Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/16/2012 (Graduation Day)  (Read 14620 times)

Offline stardf29

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPiR Recap - 4/16/2012 (Graduation Day)
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 09:28:57 PM »
If not obvious, then at least the last item should not be as horribly deceptive as this day's (and many other days') setup was; most should get it, with only the occasional clueless person losing out on the third roll.

Besides, even with 3 rolls, a contestant only has about a 50% chance of winning, and that's if they never consider bailing out (so the actual probability of winning the car is somewhat lower).

With 2 rolls, the probability of winning the car drops to about 24%, not considering bailouts.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 09:56:40 PM »
Kitch,

Thank you for all your help and hard work with the recaps!  You are a true friend and your work will be missed!

A sad show for Graduates.  This is one to skip-over.

Joe

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 11:02:25 PM »
By "trivially" do you mean "the answers should be obvious"?

Absolutely.  The pricing was always intended to be incidental in Let 'em Roll -- you'd zip through it, and then you'd climb the stairs (or walk behind the table) and take your three rolls.  It's not an accident that the game went entire seasons under Roger without anyone making a mistake.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 10:00:13 PM »
I always thought the Let 'Em Roll grocery portion was too easy under Roger.

I can understand wanting people to get two rolls, but having three every single time is quite boring.

At that point, might as well just give them the dice and get rid of the pricing all together.

However, we have most certainly swung the other way.  Most of the time it is set up for two rolls, but the last GP is super deceptive.

A happy medium needs to be found.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 10:23:50 PM »
I can understand wanting people to get two rolls, but having three every single time is quite boring.

You know what's even more boring?  People only having two rolls.

I'll say it again:  The pricing portion of Let 'em Roll is intended to be 100% incidental.  It was never meant to be an important part of the game.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline MyNameIsMichael

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2012, 02:15:59 AM »
I always thought the Let 'Em Roll grocery portion was too easy under Roger.

At that point, might as well just give them the dice and get rid of the pricing all together.

With the obvious higher-lower choices under Roger, it became obvious to me that the game was intended to give the player three rolls to try to win the car.

The reason that there are products involved is because there has to be a some sort of pricing connected to the game, since rolling the dice has nothing to do with the price of the car.

Evidently, Roger thought the game works best when it's fully played out with three rolls. I would agree.