Author Topic: The Lawrence Welk Show at CBS  (Read 6519 times)

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
The Lawrence Welk Show at CBS
« on: May 22, 2006, 02:17:17 PM »
Does anyone know for sure whether or not The Lawrence Welk Show ever taped at Television City, and if it did, what studio was it in? Also, were they at CBS during their network run or syndicated run?

Watching this clip (cut and paste to your address bar -- may take some time to load) from J-Shea.com, Bob tells a rather hefty contestant named Willy that if he were to win his way on stage to not jump up and down because both he and Willy would land on top of Lawrence Welk.  If 33 was built at ground level there isn't another studio below them, rather just a basement, so somebody's bluffing.

The Lawrence Welk Show debuted on ABC in 1955, and after it was canceled by the network in 1971, it continued in syndication until 1982.  I never saw the original network series (I'm a little young for that), but I never recall hearing the opening from the syndicated series refer to Television City.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: The Lawrence Welk Show at CBS
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 03:31:54 PM »
The Lawrence Welk Show originated from the Aragon Ballroom in Venice Beach, California. Bob's comment was probably just a non-sequitur.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 04:12:30 PM »
Yes, the syndicated Lawrence Welk Show did tape at CBS Television City -- at least for a period of time. A friend of mine occasionally worked on it there during the late 1970s/early '80s.

Barker's remark about the show being "beneath" the Studio 33 stage was not accurate. I think The Lawrence Welk Show was produced in Studio 31 next door.

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 04:34:15 PM »

TVC wrote:
I think The Lawrence Welk Show was produced in Studio 31 next door.

Did the studio still have it's permanent seating at that time?
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 06:07:09 PM »
I believe the permanent Studio 31 seating was removed sometime during the mid- to late 1960s. It appears that moveable beacher-type seating was in 31 by the time All in the Family was produced there.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7wgj7/Studio31.zip

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 07:43:28 AM »
For some reason, my browser wants to open Real Player when I click to view your .zip file.  It says it needs to download a software upgrade before it can play it, but then it can't find any.  Is your file a picture or a video?

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 01:54:56 PM »
Upon "unZipping" the file, a QuickTime movie ought to appear. One suggestion is to verify that QuickTime version 7 is installed on your computer.

This clip shows the Studio 31 bleacher seating used during an All in the Family taping.

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 02:09:01 PM »
Got it, thanks!