door with a video screen on it?

I wonder if Shawn the announcer is going to rejoin Larry on this version. I don't think he would be since hes was on the Channel 9 version.

I doubt it. It'll probably be John Deeks.

I didn't read all of that, but 25 games is too few, particularly if some of those include quick games.  Even the last version had 27.

But 25 is the same number that version started with - Flip Flop and Line 'Em Up were added later in the run.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 04:35:33 PM »
Today was the first taping day of the new series.  Here's Larry in front of....the Larry wall?

According to the french version the doors are also video walls

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 11:13:07 PM »
Another shot of the set, from TV Tonight:

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 05:37:55 AM »
Contestant name tag :)

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 04:17:07 AM »
How on earth have they backtracked technologically since the last version? Why are we back to handwritten nametags?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
How on earth have they backtracked technologically since the last version? Why are we back to handwritten nametags?

Why not?  Exactly how is that a bad thing?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 01:14:47 AM »
I question whether the computerized name tags actually saved much time.

I actually really like the above name tag.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »
Finally have a start time - first show airs next Monday 7 May at 5pm.  :)

Now, if someone tells me what equipment I need to record off a tv I might see what I can do about getting some footage...