Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/2/2012  (Read 38699 times)

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/2/2012
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »
I'd be willing to bet good money, though, that every single one of them went out of his way to acquire said car and did not just happen to win it on a game show.

No kidding!

Look, you and I are just going to have to disagree on offering classic cars as a prize. Besides, I think it was you who said many times that you didn't like it when Drew mocks the prizes (e.g., the small prizes of Switcheroo) but yet, it's OK when we do.

If we all are going to talk the talk, we're going to have to walk the walk – that is, if it's not OK for Drew to do something, it ought not be OK for us to engage in the same behavior.

Again, if the contestant doesn't like the prize, he/she can refuse it or take a cash substitute.

Brian
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:00:50 AM by Briguy »

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »
If you don't want the car, refuse it, take a cash equivalent – or (better yet) give it to grandpa, who probably loves classic cars anyway.
Again, if the contestant doesn't like the prize, he/she can refuse it or take a cash substitute.
Problem: contestants do not get to choose whether to take a cash substitute. Only the show can substitute anything for its cash equivalent; otherwise, the player must either take or forfeit any or all prizes won.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:40:54 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 02:51:01 PM »
Problem: contestants do not get to choose whether to take a cash substitute. Only the show can substitute anything for its cash equivalent; otherwise, the player must either take or forfeit any or all prizes won.

Well then ... refuse the prize and accept the fact you had a bunch of fun ...

or take it and sell it off. I'm sure that a classic 1955 Buick is worth way more than $15,500.

Brian

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 03:22:52 PM »
^Still, a car that's more likely to be sold than whatever current-age car (even a luxury one) defeats the purpose of the car game.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 08:03:39 PM »
Besides, I think it was you who said many times that you didn't like it when Drew mocks the prizes (e.g., the small prizes of Switcheroo) but yet, it's OK when we do.

We aren't on national television hosting the show.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 11:15:26 PM »
We aren't on national television hosting the show.

While that may be true, I still think we ought to walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

Brian

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2012, 05:44:03 PM »
While that may be true, I still think we ought to walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

If you can't see that there's a significant difference between watching a show and hosting it, I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to try to have a discussion with you.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2012, 05:14:57 PM »
If you can't see that there's a significant difference between watching a show and hosting it, I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to try to have a discussion with you.

Here we go again. Sigh ... !

I don't think there's any point, either, in continuing this discussion since I can't seem to convince you that when we get annoyed – right or wrong – with Drew or others about various things about the show, that we ought to strive not to do the same thing. Otherwise, when we complain about Drew mocking a small prize in Switcheroo (for instance) but then we complain about the show offering a classic car ... it makes us no better. Doesn't matter to me, IMO, that we're just fans and they're just putting on some fleeting show and isn't the end of the world if they make a mistake.

This isn't the Cuban Missile Crisis or brain surgery or anything else that's close to it.

So I give up. You win, and let's just drop it.

Brian

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 03:13:02 AM »
I can't seem to convince you that when we get annoyed – right or wrong – with Drew or others about various things about the show, that we ought to strive not to do the same thing. Otherwise, when we complain about Drew mocking a small prize in Switcheroo (for instance) but then we complain about the show offering a classic car ... it makes us no better.
I do believe that what Steve is trying to say is that we are fans, so the sponsors of Price will typically not know about our comments (and further, we are not mocking the prizes themselves so much as mocking the show for using such things). Drew mocking prizes, on the other hand, is noticed because it is being done on (national) television, and hence puts those sponsors in a bad light even if they did not actually provide the items in question; his smashing groceries is far worse, as he has done it with sponsored items as well.

We are not going on television (or product-review sites, for that matter) to mock prizes or smash groceries; Drew is.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:18:18 AM by GuyWithFace »

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 09:07:20 AM »
I do believe that what Steve is trying to say is that we are fans, so the sponsors of Price will typically not know about our comments (and further, we are not mocking the prizes themselves so much as mocking the show for using such things). Drew mocking prizes, on the other hand, is noticed because it is being done on (national) television, and hence puts those sponsors in a bad light even if they did not actually provide the items in question; his smashing groceries is far worse, as he has done it with sponsored items as well.

