Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/28/2012  (Read 23802 times)

Offline DMWTD

• In the Audience
  • Showcase Multiplier!
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/28/2012
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 09:19:43 PM »

That is great that MoL was won.

BTW How long till the finale? :)
Sorry for anything rude I've said in the past several months about the show and how they run things.

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 09:23:13 PM »
As of now, the August Back to School episode's the season finale this year.

Offline DMWTD

• In the Audience
  • Showcase Multiplier!
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2012, 09:27:19 PM »
So after this week they're basically in re-runs till August.

I see. Thank You. :)
Sorry for anything rude I've said in the past several months about the show and how they run things.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2012, 09:34:43 PM »
So after this week they're basically in re-runs till August.

I see. Thank You. :)

Nah, not quite. Shows are new through Monday, June 18; then Tuesday, June 19 is a make good on the episode that got pre-empted by an Obama press conference in October. THEN we're in summer reruns, aside from a July 4 episode and a Back To School episode that will presumably air in late August. So 16 more shows before we hit the rerun season.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2012, 10:18:13 PM »
The contestants row headlights graphics and steering wheels were may have been a little too much for the occasion, but they still looked cool.

Well... I'm just glad somebody finally picked El Cheapo in Money Game.  As I've said in the past, I didn't care if it was in the price or not.  I just wanted somebody to pick it.  And now that somebody did, I can stop B&Ming about it.

Speaking of El Cheapo, I would have eaten a hat if El Cheapo had been correct in Pick-a-Number.

Good Lord... where did they find all these cheap-a** products in Check-Out?  A 45-cent burrito?  Taco Bell doesn't even sell burriots for 45 cents anymore!  That was just mean.

Range Game was a forced loss.  Hell, I was the only one in chat who would have won.

And speaking of finally, somebody finally said LESS on a cheap car in More or Less!  Somebody finally won More or Less!

That's Too Third!

My showcase bids:
Focus--$21,507
F-150--$25,507

Having two people play Range Game is only slightly less stupid than having two people play Clock Game would be.  The contestant's son was literally standing there, doing nothing.
We actually discussed the possibility of couples Clock Game for a car in chat before the show this morning.  For one, how would the bidding take place?  Would one contestant bid on the first prize, and the other contestant bid on the second prize?  Would the two contestant alternate bids?  Would the two contestants just call out bids at will?  Just a mess waiting to happen.  And second, for obvious reasons, the car would have had to be the bonus prize.  Not even MR would be stupid/evil enough to make the contestants guess the car's price... even though Clock Game for a car has actually been won before.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline hirogen73

• Outside in Line
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2012, 11:02:53 PM »
You know, if I were in the administration at the Showcase winner's high school, I think I'd be pretty pissed at the show.  That bonus wasn't a prize for the contestant -- it was an event that was essentially forcing a district to scuttle an entire day of classes.  (Okay, so they're not literally forcing it, but seriously, the school's gonna look pretty bad if they decline this thing after it's been on national television.)  That majorly rubs me the wrong way, especially this late in the school year.

Having two people play Range Game is only slightly less stupid than having two people play Clock Game would be.  The contestant's son was literally standing there, doing nothing.

Did I miss something?  I didn't see where the drivers training would have to take place before the end of the school year. Or that it would have to take place during school hours or necessitate cancellation of an entire school day.

I also don't see where Range Game was anymore stupid than the other games. Because the adult was the only one could push the silly button?   The kids just stood there in every other game. The mom had to be the one screaming, "That's too much!"  The Range Game kid had just as much input as all the others.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »
Are there still schools that haven't ended for summer vacation?  I know a few districts that has already begun summer vacation either last week or the week before.  (Okay, so maybe, they are ending classes this week but isn't it a little too soon?)
Some of the northeastern states have school until well into June.  The school I work in gets out June 14 since they took the extra snow days out of the end of the year time, and when I was in school I always got out between the 21st and 25th (I've always lived in NJ).

Were the 18 year old contestants not allowed to make final decisions either? 

