Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/22/2006  (Read 19629 times)

Offline gauchodirk

• In Contestant's Row
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/22/2006
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 04:12:47 PM »
After much surprise was expressed in chat today that Dallas (my birthplace) was indeed the wrong price, I rewound my DVR to discover that the Dallas trip included six nights in a one-bedroom suite at the Adolphus, which is one of the nicest hotels in town, plus a dinner at the hotel's restaurant.  I still didn't imagine that it would be as expensive as it turned out to be, but if anybody claims that they would have picked Dallas, then they are a better contestant than I.  

The Chicago trip was right on target; the Sheraton is pretty nice, and the Taste of Chicago, when it looks like the trip was expected to be taken, is a very high occupancy period for hotels here.

And when will I learn that those waverunners are as expensive as they are?  At least I knew that the trailer wasn't $150,000; that was up there with the $87,000 Ford Focus from Ten Chances a few months ago.

TWO EDITS: 1) Additional research revealed that the Adolphus' restaurant, The French Room, has been rated the best restaurant in the city by Zagat for four years running, so a dinner there is no small chunk of change.    2) Heels, your deduction is correct.  And if the outcome is unfavorable tonight, I won't be a happy camper in chat tomorrow!

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 04:26:19 PM »
Ah... now I know why the name "Dirk" is in your screen name. To avoid going off-topic too much, I'll just simply say, good luck tonight. :-)

Offline pathfinder2119

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me immortalized as a South Park character
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 05:13:54 PM »
Today's show was about average.

Barker's Bargain Bar was hard.

It was cool that they used all three doors when they played 1 Wrong Price for three trips, like with Most Expensive.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 05:17:30 PM »
Decent show today, the antics of Anthony were hillarious, especially Bob's comments: "Is it any wonder I drink at night?" Hillarious.

One thing I do not like at all is having the SP and GP games 1st and 2nd it just means we're gonna get a bunch of quick games pretty much the rest of the way. I don't mind them back to back, just not 1 and 2 to start the show off.

That was cool seeing 1WP for 3 trips in all 3 doors.

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 05:27:20 PM »
One Bid 1: Ha! I knew it had to be 980!

½ Off: Ha! I knew it had to be 12 this time!

Hole in One... or Two: Except for the Gold Bond/Space Bag snafu, that would have been my lineup. Now I see why Anne Marie wanted her brother.

Range Game: I did not care about the price this time--I just wanted Gilbert to win that piano.

Barker's Bargain Bar: As soon as I saw the three-digit bargain price for the TV, I had a hunch that would be it. Boy, was I wrong.

Any Number: Something told me the other 2 and a 1 would be in the car. I guess this is one of those games where repeating numbers is an occasional.

One Wrong Price: Abby's chance at winning a trip to Chicago has got me in discussion mode which I will explain in the Talk Forum.

Showcases: I thought Anne Marie's bid would be over, making me wonder if Abby would bid 1. I can understand Abby wanting to bid 150000 because of the trailer--it got me thinking about a Winnebago that is far more expensive than what Golden Road would offer. When she corrected it to 15000, it made me wonder if this is one of those FRTSs.

on second thought, I'll put it here:

When Rich gave the Chicago trip description that included one of the best and most popular festivals in town, Taste of Chicago, it made me question when Abby would go if she won it. It would be between the last week of June and the first full week of July. (I don't know if she would like to go on July 3.) I kinda thought prizes were not awarded to the contestant until 90 days after the air date. If that was the case and Abby did win the trip that included the festival package, she would have missed it. Another thought would be to postpone the trip for next year. Or she can go to other places around the city.
I agree with gauchodirk's post about the hotels filling up, but during the Taste, as we like to call it, almost darn near everything is filled up. I wonder if I could have seen her if she won. .... (I could go on and on with this.  :-D )
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline sternal

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 05:54:54 PM »
Yes, it's played perfectly every time.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 05:57:08 PM »

rob79 wrote:
Decent show today, the antics of Anthony were hillarious, especially Bob's comments: "Is it any wonder I drink at night?" Hillarious.

I don't think I could disagree more with this.  Anthony just seemed to be hamming it up enough to irritate Bob throughout.  I honestly was never so happy to see someone win cookware.

Other than that, I enjoyed OWP for 3 trips.  I was positive we were going to see Most Expensive, so this was a nice surprise.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 06:08:42 PM »
Let's see how much more the Dobber will kick it up in these final weeks of S34...

PG #1 - Yay!  Halfy!  :-P  "12 and 15?  Hmmm... I bet the Dob puts the money in the bottom box again."  Damn... he pulled a fast one on us today.

PG #2 - Holy crap!  SP game and GP back-to-back in the first half!  Had Anne-Marie stuck with her first instinct on the Space Bag, I would bet dollars to donuts that she would've won the $500 bonus and, ultimately, the car.

One-Bid #3 - Muffin needs a home!  Madonna, you interested in getting a friend for Gunther?  :-D

PG #4 - Yay!  Half Off cue in Bar!  :-P  Nice change of pace from "The Cats" or "Rye Bred".  Pretty gutsy move to pick the cradle over the TV, but she was right.  I would've picked the TV myself.

PG #5 - Only the second time this season they've used a $20,000+ Vibe.