We are not going on television (or product-review sites, for that matter) to mock prizes or smash groceries; Drew is.

I don't disagree with the fact that "we are fans" and can comment. While I don't have any statistics at hand, I would bet $100 that product sponsors, etc. DO read these boards for what we have to say. Watching the show and hearing what Drew Carey has to say about a given product – positive or negative – is hardly the only source.

More than likely, they pay people to read anything and everything where their products ARE and MIGHT BE talked about, including these forums.

Why do I say this? I work in the newspaper industry, and there are companies that have certain "contacts" that read newspapers just to see what writers and others are saying about their products ... and more importantly, to make sure that – if their name is trademarked – it is properly spelled and/or used. At one newspaper I worked for, my boss said he once got a nasty letter (hard to say if it was for that particular newspaper or another one) from the folks who created Scrabble ... a reporter had used a lower case "s" (to make it "scrabble").

Same is true for these boards.

As far as "mocking the show" – what? Why NOT be different, rather than give away the same prizes – refrigerators and micro-compact Kias/Huyndais – all the time? Sure, those prizes are always staples that should be offered, but once in awhile, be different. And if it's not been said before: Yes, I do support TPiR for offering classic cars. Some of the rest don't. Fine. And FTR – I'd think most people would go on TPiR to win cash, maybe a trip or a bigger car, for instance.

Brian
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:11:33 AM by Briguy »

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 11:05:51 AM »
While I don't have any statistics at hand, I would bet $100 that product sponsors, etc. DO read these boards for what we have to say.
The only "official" entity I am aware of is Price staff.

Same is true for these boards.
Again, you were referring to a line of work (a newspaper/company, in this case). This is a fan site, which does not work for-profit nor is any sort of official entity. Neither Hasbro nor Fremantle will sue us for badmouthing Scrabble, for example.

As far as "mocking the show" – what? Why NOT be different, rather than give away the same prizes – refrigerators and micro-compact Kias/Huyndais – all the time? Sure, those prizes are always staples that should be offered, but once in awhile, be different.
The problem is that, for about a season or two after the perfect Showcase bid of Season 37 (itself caused by giving away "the same prizes", which in turn caused several staffers to panic and blame this site), almost every prize tried to be different...such as home photo booths.

The only prizes that are regularly mocked on this site are the trips for their vagueness, addition of amenities specifically so they are hard to price, and choice of destinations (including inside California). Or the time "ten massages at a spa of your choice" was part of a Pick-A-Number prize and the player had to pick the last digit. (I have nothing against using classic cars for a three-car day, and I do applaud them for not going the route of "1970s Ford Pinto".)

You were also mistaken when you said "give away prizes", as the show rarely does that these days outside of Showcases and the prizes are more there just to look nice -- the same principle is why Pay The Rent exists.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:13:58 AM by GuyWithFace »

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2012, 12:39:10 PM »
Again, you were referring to a line of work (a newspaper/company, in this case). This is a fan site, which does not work for-profit nor is any sort of official entity. Neither Hasbro nor Fremantle will sue us for badmouthing Scrabble, for example.

You misread – the reporter was not badmouthing the board game Scrabble ... he was erroneously using a lower-case letter in reference to the game. And agreed, nobody will sue us for badmouthing their game ... except that in this "sue happy" day and age, you can never be too sure.

The problem is that, for about a season or two after the perfect Showcase bid of Season 37 (itself caused by giving away "the same prizes", which in turn caused several staffers to panic and blame this site), almost every prize tried to be different...such as home photo booths.

Why go back to the infamous "perfect Showcase" bid episode? That's dead and gone. (Big deal anymore that Drew didn't get hyped up and scream like the contestant discovered the cure for cancer or won $10 billion in Mega Millions like all of us agree ad nauseum he should have. I'm sick of hearing about it.) If it were me, I'd forget that episode and go about the daily production of the show – water under the bridge.