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2012, 11:40:20 PM »
We actually discussed the possibility of couples Clock Game for a car in chat before the show this morning.  For one, how would the bidding take place?  Would one contestant bid on the first prize, and the other contestant bid on the second prize?  Would the two contestant alternate bids?  Would the two contestants just call out bids at will?  Just a mess waiting to happen.  And second, for obvious reasons, the car would have had to be the bonus prize.  Not even MR would be stupid/evil enough to make the contestants guess the car's price... even though Clock Game for a car has actually been won before.

Clock Game was once played on a 'pairs' episode here in Australia (children aged 8-15 paired with one of their grandparents).  The boy, about 11 years old, did all the guessing while his elderly grandfather watched on, and the kid actually played it to perfection and won the prizes.

Anyway, it's nice to see More Or Less won although the lineup wasn't exactly inspiring.    Interesting that the 6 PG's each had different makes of car which two Fords then obviously in the showcases.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 12:46:55 AM »
Were the 18 year old contestants not allowed to make final decisions either? 

As far as I know, there was only one mentioned 18 year old contestant who made it on stage, and I don't know whether it was just for consistency, but he (the contestant) did not do a whole lot on his segment (can't remember which one it was right now, though, that he played).

I thought about that, too, since when Drew asked how old he was, he answered 18.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 01:52:35 AM »
Just a couple of things here: I found it interesting (in a bad way) that before the last item up for bids, on this special, historic day as noted by Drew over and over again, Drew said "George Gray we got time for one more contestant who are they?" to which George quickly replied "Two more..."
It made no sense to me to fall back onto the usual script on such a day. Yet another example of Drew being a lazy host.

And, think a moment about Drew's use of grammar in his statement. (one more... who are they) *shakes head again*

On another note, I too enjoyed seeing More or Less won today. :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 01:56:06 AM by GameShowKid »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2012, 02:43:10 AM »
I also don't see where Range Game was anymore stupid than the other games. Because the adult was the only one could push the silly button?   The kids just stood there in every other game. The mom had to be the one screaming, "That's too much!"  The Range Game kid had just as much input as all the others.

In other games, the other person can at least provide some kind of meaningful input.  Range Game consists entirely of pushing a button, which you really don't need two people to do.  The son in that game literally just stood there while his father looked at the audience for advice.

And pointing out that the exact same thing happened when Clock Game was played that way in Australia isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2012, 06:53:23 AM »
I like the concept of a show where people under 18 are allowed to play and win. I don't get why parental-final-decision-making-authority has to be such a big S&P issue, as it apparently is, since Wheel and Jeopardy! have done kid/teen shows frequently, with minors playing on their own. (Has Millionaire ever done an under-18 special?)

Contestants' Row is way too narrow for eight people. I don't suppose there's any way they could construct a double-wide version for future two-player shows?

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2012, 09:58:22 AM »
I like the concept of a show where people under 18 are allowed to play and win. I don't get why parental-final-decision-making-authority has to be such a big S&P issue, as it apparently is, since Wheel and Jeopardy! have done kid/teen shows frequently, with minors playing on their own. (Has Millionaire ever done an under-18 special?)

This may have something to do with the fact that Jeopardy and Wheel (and Millionaire, if it has had such a special) have special audition processes for such shows, so when they do get on they know already everything is completely fair. Anyone know any more about this?

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2012, 12:11:16 PM »
^ That would make a great deal of sense.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2012, 02:23:24 PM »
Millionaire had a show actually a show back in 2001 or 2002, beginning (US) Thanksgiving day, somewhat similar to this one- it was those under 18 and their parents. Both ultimately had say, but the order always was to be the child saying final answer, followed by the parent saying final answer, which to me indicates the parent had actually the ultimate say, and there may have been a similar S+P issue at hand here in that you had to be 18+ to make ANY kind of decision.

Not going to comment on the show- it made me far too angry, especially the bonus prize, at that price, and its effects on the budget.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!