PG #6 - Yay!  Three-door OWP!  :-P  Roger sure loves this game this season.  I'm not sure what the biggest surprise of this game was:  1) the fact that this is OWP's third playing in the last three weeks, or 2) the prices of the three trips.  Dallas was the one I was sure would not be wrong.  Boston looked overpriced, and Chicago looked underpriced.  Dallas is the closest to L.A. of the three, so how the hell did that one end up being the most expensive?  This game had "forced loss" written all over it.

SCSD #2 - Man, I was so sure Abby would give us a second $11,000 payday this month.  So close... :-(

Showcases - Yay!  Showcase '83 cue!  :-P

My bids - Random gym/watercraft:  $19,400.  FRTS:  $22,200.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2006, 06:34:37 PM »
Show #6387

Showcase #1
Motorized Treadmill - $1,000
Parabody Home Gym - $2,299
Fitnexx B70 Exercise Bike - $1,499
2 Yamaha VX110 Deluxe Waverunners - $17,996

Showcase #2
Mahogony Frame Mirror - $709
QCA Deluxe Ruby Spa - $6,195
Hi Lo 17' Telescoping Travel Trailer - $17,631

Modeling Report for May 22, 2006
Rachel Reynolds
Total - $38,404
Won - $26,577 (69.20%)
Lost - $11,827 (30.80%)
Record - 7-2

Lanisha Cole
Deal - $57,262
Won - $14,274 (24.93%)
Lost - $42,988 (75.07%)
Record - 9-3

Gabrielle Tuite
Total - $29,999...just $1 short of $30,000!
Won - $3,084 (10.28%)
Lost - $26,915 (89.72%)
Record - 4-3

All 30 prizes today totaled $134,793!

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2006, 09:03:04 PM »

BRB_TheFireball wrote:
One-Bid #3 - Muffin needs a home!  Madonna, you interested in getting a friend for Gunther?  :-D

Believe me, I almost wanted to hop on the next Metrolink and give Muffin a home... Awwww!

I know Bob is a dog guy, but I just love seeing cats during the adoption plugs... :)

Believe me, I wish I had been at the taping for this episode... Hole In One AND a kitty cat!
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2006, 10:21:34 PM »
Okay, let's get the unpleasantness out of the way first:  Anthony was a jerk.  He pretty clearly enjoyed showing off during the first IUFB and the entire Any Number segment.  It's not often that I'm glad the Big Wheel stops a centimeter away from the dollar, but I was today.

Now that that's not with...I love the rare times that Roger gets the small prize game and the grocery item game out of the way right off the bat.  It makes it seem like anything can happen for the rest of the show.

Hole in One was hard...and I'm embarrassed to say that I would have been putting from the first line today.  I thought the cat food was more than the Tums.

You know, Anne Marie actually had her second putt lined up better after she decided to ignore Bob.

Yay!  Range Game actually got shown before its prize today!

And you know, I was really glad Gilbert won Range Game.  I've never seen a contestant so genuinely excited over a piano.

I'm surprised Barker's Bargain Bar was won.  I wouldn't think most people would realize how expensive the show's cradles are.  Heck, I do realize it, and I still would have lost!

1 Wrong Price for trips was a nice surprise -- mainly because it actually used the staging from Most Expensive.  I have to admit, though, that I was disappointed about the prize backdrops being absent; seems like they could have just stuck those right were the stick Most Expensive's.

As soon as Abby's first spin stopped, I had a pretty good hunch she was going to win $6,000.

Abby's original Showcase bid was...wow.  It was actually funny, because you could tell she was being completely serious and wasn't trying to show off or anything.

Sternal wrote:  Any Number- Was it just me or was Anthony a little dull.

No, but he was certainly a little something.

BobboChung wrote:  Any Number: When Adam said 0, I had a bad feeling he would not win the car, since there were 0, 1, 2 in the price, and not too many people go for them, unless it was a $20K+ car. He should have gone for 1, 2, and 3 right away.

...huh?

jwatson2973 wrote:  Any Number: Tough loss. At least he didn't win the piggy bank.

You say that as though it's a good thing.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline OneDollarBob

• In the Audience
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 12:12:09 AM »
The line up was pretty satisfying today, with One Wrong Price as a nice finish with the unusual setup.

Does anybody know how often Range Game is won by stopping it on the bottom portion or letting it run all the way toward the upper portion?  I just seems you can always stop the Rangefinder square in the middle and you will win 90% of the time.  Maybe this is just a streak, but I'm sure if the dollar amount were way up in the top $200 of the range, it would be a gauranteed loss.

I like the idea of mixing up cues for BBB, but I didn't like using the Half Off cue at all.  I would rather have heard the same familiar standards, "The Cats" or "Rye Bred."  I still love it most when they use "Second Thoughts."

I thought Anthony was excruciating.  All the stalling and one-upping on his bids, the showing off, and then WHAT was that thing he kept doing with his shirt in front of the camera when he got up on stage??  Ugh.

Offline Joe_Mello

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 12:16:47 AM »
I have to believe that Anthony goes to USC with that "Don't Bruin your life" shirt.  That being said, he must a frat boy, or just a complete.....yeah.

My jaw dropped when I saw that Dallas was twice as expensive as the listed price.

I want Muffin! ^^;

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2006, 01:24:14 PM »
Unless I missed it before, they changed the font of the SP names for 1/2 Off (from Antique Oil to Incised).

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2006, 05:25:21 PM »
jaydlewis wrote:  Unless I missed it before, they changed the font of the SP names for 1/2 Off (from Antique Oil to Incised).

My God, I think you're right.  They can't seem to decide what to do with those labels -- the game's barely been around two years, and it's already used four fonts.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.