The only prizes that are regularly mocked on this site are the trips for their vagueness, addition of amenities specifically so they are hard to price, and choice of destinations (including inside California). Or the time "ten massages at a spa of your choice" was part of a Pick-A-Number prize and the player had to pick the last digit. (I have nothing against using classic cars for a three-car day, and I do applaud them for not going the route of "1970s Ford Pinto".)

While I agree that the trips could be more specific, why not add amenities to the prize, rather than expect the contestant to pay for it out of their own pocket? And I'm not talking about the amenities that are mocked but but routine things, such as maybe a $300-per-day cash allowance to shop, or $200-per-day allowance for meals, etc. Why NOT spoil the contestant that won the prize?

The "10 massages at a spa of your choice" – I agree this was a very poor choice of prize for Pick-A-Number; the prize is OK, but they clearly should have used another prize for this game ... as well as a setup where you're not picking the last number. FWIW: The only time I can justify the last number as the number to pick is if the prize is a new Cadillac and/or $1 million is also up for grabs.

You were also mistaken when you said "give away prizes", as the show rarely does that these days outside of Showcases and the prizes are more there just to look nice -- the same principle is why Pay The Rent exists.

So what does this statement have to do with the discussion? What I'm speaking of is about whether the show should offer classic cars as prizes – and you and I at least agree we're not against it – not about the poor win-loss ratio of shows these days.

Brian

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2012, 01:14:20 PM »
You misread – the reporter was not badmouthing the board game Scrabble ... he was erroneously using a lower-case letter in reference to the game.
Then I humbly apologize, sir.

Why go back to the infamous "perfect Showcase" bid episode? That's dead and gone. ... If it were me, I'd forget that episode and go about the daily production of the show – water under the bridge.
Partly because it was where all the current problems with the show began. Drew brought the incident up in a recent interview for "Pop My Culture" and badmouthed this site in so many ways.

While I agree that the trips could be more specific, why not add amenities to the prize, rather than expect the contestant to pay for it out of their own pocket? And I'm not talking about the amenities that are mocked but but routine things, such as maybe a $300-per-day cash allowance to shop, or $200-per-day allowance for meals, etc. Why NOT spoil the contestant that won the prize?
I agree in principle, but sometimes the cash "allowance" is added solely to prop up a low-value/two-prize Showcase. As for the per-day cash allowance, 1) some trips are just 1-3 days and/or 2) the cash is something like $1,000 altogether, which would not do much in, say, New York.

Again, I agree on spoiling the contestant, but if they are going to do so...could they at least give them First Class seats on the flights? Coach is the lowest grade of travel.

So what does this statement have to do with the discussion? What I'm speaking of is about whether the show should offer classic cars as prizes – and you and I at least agree we're not against it – not about the poor win-loss ratio of shows these days.
It was a joke regarding what you had said. Disregard it. :-)

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2012, 03:46:54 PM »
Partly because it was where all the current problems with the show began. Drew brought the incident up in a recent interview for "Pop My Culture" and badmouthed this site in so many ways.

And I thought all the show's problems began with the infamous "fried chicken" Showcase. Honestly, everyone – Drew included – need to let that incident be in the past. It happened, it aired ... nothing that can be done about it to fix it. It isn't the end of the world that the contestant wasn't congratulated like he brought peace to the world. Move on.

Again, I agree on spoiling the contestant, but if they are going to do so...could they at least give them First Class seats on the flights? Coach is the lowest grade of travel.

Well then of course let him First Class!!!!

Brian

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2012, 10:29:49 AM »
Honestly, everyone – Drew included – need to let that incident be in the past. It happened, it aired ... nothing that can be done about it to fix it. It isn't the end of the world that the contestant wasn't congratulated like he brought peace to the world. Move on.

This isn't why the incident is continually brought up (though Drew did a poor job).

It represents the single turning point for prize selection and what has driven such strange items and tacked on upgrades to trips for the last few seasons.

The fear of somebody "ruining" the show has overwhelmed the staff to the point that they can sometimes only muster up two unique prizes for showcases.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024